Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Lama V3/V4 and Kob

Lama V3/V4 and Kob E-Sky Lama V3 and V4 and Kob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lama V4

If one is looking for a very easy Coaxial heli for flying indoors (I mean really indoor, in the bathroom or something) then I can really recommend the Lama V4.
It flies absolutly beautifull, is very controllable and very tough.

It is very good for practicing orientation when learning to fly a FP or outside bigger heli.

I started last month with a Thunder Titan E325... not the easist one for a first heli.
I spend hours on the sim first, which learned me to take of with the E325 and hover properly, and flying with the tail towards me.
But flying nose-in is another thing... I could do it very good on the Sim, but with a real heli, it is another thing;

The Lama is an excellent little heli to learn these things and is an excellent intermediary step between the Sim and the real thing.

my 2 cents.... for what they are worth

Heli:Raptor 50 V2 Nitro , Thunder Titan E325
Airplanes: Multiplex Easyglider Electric,ikarus Shockflyer nemesis, Gemini
patrickvdb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a Lama V3 that has been great for orientation. I do it down in the basement, a couple flights a day, and has dramatically improved my skill with my larger helicopter. I like sims but it is still a good idea to get some real world stick time.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Haha..I have 7 CP helis from 450s to 300s..FFF and orientations is not an issue anymore, but,Heli Direct had the V4 on "Deal of the day" and after reading this thread I got a wild hair and ordered one. I would like something I can fly in my bathroom (that's funny!) and brighten up the winter indoor months. Never had a coax, so call me a coax noob. Sounds like a nice way to pass some time in the confines of the indoors..it must be relatively easy to set up with a different tx. Fly all my stuff with a Fut9CHPS so I think I can just set the lama up on the 9c with an airplane program..is that correct? (Coax noob, Yikes!)
Rebuild is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep, you just replace the Crystal which comes with the Lama V4 receiver with a Futaba compatible crystal and use your favorite TX.
Indeed, you need to set it to a standard plane model.

I also had to swap the ELEV and PITCH cyclic channels on the receiver for it to work properly on my mode-2 tx

Just to sad you have to buy the thing with the TX included, otherwise it would be even more cheap.

Again, it doesn't give you the kicks of the real CP heli, but its huge fune indoors to show of when you have friends coming and impress them with your incredible heli control skills .
When my wife is watching TV, The Lama is cheerfully hopping around in the living room....

but I have to hide my Titan then, otherwise my current piloting demo skills would not be so impressive

Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickvdb View Post
Yep, you just replace the Crystal which comes with the Lama V4 receiver with a Futaba compatible crystal and use your favorite TX.
Indeed, you need to set it to a standard plane model.

I also had to swap the ELEV and PITCH cyclic channels on the receiver for it to work properly on my mode-2 tx

Just to sad you have to buy the thing with the TX included, otherwise it would be even more cheap.

Again, it doesn't give you the kicks of the real CP heli, but its huge fune indoors to show of when you have friends coming and impress them with your incredible heli control skills .
When my wife is watching TV, The Lama is cheerfully hopping around in the living room....

but I have to hide my Titan then, otherwise my current piloting demo skills would not be so impressive
Thanks, Pat..If I was to get a xtl to match my other stuff, is that the short, single conversion one or the long dual conversion jobbies? (my best guess is the short xtl)This 9C has the 60 CH selectable TP-FSM freq RF module, but it would be nice to not have to change freqs on the tx to fly the coax.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is my Lama..I dumped the stock fuse and set it up like I wanted it..flying with Fut 9C and it is a kick..nice little rig to table hop around the house..I noticed the stock fuse made things really warm after a 10 min jaunt..this gives lots of circulation and just looks kinda cool too! Likely end up maroon with gold trim. AUW is the same as the stock Lama V4 fuselage.

Edit; Oops! I lied... now that is finished it weights 10 grams more than stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0918coax0013.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	26684   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0918coax0015.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	26685   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0918coax0017.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	26686  

Last edited by Rebuild; 09-20-2007 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Add info
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm wondering, does anybody have the same problems with their Lama as I have: The GYRO drifts after a while. Each flight I need to constantly adjust the GYRO settings.
Does anybody else with a Lama also have that problem? Or even better, does anybody have a solution?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickvdb View Post
I'm wondering, does anybody have the same problems with their Lama as I have: The GYRO drifts after a while. Each flight I need to constantly adjust the GYRO settings.
Does anybody else with a Lama also have that problem? Or even better, does anybody have a solution?
No problem..just the nature of the beast. As the battery depleats and things heat up the trim will creep.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Lama 2 and Lama 4 are good beginner helicopters. Very easy to fly. A lot videos posted by people in Youtube. You can check them out. You can get the lama 2 for about $70 plus shipping, check google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
davidnyuspri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in