Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprasm View Post
You will crush that boom eventually if you tighten the screw. Especially from crashes or vibe. On the other hand, you want that boom to be clamped down tight and not move back n forth. Cut a tiny piece of elongated plastic (usually from hard wrapping shell) and put it in between the screw and the boom. The screw will press on to the hard plastic and the plastic will bear the pressure/friction instead of the CF boom.
Thats a great tip right there ! Thanks !
Badmedicine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewerx View Post
You mean crash-test it? I hope you don't!
Lol, It's a given ! I will crash it again, and again..........
Badmedicine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good job guys, especially Timewerx! Thanks for the tips, I will try this as soon as my wow order finally comes in tomorrow. I agree on the fact that this is the most durable CP I have ever flown, and this should only make it better. The only problem I see is the non-exact amount of material you need to take away from the gear. I am sure after a few tries I will have it down and since the front gear always strips first, I will have plenty of spares to shave in no time.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good luck Jskrapper getting it right the first time!

I have updated the vinyl tape mod, just visit my sig and you'll find it from the first link.

Simply gave a more detailed (with pictures) steps on getting the vinyl tape mod, done right and some possible safety issues as well.

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Hello folks! I have updated the tail crash-proofing mod. The tail mod is now MUCH easier and faster to do as well as getting you MUCH closer to the correct tightness!

I've also updated the instructions page on the Foam blade crash-proofing mod. Should make it easier to follow and to achieve a more consistent work.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks man. I just put my new CF blades on last night and had a meeting with my cabinets in the kitchen doing direction swapping piros in idleup (no tape yet). I could not belive they held up without a scratch. My woodies would have cracked and dented and my foamies would have disintegrated.

My question is are these going to be ok for 3d since the seem to be .5g heavier than my woodies? Are there any major drawbacks to the cf's?
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, haven't tested it on CF and I've never used CF or wood blades but I presume, as long as you're impacting a flat surface regardless of material, the vinyl tape on tips will help dissipate the energy 'softly' and maybe help protect the rotorhead (impact with CF tends to damage the head, so I've read..)

I can't say anything about 3D flight, I can't do those yet.

However, flying around, I noticed handling seemed to have improved with the vinyl tape on tips! The effect was very similar to increasing headspeed! I guess that says it all!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please check after everytime you crash that the modded bevel gear didn't get loose. If it's loose enough, it will slip during flight, when you least expected it, and you will crash! You have been warned!!

You can probably guess how I figured it out. I even tried auto, woops! 4G6 can't auto! Luckily, damage was a only a carved out portion on the foam blades which was repaired in no time!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spring Clutch?

I like the idea of your gear mod. I was wondering if you had considered putting a spring between the gear and (even smaller) spacer and using that friction as a clutch? That way the gear can spin freely and the spring should be more stable over time.

I may try it unless someone else has a reason not too?!
Capnchaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, a spring might work, But metal on plastic tend to have low coefficient of friction. If you're simply depending on the spring, it could slip easily. Tiny rubber washers will work better.

Actually, I use white glue atm between the spacer and the gear because I simply don't have those tiny rubber washers! The tail rotor will get loose after you crash, inspect, and retighten collar. White glue acts like some sort of rubber for more grip between the spacer and the gear once the slipping gear has turned loose.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, a clutch plate of some sort: I was thinking (left to right): gear, washer (clutch plate), spring, spacer. Was considering a hard plastic for the washer.

Thought about rubber but did not consider that as a spring replacement until I saw it on another mod. That mod uses a metal fixing sleeve (I think from a fly bar paddle, heavily modified to fit) and rubber washers. The fixing sleeve would allow easier adjustment of the tension, but both the sleeve and the tail shaft required modification.

Have you tried silicon adhesive instead of white glue?

I am going to try to cut smaller washers from large rubber washers from the hardware store over the weekend. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnchaos View Post

That mod uses a metal fixing sleeve (I think from a fly bar paddle, heavily modified to fit) and rubber washers. The fixing sleeve would allow easier adjustment of the tension, but both the sleeve and the tail shaft required modification.

Have you tried silicon adhesive instead of white glue?
Fixing sleeve is not necessary, it will just add to the weight and complexity. The collar is enough to adjust tension.

Yes, I think silicone adhesive could work but... ...They are notorious for being quite elastic, they could slip over the spacer Too hard is bad as well. You may need to experiment using rubber washers with the right elasticity, not too soft and not too hard..

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Fixing sleeve is not necessary, it will just add to the weight and complexity. The collar is enough to adjust tension.
I suspect that is the case but I am trying to convince myself. Did you do any calculations on the problem?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, I just never had free play issues in my 4G6's tail shaft even after a crash as long as the collar is tightened up correctly. I did not have to try it since, I'm having no issues in the first place.

Like I said, it will only add to the weight with no real improvement if done with my tail crash-proofing mod.

Any added weight does exponential amount of harm on your 4G6(performance, longevity of parts, etc), so unless it gives you radical improvements (for example, 2s mod), don't do it!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow! Thanks a lot for the sticky, Steve!!!

Think I'll edit the first post to make it a lot more convenient to navigate + add my new mod. A lot of cleaning to do!

Stay tuned for the new 'frontpage'

Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can't take credit for making it a sticky... must have been one of the other Moderators... but I'm glad they thought to do it... it is most worthy of a sticky!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for supporting their actions nevertheless and thanks to the moderator who did this

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptoddd's weight reduction mods!

Please read this, very important:

Disclaimer:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=193537

Another radical mod to the ever increasing pursuit to the highest performance possible with the 4G6! Brought to you by Raptorddd

Last edited by timewerx; 06-08-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Level 3 Weight Reduction

Disclaimer:

This mod has been flight and multiple-crash-tested together with my other weight reduction mods(levels 1 and 2) and crash-proofing mods and survived without damage low-altitude, medium speed crash-survivability tests.

Please note that if you do all Levels 1 to 3 weight reduction or basically all my mods, reduction to only 70 grams gross flying weight is entirely possible!

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=2279317&postcount=82

Last edited by timewerx; 08-21-2010 at 05:13 AM..
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Improved Stock ESC cooling

Disclaimer:

Tags
4g6 peformance mods, crash proof, diy modding, timewerx, walkera 4g6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in