Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Difference between Devo7 and Devo7E

Hello, and apologies if this is not correct forum.

I am considering getting a Genius CP V2 helicopter, and I have choice of remote to use.

I've been trying to get information on the difference between these two. I can see the 7 has more switches, but is that it? What about the menus and other functions.

So what's the difference between Devo7 and Devo7E - and should I be getting either as a starting point for small RC helicopters?

Ideally I want a remote that can connect easily to a simulator as well.
kutrovsky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either one (or any Devo) should be able to connect to Phoenix RC simulator from what I've read.

The original Devo 7 had a low resolution screen with a very annoying menu structure that made it a real headache to do setups and programming.

The new Devo7e is physically smaller, similar to the little Devo 6, but has a backlit screen and a reasonable menu structure, similar to the Devo 10, from what I hear. Plus it has a USB port for upgrades and telemetry capability.

Seems to me, you would not want the original Devo 7 unless you needed the full-size transmitter and were ok to sacrifice the ease of use and advanced features of the 7e.

But wait... are you sure you don't want the soon to be available Devo F7 FPV, with built-in video screen to show your heli's camera in real time? wow, wow, wow!

Anyway, I don't have either one of the Devo 7's, just a crappy 4-channel Devo and a WK 2801 Pro, but I'm looking at the product line deciding what to upgrade to. So far I bought the $20 Magic Cube.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for reply Rojack,

I am looking for something that is "recenet" and "cool" and will cover everything that can fly indoor.

For outdoor, cameras and etc - yes I will upgrade at that point.

So I think this answers my question. Btw, do you think I should look for a used Devo7E ?
kutrovsky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both the 7 and the 7E. I would suggest going with the 7E. It's loads easier to program and I could get it to work with Phoenix. I could never get the 7 to work with it. The 7E is only marginally more expensive.

You are sacrificing some of the switches on the TX. It only has 2 flight modes instead of three and no switches for mix, DR etc. It's also physically smaller and has a smaller antenna. I actually like the smaller form factor, but they moved the TH and FM switches from the very top to angled on the front which to me makes them a little less natural to flip. With a Genius, the smaller antenna shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't fly my larger heli with it. I may be just paranoid, but I'd rather not lose a big heli due to a dropped signal.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Did you need any additional equipment for the 7e to connect it to phoenix?
I am about to order 7e and dont know if i will need the UB-001 Flight Sim Dongle or
not in order to get connected to phoenix...
Damon.hu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

from what i've read, the 7e has a very limited range, so would only really be good for smaller helicopters.... i have a devo 6, and think it's fantastic! the only problem i have with it is that the screen can be a little hard to see in sunlight.
to use a devo remote with a sim, you'll need to get one of these.. http://www.helipal.com/walkera-ub-01...ion-cable.html
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The standard Phoenix dongle worked with the 7E. Just make sure when you do the stick calibration that you start with the sticks in the middle. If you start with the throttle at low point, then Phoenix gets confused. Took me a while to figure that one out. Doesn't everyone always keep their throttle at low point when not flying?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will have it in mind. Thanks!
Damon.hu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Devo 7 is not compatible with deViation..don't buy it! 7e is much much much better!
domcars0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Devo 7e = easier to programme, low range with <10mW output, deviation compatible, and a few other things.
Devo 7 = awkward programming, around 100mW RF out.
If you're only after short range and ease of use, go for the 7e.
If you want longer range from the get go, but aren't too bothered about ease of programming go for the 7.
The 7e range can be increased with a simple mod and the deviation possibilities allow various other models to be flown, for this reason I would opt for the latter.
Synergy E5, Gaui X5 FES, Mikado Logo 400 (sold), WK V400D02, Genius CP, CB100, 4#6, HBFPV2 and a few shelf Queens and Quad's.
Land; HPI Vorza, E Firestorm/Castle SCT 3800, Ansmann Mad Rat/Fusion race 10.5T.... Team OoPlE.
MiXiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Devo 7 WAS Walkera's "gimme" TX for RTF helis; it's based on their venerable 2400 series TX which shell it shares with the Deviation Developers' favorite TX, the Devo 10. It is not hard at all to program unless the only portable electronics you've ever used is an iPod/iPwn. If you've used computer TX before that don't have a dot matrix display and GUI, the menu tree on the Devo7 is very straightforward and quick to navigate.

It has EXCELLENT gimbals that easily blow the packets off of the 7E, and any Spektrum TX up to and including the DX7 (Which I feel the Devo7 is MUCH easier to program, within its feature set) . It is better than ANY Tactic radio made, yet they still try and sell that brand "X" turd for $150...

That said; unless you're going for JR Module Bay "Plug it & Fly ANYTHING" compatibility like I did, the Deviation firmware is a VERY powerful thing; it addresses the computer in the TX's RF module directly, allowing it to emulate many different manufacturers radio protocols just by selecting them from the menu.

If the Devo 10 came with a JR Module bay, it could truly be "One TX to Rule Them All" like the Taranis is shaping up to be. Note that the Taranis also doesn't use a color screen; it uses a mono graphics LCD for high contrast/easy transmission of data to your eyes.

The Devo6 / Devo 8 / Devo12 all add color and touchscreen to the programming interface; while it IS nice, it's no better than the Devo 10; it's just easier to learn for a first-timer.

mnem
*Tuned*
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more comment on the color touch screen. I love how easy it is to program, but it's a PITA to see in bright sunlight. If you don't use Deviation, at least download FDR's high contract library for it. It helps a lot but can't completely cure the issue.

My other complaint about the Devo 8S is that the timer alarm in the standard firmware is way too quiet and only audible if you have all of the beeps turned on in the TX. If you turn those off, it also turns the timer alarm off. Don't know why they would do this. Seems like a bug to me.

The 7E has a vibrate mode that is perfect for me when the timer expires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in