Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ASI Mongoose Questions?

First of this is my first gasser, been flying 700 size electrics, what a change.
Zenoah G23 Futaba 9550's on cyclic, Futaba 401 gyro w/ 9254 on the tail, 9202 on throttle. 830 mm blades and 115 mm on tail. On board gen, stator gator and Futaba GV1
Ayways a few questions..
Hoovered the heli today, feels good in the air but was worried about one thing.
First off.
GV1 set up on switch to toggle off and on. Head speed set @ 1320, is this headspeed good for my setup? my throttle curves are set up as follows
Normal

ST1

ST2
Pitch set up @ +10 / -5 in normal ST1 +10 / -10 ST2 +10 / -10

GV1 failsafe set up properly
I will fly in gov mode @ all times, my throttle curves are really close to gov mode with small changes in engine RPMs when gov toggled off & on.

The reason I didnt do more than hover today is this, when I kill the engine on the deck the tail rotors quit spinning, on the bench if I turn the blades clockwise the tail blades spin, counter clockwise they dont and they should right, where do I start to fix problems.
Belt driven tail, and also the tail blades turn down, clockwise down, not up into the main rotor wash like most others. Am I missing something here.
I didnt want to have a situation arise like a need to auto rotate with no tail control..
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goose_2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	333927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goose_1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	333928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goose_3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	333929  
chrisansilver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Its normal

The machine does not have a driven tail. It will stop during an auto and the machine will pirouette at the bottom of the auto from main blade torque. Expect to be able to hover in all orientations to make a good auto with it. It does auto fine, you just need to be able to handle this condition.

Set gv1 speeds for, 1320 in normal mode, 1400 in idle up 1 and 1480 in idle up 2. Those are the best speeds I came to for this machine.

Increase the throttle curve end points to 100 perfect top and bottom for idle up 1 and 2.

All the best,

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

for the tail rotor direction, it is normal on the mongoose for them to spin down from the wash instead of up into the wash. i forgot what the explanation from ASI was for this, i will say that both my mongoose that i bought used had the tail's spinning up into the wash i have have kept them this way been flying my 'gooses' for just over a year
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default mongoose

be sure that when the tail rotor belt was installed you rotated the belt to the left as you put the the shaft thru, if not your tail rotor will rotate in the oppisite direction, I am not positive if the heli will fly with the tail spinning backwards, but having 2 mongooses to compare issues with I just went thru this... the rule here is main rotor always spins counter and tail spins clockwise.
jtv62161 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Found the thread with the response from a former ASI employee

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t671302p1/
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
Found the thread with the response from a former ASI employee

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t671302p1/
Thanks for the response, everything is fine, flew the goose with conventional setup. I opted to go with a Helicommand HC3SX today, all set up and the tail is so much better. Working on getting everything dialed in but very pleased.
Major change from my 700 sized electrics, got 4 12 minute flights in without recharging or changing out packs. Got to keep my electrics too, maybe need another gasser... just as a back up...
chrisansilver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in