Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Dragonus

Dragonus Dragonus Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ultimate Dragonus 2 upgrade

First a little backstory. I've had vibes on and off with this heli for the three years I've flown it. Out of a dozen plastic headblocks, ZERO have turned true! The newer ones seem to be even more out of round than earlier versions. A few weeks ago I snapped a tail belt two feet off the ground and augered in bad enough to slightly bend my alu headblock. I asked rcer if they would cut me a break on shipping since I know of other retailers who can get a part that size from China for less than $15. They asked for proof and I provided a $5.40 example. They have not responded since. Thanks to rcer for great customer support.

So a couple nights ago lying awake in bed I had an epiphany. 18 months ago I bought a Rave 450 because Hobby Lobby couldn't get parts, go figure. After six months I converted it to FBL. So...would the stock Rave head work on the Dragonus? Turns out it works perfectly. For the first time in three years this thing is smooth like my other heli's. Apologies for the poor quality of the pic but you get the idea. In addition to the Rave head, I'm using a Gazaur Mars swashplate. This runs much tighter than the alu rcer part (go figure). I flew three flights yesterday morning after getting the linkages dialed in and it flys like a dream. Much smoother and more precise and my parts availability problem is partially solved. A big thanks to rcer. Without their lack of interest and poor parts support I would never have been inspired to even try this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0807.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	198574  
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW that's definitely something to think about Feapril!!! I had a blade strike which only damaged my blades. But after spooling it up w/o the blades I noticed that damn head block is off AGAIN!!! I've been at it trying to get it back on square but it's a BIG P.I.T.A. Had to step away from it before I body slam it! On top of that the brand new Jesus bolt I put in there is already stripped and I can't get it out(just turns).
The thing is that it wasnt even that bad of a blade strike. I didn't even bend anything(flybar,spindle,main shaft). That head block has ruined my relationship with this heli and if I knew I could sell it for a half decent price I would and save up and get a Trex 550!!!
What you said about Rcer sounds just about right as their customer service SUCKS and they act like they did us a favor in producing this heli and we are lucky we can even get parts for it. I tell ya if I had to do it again I would of just went with Align. WAY more support and WAY easier to get parts. I just had to be different!
Sorry about the rant but I've almost given up on it!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

rc247 I had you in mind when I posted that. Even though its like putting a Ferrari V8 into an IROC-Z it worked in my case since I had the parts lying around. Don't give up on it yet. One thing I noticed on the plastic one is the headblock can spin true but the headbutton hole is off center, giving the appearance the whole unit is off. One way to tell is to micrometer the flybar with paddles off to ensure they are dead even. Then spin the head. If both ends of the flybar extend the same distance over the boom the head is true and the hole is off. Take a deep breath and try again tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got that head block off and to my surprise it seems like my main shaft has a ever so slight bend (I've had a good number of crashes without bending that sucker) that I couldn't see by rolling it on the glass table. So here I was blaming it on my poor little head block. BTW it's a whole CNC head with the hardened shaft. Anyways I now need some new main shafts but of course I'll have to go thru either Rcer or Ark as Hobby People has them Out of Stock. So once I get some more shafts I'll be up again and hopefully I'll get that headblock on square on the 1st shot this time. Thanks for your help Feapril and if anyone has a spare hardened shaft on hand, I'll buy it from ya! Otherwise I'll Probally just wait for Hobby People to get them back. HOPEFULLY!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one if you are interested. I'm traveling this week but could probably ship out next Friday or Saturday. Hobby People are getting out of the Dragonus business and as much as it pains me to say it, I might be too. I might sell you my lot of spare cheap if you want to stay "in".
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't flown my in a while so I haven't needed parts lately. Are they hard to get now a days?
3DMP-V50 FB nitro
spence46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

In a word yes. You can't get parts without paying through the nose on shipping. R'cer is your only real option. I'll probably get out of the Dragonus business soon. Too bad as I learned how to fly on this heli three years ago.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spare Parts For the Dragonus

I guess I have to say Ive been lucky ever since I buoght mine Ive watched hobby people for sales and when they have them 9 out of 10 the dragonus kit is on sale!! So I just buy a spare I have 2 Fully flying Dragons and I have to say the are great. I did have issue with a Carbon fiber tailboom was toooooo Long When i was putting it together that I bought from rcer??? Well I hacve to say it didnt take long before I got out the dremel and did some mods. Works great now. If anyone needs parts Let me know and we can talk. the whole kit has been on sale for $40
rcrentz1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to butt in here, and kinda late too, I just got a ad in the E-mail from Hobby Peeps and they are selling the Dragonus II 450 for $69.00, no electronics of course. I really love the looks/shape of it, research led me here and I am so disappointed with what I have just read...*sigh*...guess I better pass it up....Too bad, it has all the looks of what I like too, drat!!! For a coupla minutes there I thought I was gonna get one sharp heli...Double drat!! Well, good luck to ya'll.
AMA#958232
Blue38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, I was considering 1 also. I like being different as well.1 thing I can say I have a Gazaur Poseidon 480 and I love it! 1 basic supplier for parts , but fantastic customer support! Dave at Mars 480 is the supplier and he will even press your owb if you need him to and send assembled! Quick to answer e-mails and the like. Guess I will get another Gazaur instead, the Mars this time. My other Helis are Gaui, avoiding the align koolaid
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have a Mars 480. Between that and the Dragonus, I've drank the Align coolaid because of local parts support from multiple locations. Dave is a great guy but I don't live 2.5 miles from his house like I used to in Apopka FL.

I've decided to convert my Dragonus to an Align head, again for replacement parts simplicity. Otherwise I love the look and sound (lack thereof) of the Dragonus. I'll stick with it as long as I can. It's a great beater.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just picked up a "lot" of Gauzaur! 3-5 helis + I don't live around the corner but 2-3 days shipping isn't bad. a local heli guy is still trying to get his "Align" 600 nitro airborne! All the support in the world won't get his v-bar right! Looking into Mikado for future or Protos.
ill def.. get X5 Gaui if not X7!

If I find a nice deal on a Dragonus , may still pick up! I like what I read about them and I love the look!
Good luck with the "Rare" bird, I feel for ya! Hopefully the Gazz doesn't die!
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by feapril5 View Post
I also have a Mars 480. Between that and the Dragonus, I've drank the Align coolaid because of local parts support from multiple locations. Dave is a great guy but I don't live 2.5 miles from his house like I used to in Apopka FL.

I've decided to convert my Dragonus to an Align head, again for replacement parts simplicity. Otherwise I love the look and sound (lack thereof) of the Dragonus. I'll stick with it as long as I can. It's a great beater.
I asked one of the local pilot's to maiden my Dragonus after he helped me dial it in and the main shaft/head did not spin true so before it got airborne the tail boom supports broke and the main shaft/head went seriously cockeyed. Anyway, I'm almost ready to move on and I want to know if the Align head fits the Dragonus and if the main shaft is the same which is what I would assume if the head fits?

I saw the Rave Head with Gazaur Mars swashplate posting but that may be as expensive as a complete Tarot so I just don't know. I have a complete spare Dragonus kit but I'm not feeling really confident about this helicopter at this point. I think I read that the Bearing Housings/Bearings could be out of alignment and that would make it appear as if the main shaft/head was not rotating true. Does rcer have tail boom support rods that are durable?

There is a $10 helicopter at Leadershobby.com that the local pilot was flying and he had good luck/experience with it. He did replace the bushings with BB but that is it. Now...I'm not sure I'll be as lucky but I may try it before I move on to a premium clone like the Tarot. Here's the link: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224782

I want a beater because I'm a beginner and of course I'll be doing some crashing so it makes sense not to get a cadillac helicopter.
krimo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ultimate Dragonus 2 Upgrade

I'll try to address the major concerns.

-Yes the swashplate and complete head assembly will work on the Dragonus.
-No, the mainshaft for the Trex will not work with the Dragonus because of the latitude of the main gear/belt drive assembly. You'd have to drill a hole in an additional location to make this work. You must use Dragonus main shafts.
- Every plastic head I've used on the Dragonus since fall 2009 has broken in half. Starting with a 3k rpm headspeed down to 2300. Lower speeds did equal longer life for the plastic head. Each one broke without being weakened by a previous crash. None lasted more than a week. I don't trust them and will not use them in the future.
- Your best bet is to buy a Tarot or Xheli $40 head assy and mount on the Dragonus. You'll have to use the Dragonus main shaft but this works fine.

The Dragonus makes an outstanding beater, but keep in mind, parts support is nonexistant other than through Rcer. I just put a $32 order together Saturday and the shipping was $28. My Dragonus is about to become a shelf queen. It taught me to fly helis so I can't part with it. Although, I'll sell my spares cheap if you are interested. If you buy from Rcer, stock up on hardened mainshafts and tail booms. I'm running low on booms and they are the most expensive to ship, hence my decision.

PM me if you have additional questions about what is compatible with the Drag as I've been there and done that to improve this heli and keep it going.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

-No, the mainshaft for the Trex will not work with the Dragonus because of the latitude of the main gear/belt drive assembly. You'd have to drill a hole in an additional location to make this work. You must use Dragonus main shafts.
- Every plastic head I've used on the Dragonus since fall 2009 has broken in half. Starting with a 3k rpm headspeed down to 2300. Lower speeds did equal longer life for the plastic head. Each one broke without being weakened by a previous crash. None lasted more than a week. I don't trust them and will not use them in the future.
- Your best bet is to buy a Tarot or Xheli $40 head assy and mount on the Dragonus. You'll have to use the Dragonus main shaft but this works fine.

The Dragonus makes an outstanding beater, but keep in mind, parts support is nonexistant other than through Rcer. I just put a $32 order together Saturday and the shipping was $28. My Dragonus is about to become a shelf queen. It taught me to fly helis so I can't part with it. Although, I'll sell my spares cheap if you are interested. If you buy from Rcer, stock up on hardened mainshafts and tail booms. I'm running low on booms and they are the most expensive to ship, hence my decision.

PM me if you have additional questions about what is compatible with the Drag as I've been there and done that to improve this heli and keep it going.
Thanks a lot feapril . I'll look into getting a Tarot/Xheli head asap and some hardened main shafts and Dragonus Pro boom support shafts. I think I'll have to remove my Eflight 440 (EFLM1360H) motor because it appears to have a very limited selection of pinions that fit the tapered shaft and my head speed is definitely too high.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Krimo, be sure you stock up on the tail booms, not the boom shafts. You may also use trex 450 boom supports, but the booms themselves are not compatible. Dragonus is 12.8mm vs 12 for everything else so go deep on those too,
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Krimo, be sure you stock up on the tail booms, not the boom shafts. You may also use trex 450 boom supports, but the booms themselves are not compatible. Dragonus is 12.8mm vs 12 for everything else so go deep on those too,
Aluminum or carbon? Which would you recommend? Or is it just personal preference and there is no real performance benefit. The aluminum obsidian boom costs more than the carbon one anyway.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Exactly which Trex 450 head did you use that worked with the Dragonus? Is it the Trex 450 Pro or 450 Pro V2 or 450 Sport or 450SA or 450SE or 450XL? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's hard to make out in the pic but I use the 450 Sport head. You should be able to use any 450 head from the Trex line. I like the Sport/Pro head because you only have to fidget with two links to get a clean setup.

This pic is also to give you an idea of what I'll be getting rid of when I liquidate my Dragonus stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	261821  
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never recommend carbon booms on account of potential static. Tried that once and regretted it. Anti-static spray worked only 1-2 flights. Switched back to Alu and never had static issues again. RCER has two cheap Alu booms, I'd go with either of those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in