Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default R7003SB problems

I am getting very shout telemetry range with my 14SG and R7003SB (1/8 mile or less). Same transmitter gets way over a mile with R7008SB. Is the 7003 a short range receiver for parkflyers only? Has anyone else telemetry dropouts with the 7003?

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you running the newer-revised R7003SB ((2) gold-dot version)(?)

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilliHeli View Post
Are you running the newer-revised R7003SB ((2) gold-dot version)(?)
I have no idea and was not aware there were different versions?

It's deep in the fuselage and I have to unbolt parts to see it.

Does it say on the box or does it have a different part number. I got it from Tower a couple of months ago but just started flying it.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ha good luck! I sent in my receiver to futaba and they will charge you to change it out for the gold dot? they say that there is nothing wrong with the old receiver but yet they have a gold dot reviver now. So if your like me and got the receiver when they came out your screwed!!!! Great job Futaba
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why are you screwed if you have the original R7003SB? I have 3 of them in production for over a year with no issues at all. I range check them close to a mile before I ran out of room.

-Doug
dvelez3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvelez3 View Post
Why are you screwed if you have the original R7003SB? I have 3 of them in production for over a year with no issues at all. I range check them close to a mile before I ran out of room.

-Doug
I have no problem with control range it's only the very short telemetry range that is giving me a headache. I have ordered another R7008SB as I have proof that they will have strong telemetry for over a mile. I will probably just donate the R7003SB to my club. I guess I should have headed the warnings that R7003SB receivers had problems.

Futaba should just take them off the market

Old 08-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If there is no problem with the old receiver then why did futaba come out with the update gold dot? Can you even buy a 7003 that's not old stock with out the update and gold dot? I don't think so! So there's some thing wrong with the old receiver ? If it's working for you great but Futaba is passing off there mistake on the consumer again?
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Read this thread.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=516179
Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Since Futaba used Sbus for telemetry and R7003SB Sbus does not work correctly that could be why I am having a telemetry problem. Sounds like even if I get a new 7003 from Futaba I would still not have reliable telemetry - that's why I am replacing it with a 7008.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think new revised 7003SB have 1 (one) gold dot. I got mine from Amainhobbies a month ago, and it had 1 gold dot below where the two antenna wires come out.

The photos from one of the threads here, shows 1 gold dot too.

Are there 2 gold dots also floating around??
Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got a pair last month from TowerHobbies and they both came with the gold dot.
agiaffa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

There is only one gold dot that I know of. It is located smack dab between the antenna's. I don't see how distance should be the contributing factor as to whether the telemetry works or not based on what the gold dot version fixes. I bought 4 of these receivers and was lucky enough to have my LHS replace them for me! Futaba seems to think that the flybar less crowd is a minority concern and hence consider the issue as minor and is not communicating anything to anybody including possibly dealers. Thanks again to Tom for figuring it out!
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is it safe to say buying a new R7008SB is going to be compatible with vbar (Gold Dot)?

Or should I try and get one from a LHS and visibly make sure it has the gold dot? I do use vbar and sbus2 telemetry.

Mike
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Is it safe to say buying a new R7008SB is going to be compatible with vbar (Gold Dot)?

Or should I try and get one from a LHS and visibly make sure it has the gold dot? I do use vbar and sbus2 telemetry.

Mike
Yes. No issue using Vbar and R7008SB. Only R7003SB required a new version to work safely with Vbar.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
Yes. No issue using Vbar and R7008SB. Only R7003SB required a new version to work safely with Vbar.
Sorry meant to say R7003SB DOH!. Any chance of getting an old one that has an issue with vbar if I purchase online?
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Sorry meant to say R7003SB DOH!. Any chance of getting an old one that has an issue with vbar if I purchase online?
I would think there is a definite possibility. Confirm before purchase! Cheers.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey all. I just mounted a 7003SB on my 450L after recently getting a 14SG. I have (2) 7008SB's and they work perfectly. Loved how simple it was to setup. However, I am having issues getting this Futaba 7003SB to work properly on my 450L.

Steps taken:

--I have linked the rx to the transmitter per the instructions.
--I have one wire coming from my ikon (identical setup i have on my other two helis) going into the 7003SB SBUS2 port. I tried putting it in the port 1 (sbus port) according to the manual for the sbus setup, but nothing happens. No servo moment at all. When I plug the wire into sbus2 the servos initialize, but still have no control over them. What mode should I be running in? I'm currently running in mode "A" default setting. I'm at a loss now. The 7008sb's were so easy to setup, this one however is a pain. I'm sure im missing something simple. Please help!!
kyhelicat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhelicat View Post
Hey all. I just mounted a 7003SB on my 450L after recently getting a 14SG. I have (2) 7008SB's and they work perfectly. Loved how simple it was to setup. However, I am having issues getting this Futaba 7003SB to work properly on my 450L.

Steps taken:

--I have linked the rx to the transmitter per the instructions.
--I have one wire coming from my ikon (identical setup i have on my other two helis) going into the 7003SB SBUS2 port. I tried putting it in the port 1 (sbus port) according to the manual for the sbus setup, but nothing happens. No servo moment at all. When I plug the wire into sbus2 the servos initialize, but still have no control over them. What mode should I be running in? I'm currently running in mode "A" default setting. I'm at a loss now. The 7008sb's were so easy to setup, this one however is a pain. I'm sure im missing something simple. Please help!!
I'm assuming that the other two functioning heli's are using the 7008SB's in S.BUS mode, ie line plugged into port 8? If so, my guess is that you've plugged in the connector in the wrong port on the 7003SB. It is easy to confuse orientation as on the receiver it is near impossible to tell from diagram, ie a 50/50 chance you think the same as whomever chose up vs down in the pictured representation. If you look at the R7003SB manual it is additionally keyed off one side, the bottom, being thicker. However, just from the manual you still can't tell top vs bottom, you need to visually match with the real thing as well. Futaba could really use some help in this area!

Almost forgot, it needs to go into port 1, the S.BUS port. S.BUS2 generally used for sensors. Mode A is good.

Apologies if you know this already. Cheers.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for your reply! I'm an idiot, I had the wrong polarity. Flipped the servo connector on port 1 and whola! Everything powered up and all is well now. You're correct though, their diagrams could be a bit more descriptive. Appreciate your feedback.
kyhelicat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

It's easy to do. Despite the four sockets having orientation indicated via the slot at the signal side of the connector you have to look for it and they are oriented in opposite direction one side to the other. Cables being connected from S.BUS to FBL usually do not have a Futaba connector which would force the correct orientation. Glad it's fixed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in