Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quality helis?

I am a newish flier, mostly been flying the Syma S107G around the house. After getting the S107G down good, I bought a Wltoys V911. I think it has problems, as I was never able to fly it well. I haven't done much recently with heli's but decided to get back into it.

I am researching a decent beginner heli, but it seems like a lot of the ones I am looking at are of questionable quality. I spend a lot of time researching whatever I am looking at buying and have figured out over the years that you get what you pay for.

I am looking for a RTF heli. Is there such a thing as a good quality, RTF heli that is not terribly expensive?
Skrimps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never much liked the 911 either. My suggestion would be to pick up an XK k110 from BangGood. The transmitter is quite decent for an RTF and the whole thing is just a little over $100. It's collective pitch, and will be a totally different experience to your Syma co-axial, but it has a stability mode that will make it easier when starting out. I love mine and still fly it regularly.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally agree with Wargamer on the XK K110. I'm a noob and bought it because people here recommended it. It will take a beating in grass. I've crashed mine numerous times without anything breaking. Stability mode is wonderful. My hovering skills have improved greatly in the month I've had her. The transmitter is the real deal unlike the one that came with my Blade 120S rtf. And the HF community is terrific. They have helped with all my questions.
tsdoubleu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

depends.. if you know you got the bug and are ready to go to a platform to learn the collective pitch helis... its a very easy transition.

youre saying bigger? how big?
there are very good helis out there but before you crash them, i recommend getting the gear to help you.
do you have a controller? a computer programmable 6+ch with a screen?
do you have a computer/simulator? those 2 will help you have tons of flight time on your real rc helicopter. I wouldn't be able to fly them at all without this stuff.

Starter pack:
DX6*789
Realflight or pheonix(pheonix is enough real flight is more quality though)
and finally the bird...

the 230s. buy one used, get used to getting a few parts, huge aftermarket out there...tons of support here as its a very popular bird(frequent posters and quick responses) and most of all the bird will help you transition to being fully responsible for every little thing,
it has a stability mode where it will make it hard to crash. it also can do the most extreme stuff so plenty room for growth

ITS in your SIM so you can practice with the same bird in there and really master a bird...once you do that youll want a real kit you build from scratch and the sim will show you which one flies the way you like...or maybe you dig deep and program the one you want in there....and end up building it in real life the same way...

hope that helps.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxxingibbous View Post
youre saying bigger? how big?
He didn't actually say anything about bigger...
230s + DX6, even used, is quite a bit more expensive than a new K110 with extra batteries and spares. But, yes, if bigger were important, and $$ not an issue, then 230s is a good option.

Quote:
ITS in your SIM so you can practice with the same bird in there and really master a bird...once you do that youll want a real kit you build from scratch and the sim will show you which one flies the way you like...or maybe you dig deep and program the one you want in there....and end up building it in real life the same way...
Not sure where this is coming from. The heli models in sims do not generally fly like the real thing, and will never give you a good sense of which heli you will like better IRL. You can't make purchase decisions that way.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want small, fixed pitch and for inside the house I would recommend the new Blade mSRs. If you want a great trainer, easy fler outside maybe the 120s, the 230s is the real ticket. It will be worth the extra money in the end to progress all types of flying. Also the parts and support are close by from Horizon.
Nytro97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in