Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pushrod or no pushrod?

Today I found myself wondering about the tail push rod and if it's strictly necessary to have one in the first place. A possible solution could be to mount a servo so that the servo arm is the tail pitch arm one would normally connect to the push rod.

There is at least one possible con:
A servo that far out on the boom would shift CoG. Question is will it have to be too much weight too far aft with a servo powerful enough to control tail pitch?

Possible pros: Fewer links that could pop and with fewer things to adjust like push rod length there would be a simpler mechanical setup.

I say possible and would like to hear what you think. Would the cons out-weight the pros and would there be pros in the first place? Would it be technically feasable and would it offer any benefits?
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A servo is pretty heavy, placed all the way out at the end of the boom and you are looking at quite a bit of weight.

A 60g servo 5x the distance from the CoG compared to the ballast (battery usually), would require 300g to balance it. The tail could be even further out than that so the weight adds up pretty fast.

It would also reduce the flip rate (for a given cyclic input) as the mass is now farther from the axis of rotation. It is best to keep the tail as light as possible.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

great information, but I could try this first
oneonesip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good thinking.

But also ever tail tap might result in a jacked up tail servo, that might get expensive real quick.

But also I have a forward CoG now, so maybe moving the tail servo back some would center the overall weight? Hmm.
jaybyrd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did it on my old Raptor 60. It worked and there was very little flex in the pushrod (because it was about a half inch long. I just ran a long extension back to the boom with some zipties. It looked different and seemed to work fairly well. As long as you put the servo underneath the boom so the blades hit the boom and not the servo first .

That being said, I got rid of my Raptor and now have an Avant with the servo where it is meant to be, running a pushrod
anthony7820 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've done this on a camera-ship that needs the weight back there anyway. Works well.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

minuta de hierba.
zoraya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends on your goal.
If wild, smack style 3D is the goal, you want as much mass centrally located as close to the center of rotation on all three axis
The center of rotation on a conventional helicopter is the main rotor head block for cyclic and the main mast for rotation.
That's why the motor, batteries and servos are mounted close to the main blades.

If you want sedate, then just replace the tail drive, tail servo and all the mechanical stuff with a brushless motor and the tail rotor ESC. Like the small helis.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

vote for pushrod
dewafitnes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ho fatto questo su una fotocamera nave ha bisogno del peso indietro comunque. Funziona bene.
fenuz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it was a good idea all the Heli manufacturers would do it. The fact that most the best designs do not should answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P•U•L•S•E is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't see any real benefit, not like the pushrod is a problematic part.

Sticking it on the end of the tail will decrease mechanical gain and increase the chances of it getting damaged in a crash, struck by the blades or stripping the gears which almost never happens with the current locations manufacturers use, all to gain.....well, nothing really??
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sticking 100g out on the tail would destroy tail performance. Horrible whipping. Bad stops.

When designing an airframe you want as little mass as possible out on the tail..few grams for CG adjustment is fine. Whole servo is catastrophic.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

in theory push rods have a drag coexi. so if the drag is reduced to direct link, it will have a better response... i recall the same thing happening to servo geometry.. the links got shorter as the servos are closer to the axis its controlling. i think that made a big diff and as long as you can get it to work practically its just a reworking with mild benefits...i can only see 3d smack pilots noticing.

push rods are sometimes weak, snap, and have drag under extreme load i can see the benefit for those guys hammering piro moves and stressing the system. my align push rod wore out after 300 flights, has a 10 degree bend, its the thinnest thing.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Opening shot - big servo out on the tail:

Biggest Electric RC Heli by Hacker (8 min 50 sec)
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That works fine for that application because he is flying ti very mildly with zero maneuvers emphasizing the tail. You would not have to deal with any pushrod issues, but shouldn't be in the first place. I have never heard of an instance where a pushrod on the tail is a limiting factor. Having any weight that far out on the tail would destroy tail performance. Stops, starts, and piro consistency would go down the drain. Does not matter even if you had the best gyro/servo combo you could get.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

So funny, I thought about this idea years ago. Yeah, you'd eliminate any flex/slop/friction of the rod, but the weight would be a killer.

Just to give you an idea of what kind of "magnification" occurs when adding mass/extending the tail--I extended the tail of my gaui x5 65mm. That took almost 5oz of "ballast" in the front (a bigger lipo) to compensate.
Old Friends--Trex 700n, Trex 600n, Trex 700L, Compass EXO, Gaui X5, Blade 450x, Blade 180cfx, Blade 130x, Blade mcpx, Walkera 4#6
fluxcapacitor121 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in