Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Flamewheel Multirotor Support

Flamewheel Multirotor Support Flamewheel Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default A bunch of flamewheel questions

First. Which is for me? The 450 or 550. I'd like to use it for flying with a gopro using the a gear mount. If it matters, I'll be flying it with a DX8 and Naza.

Second, what motors and esc are most common, after of course the DJI brand. The less expensive the better here. Also, what is everyone's favorite source for these parts?

That's what I've got for now.

Building aerial video platforms for hire!! Consulting and custom builds available.
carguy4471 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I got my Naza and Flame wheel from ALLERC. I run it with my go pro and coudn't be happier..
bpd964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you want to fly or experiment. I have used the cheap motors and esc's. I fly DJI motors and esc's because they work. There have been some reported problems with an occasional motor or esc being DOA. Not frequent so you want to make sure that your dealer will support you in your purchase. Also the prices have come down on DJI products. Here is a list of what others have tried:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&pli=1#gid=0
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running a DJI450 with Naza and inexpensive motors and ESC's, works a treat, very stable for using my GoPro.

HobbyWing 18amp Funfly ESC's, Turnigy 2830/1100kv motors with 9x4.7 GemFan props, Turnigy 2200 35C LiPo's give 8-9 minutes flights.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUiCFs9bus[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TqP_kn_k8[/ame]
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DJI hexa 550 and like you, wondered initially which I would like better. I am very glad I picked the hexa. My friend has the 450 which is also very smooth. It has lots of power even on 3s batteries to lift a go pro. The hexa will lift more weight and is very stable. It can be turned into a beast with some setting changes. You really need to pick what kind of weight you will be throwing around. Then you can build accordingly. You may decide to go 4s with some smaller props. Maybe not. I would also suggest surfing some builds guys have done and see what worked for them. Different strokes for different folks. You know...Be careful if you want to try out some FPV with that DX8. Keep it close. You can run out of range pretty quick. Nice radio though. I run a hexa on 4s with 8 inch graupners. Using a 6000mah battery. It is a nice combo with tons of flight time. I really like my buddies 3s DJI f450. Its very pleasant to fly. 10" props on it. Very forgiving. Hope this is at least some help to you. There are some very helpful guys on here that can help.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

My 450..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Some very good information here. It is sounding like a 550 with 8 inch props might be the way to go.

I see a bec in one of these photos. Is a bec required?? What is it's function on the unit. I thought for some reason I remember hearing that you didn't need one, true?

After looking at some prices, it really doesn't seem that you save much money going with hobbywing escs. Maybe a couple dollars each, pretty negligible. Motors it seems you may be able to save a bit on. Some turnigy 2830 1000kv motors are $14.26 vs $24 for the DJI motors. About $60 worth of savings if I go with a hexa.

Also, why does DJI recommend a 30A esc? That seems a bit overkill. It looks like folks are running them on as little as 10A and 12A. Any thoughts why they recommend such a high A?

Light kits?? Are there setups made for the flamewheels? I haven't seen any on any of the websites I've been checking out. What's the skinny here?? Easiest just to get some LED strips and make 'em yourself?? Kit??

Thanks everyone, great information here!!!

Building aerial video platforms for hire!! Consulting and custom builds available.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Bec is not needed. It's for my light kit.

30a esc is plenty for the stock setup.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Naza comes with a BEC. It has a built in LED that has various visual indications like low voltage, initialization, problems, etc... It also is has a built in usb port for setting up on your computer. If you use other ESC's, disconnect the center power wires from each one. Some have left them connected with no issues though. The DJI ESC's don't have a built in BEC since they are not required. I built my friends with hobby wing 30a ESC's. Disconnected all red servo wires and it worked like a champ. His motors are not capable of 4s though. ESC's are but not the motors. The DJI motors are and are a nice size. They have built in prop adapters which really simplifies things as well. I used the DJI motors and DJI ESC's on my Hex. They work great. Run on 4s with around 16 minute flight times. If you buy the ready to go kit, you can't go wrong. Just add your receiver and battery. The light kits you see are run directly off the 3s battery system. You can wire them inline with your power if using 3s. Others have used them straight off of 4s with no issues. They are usually rated for 3s.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless you are going for a bigger camcorder in the future, F450 is adequate for GoPro. But if you are planning to go for bigger camcorder, you might want to invest into F550. Here's couple of videos taken with F450 + GoPro system.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eKg2NfdKQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx-cMB8cLG8[/ame]
shaun169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my F550 bashing around with some goggles and a Go Pro.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymonkeymark View Post
The Naza comes with a BEC. It has a built in LED that has various visual indications like low voltage, initialization, problems, etc... It also is has a built in usb port for setting up on your computer. If you use other ESC's, disconnect the center power wires from each one. Some have left them connected with no issues though. The DJI ESC's don't have a built in BEC since they are not required. I built my friends with hobby wing 30a ESC's. Disconnected all red servo wires and it worked like a champ. His motors are not capable of 4s though. ESC's are but not the motors. The DJI motors are and are a nice size. They have built in prop adapters which really simplifies things as well. I used the DJI motors and DJI ESC's on my Hex. They work great. Run on 4s with around 16 minute flight times. If you buy the ready to go kit, you can't go wrong. Just add your receiver and battery. The light kits you see are run directly off the 3s battery system. You can wire them inline with your power if using 3s. Others have used them straight off of 4s with no issues. They are usually rated for 3s.
What battery setup are you using to get 16 minute flight times?

Any sources for led lights you could share?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun169 View Post
Unless you are going for a bigger camcorder in the future, F450 is adequate for GoPro. But if you are planning to go for bigger camcorder, you might want to invest into F550. Here's couple of videos taken with F450 + GoPro system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eKg2NfdKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx-cMB8cLG8
Gorgeous video my friend! What a stunning landscape. I'd love to live in a place so beautiful. Editing is well done as well.

I think though I'm leaning toward the 550 for the added weight carrying ability more so for large batteries. I might still be on the fence on this though.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
Gorgeous video my friend! What a stunning landscape. I'd love to live in a place so beautiful. Editing is well done as well.

I think though I'm leaning toward the 550 for the added weight carrying ability more so for large batteries. I might still be on the fence on this though.

Thanks a lot
I totally agree with you on the weight as well. I initially got F450 and I've been happy with it. Just thinking I should have got 550, cuz I'm thinking of mounting 400g panasonic camcorder and the extra weight lifting from 550 would have been perfect.
shaun169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
What battery setup are you using to get 16 minute flight times?

Any sources for led lights you could share?

Hobbyking is a good source. There are others.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Accs_.html

I use a 4s 6000 mah and get a lot of flight time hovering around. 16 mins last I checked when my lipo alarm went off. It's set pretty conservatively. When I bang around I get shorter flight times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in