Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Gohbee

Gohbee Gohbee Stinger and Phazor 30 50 60 90 Helicopters Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clear coat (x3) done, just drying, and being I generally SUCK at painting, despite being a single color other than the windscreen carbon look i did, I'm rather happy.
Pics to follow within 24 hours Aerosmith!
kiwibob72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finished .... Well .. up till the point I can decide to what paint scheme to use - the white give me a good base color for any future paint mods :

The last photo is prior to adding the stickers ... I used the Raptor stickers being this is just a Raptor derivative after all - well that and they were lying around, and look better IMO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9715.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	129669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9711.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	129670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9720.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	129671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9716.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	129672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9718.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	129673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9714.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	129674  

Last edited by kiwibob72; 12-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: text not right
Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good....that's a great looking Stinger. I love the carbon fiber wind screen too. Your right, the decals do help. Good job.
Thanks for the pictures.

aerosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
OK since we have a thread going here, are you guys running the stock paddles? Or what do you recomend?
On the Gohbee, I'm using the stock paddles. They work out fine for me. I'm not a hardcore 3-D pilot anyway.

aerosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmith View Post
Looks good....that's a great looking Stinger. I love the carbon fiber wind screen too. Your right, the decals do help. Good job.
Thanks for the pictures.
Thanks for the feedback, I have to admit it was a tough call between the 'purposeful' solid white, and just breaking the area up some with the decals I used. (this is me prior to final decision - )

As far as using the Raptor stickers, while not 100% correct in regards to what it actually is ..... it's near enough to a raptor being as far as I can see, it's based one, and almost identical to one where it counts! - Heck, they even advertise the compatible parts on the Gohbee site!
The only major difference I can see is in the head .... and that can be changed if i want to a larger pitch raptor head anyhow - once I can fly well enough to justify it that is!!

PS - IF you try the carbon look paint job I mentioned before in this string (re youtube link), once i used the last color layer of 'clear black' (translucent black) it looked quite a bit darker prior to the clear going on - It lightned up quite a bit after clear coats.
IMO, keep it a little darker than what you think may be right, and if in doubt, get it into the sun for a good look!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
OK since we have a thread going here, are you guys running the stock paddles? Or what do you recomend?
Depends on how you fly.
The stock paddles are great for learning up to mild 3D.
If you need more cyclic quickness than you can get from the stock paddles then try the Gohbee carbon paddles. The carbon paddles are good for hard 3D but are a little unstable for learning.

Now there is just something wrong, That is one mixed up canopy.
Align lid, Raptor decals on a Stinger.

I like it.....
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually I was thinking of going to the 4mm flybar as I have a set of Quick paddles in that size. I'd have to find some bearings for the head to do that though. They make a conversion for the Raptor head for 4mm but of course it would be different.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry but I cant help you on that one, I have never looked into converting to a 4mm flybar.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure that I'm getting ahead of my self as I haven't even flown my Stinger yet. It's just that the stock flybar seems a little too flexible and I got used to the Quick paddles on my Caliber 30.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps you have hit the nail on the head ..... as like you I am still to get my Stinger in the air ...... though I am going to leave it pretty much as the designer intended until I understand just how it flies.

That said, the only thing aside from the canopy, all I have changed so far are the tail blades, and that decision was based around a couple of reasons, firstly a discussion i read elsewhere in here on the quality of supplied tail blades, and the fact I wanted them to be white for aesthetic reasons (that and I already had some TT ones that came with the starter motor I brought off line anyhow).

After having a local 'expert' at a club give mine the once over, the general response was she is a good quality and well built bird, so I'm going to understand all the pro's and cons of it before I start ripping bits on or off.

Just my two cents worth

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Last edited by kiwibob72; 12-23-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, You're correct! I want to appologize for hijacking you thread on this anyway.
Nice Canopy and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries ...... couldn't care less what people type in here re their heli, as long as they do type it to begin with!!

Re that old saying "the only thing worse than being talked about behind your back, is not being talked about"

Anyhow, have a great Xmas everyone - perhaps next year we all hassle Dave (?) at Gohbee to do what TT did to the Raptor and upgrade the thing to a more modern spec head ... no point wasting a good airframe and just promoting electric just because it's the 'in thing'!!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Santa .... the new carbon blades and 3D tuned 3D pipe will be well utalised when the gyro shows up for my b/day next month!!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I finnally recieved the canopy that was supposed to come with my Stinger (ebay) and guess what, it's a Trex 600 canopy! Problem is though when I install it the pitch assembly hits it and trys to lift it up. Did you have to modify your canopy to avoid this or is something else going on here?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

No. I am using a nitro canopy though - not an electric which i understand is a more common add on..
I just used the existing location holes (enlarged to fit gohbee grommets of course), then just tilted the head until it fitted nice and snug on the lugs that come off the receiver tray.
Other than what is described above, the ONLY mod was the addition of a hole to allow access to the receiver on/off switch.

IF you are still finding that the pitch controls are rubbing, as per what I did on my Belt CP 450 electric when I put a Trex450 canopy on that ..... a little 'blended' trimming with a dremmel aroun the offending area (2-3mm only) was all that was required!!

Let me know if you require any close up pics (of either heli) or anything if that will heli in any way.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob, I have a Gohbee canopy but I sure like the Trex one better so I'm going to try to make it fit.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah ..... personally, the original plastic canopy that came with mine, which looks to be different to others I have seen in here, while not only a right pain in the a$$ to paint as nothing sticks to it ....... was PIG UGLY ..... in my opinion of course.
Personally I really liked the Align canopy lines, which might explane why I have one of theres on my 450 heli as well! (lol)
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a Gohbee heli, but I use the Align 600E canopies on my Raptor's. If you drill the holes for the bottom clip too far inward the canopy will get tilted downward when mounted and rub on the pitch tray. If you mount the bottom clip near the very edge of the canopy everything works perfect. I also reinforce that area and the two grommet areas with an extra layer of fiberglass. Those spots take the most strain from hard landings or being bumped when in transit to the field.

-Farrell
Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

good tip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in