Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Got one!

After a much shorter than anticipated search I gots me a TDR1!
Through a friend of a friend I managed to snag this thing. Was bought as a spare, built, setup, then stripped down and sat.

I am third owner but from what I am told it hasn't been flown much or at all. I'd believe it by the looks of things.

As a bonus it has some goodies on it already
-Custom Alloy Main Gear, won't need for my usage...
-World-of-Heli LiPo tray, again no real need as I'll use Stick Packs
-Fusuno Skids. These seem flexy, is stock set more rigid?
-Tenax Canopy Clips. Looks like someone did a nice job on these. With my limited hand dexterity I'll probably swap to an RCBooya setup rather than fight with these
-High Temp Intermediate Gear

Reading that back it all sounds a little negative but I am happy with my purchase and looking forward to getting it setup and flying.

Some pics

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_142431.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	677084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_142616.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	677085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_181538-1.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	677086  

Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Excellent find! Congratulations! You will love this machine. Welcome to the club!

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

A second look with the canopy mounted these stand offs are way too long. When mounted the tail of the cano is like an inch from the boom both sides with a huge gap in the center.

So my solution is to use some RCBooya rear mounts for an Agile 5.5/7.2 which have an M3 thread and are 11mm long.

Since my Canopy is drilled to 10mm for the Tenax clips I can't use the regular Booya grommets but their Goblin ones will work.

Here's the mounts and pins near bottom of page
And the Grommets to use with regular mount hole, also near bottom
http://www.rcbooya.com/agile-helicopters.html

And the Goblin Grommets I'll need, again bottom of page
http://www.rcbooya.com/sab-goblin.html

Once I get em and have em mounted I'll post up pics
Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
Excellent find! Congratulations! You will love this machine. Welcome to the club!
I am sure I will, looking forward to building it up and getting it airborne.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats!! You are in for something special!! I remember wishing every pilot could at least once experience building and flying the TDR!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really like Tenax, they're very secure and really easy to use. Those stand-offs look a lot longer than the ones on mine though, I think with the stock ones the fit would be fine.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree they are nice but for my needs they are difficult to release with no grip strength. Explained here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=561993

I suppose I could be creative and make a 'tool' to release them but the Booya have always worked well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
I really like Tenax, they're very secure and really easy to use. Those stand-offs look a lot longer than the ones on mine though, I think with the stock ones the fit would be fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would definitely remove that alloy gear. My understanding was that they didn't last very long and were only for very high power configurations for speed flying. In fact an alloy gear was never released from Jan and only used by his team in competition, so it is "probably" manufactured by a 3rd party.

I have never wanted aftermarket parts on my TDR. Mine is 100% stock.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I would definitely remove that alloy gear. My understanding was that they didn't last very long and were only for very high power configurations for speed flying. In fact an alloy gear was never released from Jan and only used by his team in competition, so it is "probably" manufactured by a 3rd party.

It's a bronze gear and probably intended for speed flying. It's a bit odd though if it has been used for speed, it's still the first-stage stock delrin gear, not the high temp peek gear.

I don't think it will wear any quicker, it's only like the second stage in the TDRII, though it will make more noise than the stock delrin gear!

Last edited by wadders248; 10-24-2016 at 11:39 AM..
wadders248 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forgot to mention, the stock skids are more solid. I got some kind of alternative skids like that with mine, I don't know if they're Fusuno and cannot find them at the moment, but they were just a bit too flexy and my FBL unit needs the heli to be perfectly still when it boots up.

In any case it all looks good. I lucked out with mine as well in that it was in really good, nearly new, condition.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking of skids I was thinking after building my Triabolo that they looked pretty good having the carbon look and I like the way they fasten to the landing gear.
I might try them on my rebuild. i always thought that the one that Jan made, did not look as good an engineering job as the rest of the helicopter
Old 10-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Ya it's coming off, had a couple members contact me so I'm changing it out.
The gear is made by Jan though and used to be available I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
It's a bronze gear and probably intended for speed flying. It's a bit odd though if it has been used for speed, it's still the first-stage stock delrin gear, not the high temp peek gear.

I don't think it will wear any quicker, it's only like the second stage in the TDRII, though it will make more noise than the stock delrin gear!
It does have the High Temp first stage on there, maybe can't tell in the pics.
That I'll keep because I'll be using an old Scorp for now and don't want the hot pinion softening the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
I forgot to mention, the stock skids are more solid. I got some kind of alternative skids like that with mine, I don't know if they're Fusuno and cannot find them at the moment, but they were just a bit too flexy and my FBL unit needs the heli to be perfectly still when it boots up.

In any case it all looks good. I lucked out with mine as well in that it was in really good, nearly new, condition.
I figured as much and am going to order the stock setup.
I have skid clamps too on my pit table and they wouldn't work with these CF ones so gotta go.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
At the IRCHA speed competition back in 2013 I was told by Team Henseleit that they were only good for a small number of flights which is why they were not intending to release them through the store. Maybe they changed their mind or improved the materials used, but I thought I got that from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the look just the same, stock or these.

Speaking of underwhelmed on engineering, couple things I noticed were the single screw used on the anti-rotation bracket and worse so the tail servo mount. As is these parts can rotate on that single pivot point. Anyone ever have their tail servo change position on them?
I might put a drop of CA in there to bond the mounts to the chassis.

Otherwise it really is functional Art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Speaking of skids I was thinking after building my Triabolo that they looked pretty good having the carbon look and I like the way they fasten to the landing gear.
I might try them on my rebuild. i always thought that the one that Jan made, did not look as good an engineering job as the rest of the helicopter
Old 10-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well the buyer I've got lined up has bought them from Jan in the past but wants another. Says they were never listed but available.

I guess they'd wear with big power motors over time but I'd think more than a few flights.

It is crazy heavy though.
Looks nice matching the swash inner and link bushings but I'll let it go to someone who will put it to good use. After all it's that same reason I even got this machine.

Quote:
At the IRCHA speed competition back in 2013 I was told by Team Henseleit that they were only good for a small number of flights which is why they were not intending to release them through the store. Maybe they changed their mind or improved the materials used, but I thought I got that from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post

Speaking of underwhelmed on engineering, couple things I noticed were the single screw used on the anti-rotation bracket and worse so the tail servo mount. As is these parts can rotate on that single pivot point. Anyone ever have their tail servo change position on them?
I did think about that as well, it concerned me a bit that the servo could swivel but it has never been a problem, it has not moved at all.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I might put a drop of CA in there to bond the mounts to the chassis.

Otherwise it really is functional Art.
I've never had an issue since I first built mine in 2012.

90% of my bolts don't have loctite on them as per Jan's manual and they have never loosened on me. Those tail servo bolts are a couple of the bolts that he actually specifies need loctite and if the bolts are tightened adequately you should never have a problem.

I would tend to trust Jan's instructions. There are people with many hundreds of flight hours on their TDRs and nearly zero maintenance.

I oil my tail slider and swash periodically and put a bit of lube on the gears. Otherwise the only thing that seems to wear after considerable flight time are the thrust bearings. That's not to say I've ever worn mine out. Occasionally a bit of bearing wear will require re-shimming the tail or intermediate shaft bearings if you get any play.

Also you want to run your TT gear well into your castle gear. You do not want much play there. If it is loose you will get vibrations. The stock intermediate gear also needs to be looser than you might think since the Delrin expands during flight. The high temperature gear can be run a bit closer.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott,
Do you know model year (?)

And, you should ask these guys about the motor mount plates here, they know and should be able to confirm.

Your skids are Fusuno but were kind-of copied from the cf-modeltechnik types (which are much nicer imho).
http://www.cr-modelltechnik.de/rizub.htm
I always wanted to just use the 10mm CF landing skid tubes as I really liked that look.

Very nice find

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It matches 2011 manual so is that or later.
If you D/L the 2011 manual you'll see the current motor plates are slotted to accommodate 25 and 30mm spacing with up to 4mm screws.
So I am covered either way.
Thanks for lookin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilliHeli View Post
Scott,
Do you know model year (?)

And, you should ask these guys about the motor mount plates here, they know and should be able to confirm.

Your skids are Fusuno but were kind-of copied from the cf-modeltechnik types (which are much nicer imho).
http://www.cr-modelltechnik.de/rizub.htm
I always wanted to just use the 10mm CF landing skid tubes as I really liked that look.

Very nice find
Old 10-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
After a much shorter than anticipated search I gots me a TDR1!
Through a friend of a friend I managed to snag this thing. Was bought as a spare, built, setup, then stripped down and sat.

I am third owner but from what I am told it hasn't been flown much or at all. I'd believe it by the looks of things.

As a bonus it has some goodies on it already
-Custom Alloy Main Gear, won't need for my usage...
-World-of-Heli LiPo tray, again no real need as I'll use Stick Packs
-Fusuno Skids. These seem flexy, is stock set more rigid?
-Tenax Canopy Clips. Looks like someone did a nice job on these. With my limited hand dexterity I'll probably swap to an RCBooya setup rather than fight with these
-High Temp Intermediate Gear

Reading that back it all sounds a little negative but I am happy with my purchase and looking forward to getting it setup and flying.

Some pics

Nice!

I have mine in the classifieds for quite a while now. It's still available.
otavon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in