Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 8FG Super 3.0 to latest 5.0 update firmware

Hi all 8fg users. Im trying to update my tx to the new 5.0 software. Im using a 128mb old standard SD card, that the TX formats and recognizes ok. I can copy models to it too. No problem with the card. When insert the card in the PC it recognizes as FAT system. Ive downloaded the upgrade and the upgrade application software, (T8fgupdate.exe) but when i try to run it on my PC to start the files copy, the program returns a failure saying that the card file system is not recognized. It does the same in XP and 7 either. Anybody else has the same issue? Ive attached the image of the returning dialog box. Its not avery big trouble, because my tx is working ok, but I want to try the new features of the 5.0 version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T8fgupgrade error.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	313103  
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think your card is big enough to handle the update files. Try a larger card.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I dont think so. The manual says SD cards from 32mb.... and the updates files contained in the zipped file are veeery tiny files... 342kb and so... 128mb MUST be big enough. A complete model backup uses 512kb.. Anyway I will try.. if can find a older SD card, because all the cards current in the market are of the new SDHC cards, that are not compatible. Its a limitation that has no sense ... why Futaba is making a so upgradable TX like 8FG, and using outoftime hardware for it.... has no sense.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bear with! (as Bob says)

1 Format card in tx (probably done).
2 Turn tx off, remove card, flip prog. switch whilst there.
3 Put card in computer or via usb adapter.
4 Run upgrade software from within the folder (open the folder directly) containing firmware images (3 ?????.bin files) and wait.
5 insert card back into tx turn on, display displays options. Pick program-update. Wait until finished. turn off tx. flip prog. swtich back. turn on tx. Goto info.

Thats how I do it. However I went from 1.1 to 2.0 to 2.1 to 3.0 to 4.0 to 4.1 to 5.0.

Maybe you need/will have to go up to 4.0 then........ Though I would have thought strange as a fellow Freak had a dud socket on his tx that he repaired then went from 1.1 to 4.? or 5.0.
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a 1gig card with no issues at all in my 8FG.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Only issue I ran into was the need to format the card in the transmitter rather than the comp. Other than that the instructions at futaba-rc.com are pretty straightforward.
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default *fg Update

Anyone have an alternative site for the download. Can't seem to get the Hobbico site to cooperate this morning.

Thanks
Alan
flyalan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www2.ripmax.net/Futaba_Upgrade.aspx?UGID=8FG UK distrbuter
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in