Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't figure out tail wag

Can't figure out tail wag on my first 450. Bought it already built but not properly setup mechanically or electronically. I finished the work(to the best of my knowledge) and this is what I cannot figure out. The helli will start doing this tail wag which you see in the video. I originally figured it to be a problem with to much gyro gain on tail but after i figured that out and set it in to 50-60-70% it does the same thing on all 3. Any ideas what could be causing this?

tail wag (0 min 49 sec)
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tell us a little more about your setup - which fbl unit are you using?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseeley0203 View Post
Can't figure out tail wag on my first 450. Bought it already built but not properly setup mechanically or electronically. I finished the work(to the best of my knowledge) and this is what I cannot figure out. The helli will start doing this tail wag which you see in the video. I originally figured it to be a problem with to much gyro gain on tail but after i figured that out and set it in to 50-60-70% it does the same thing on all 3. Any ideas what could be causing this?

tail wag - YouTube
Are you sure the tail is setup correctly direction wise on the controller? I've never seen a heli wag so much on the ground! Make sure the gyro is correcting the right way. Also try lowering the mechanical gain by moving in the rudder servo arm one hole in.
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 02:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the Chinese weight mod on the tail grips. Even if you have the factory weighted grips, the extra Chinese weights counteract the tennis racket effect. It will greatly improve the tail authority. It worked for me.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla912000 View Post
Try the Chinese weight mod on the tail grips. Even if you have the factory weighted grips, the extra Chinese weights counteract the tennis racket effect. It will greatly improve the tail authority. It worked for me.
As said, it will improve tail authority and will give you good benefits when flying but in this instance it feels like something is just not setup correctly - you dont need this mod to have a solid tail, only a higher performing one
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail gain settings can be highly variable based on many factors (ball link distance, helicopter, servo, tail blades, etc).

Try lowering the gain until it will spool properly.

Also try spooling up with the main blades OFF until you can bump the tail around without wagging or other unexpected behavior. If it is on a smooth, flat surface, you'll be able to do this easily and safely. As you'v noticed, you're at risk of a crash/tipover with a unpredictable tail like that.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
Tell us a little more about your setup - which fbl unit are you using?
I am using a Turnigy 3d-h v1 and tail servo would be a wk-2601h.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannakas View Post
Are you sure the tail is setup correctly direction wise on the controller? I've never seen a heli wag so much on the ground! Make sure the gyro is correcting the right way. Also try lowering the mechanical gain by moving in the rudder servo arm one hole in.
Yes it works perfectly when i disconnect the motor and pivot the heli by hand on the ground. I will try moving it in a notch on the horn like you say. Any information will help.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
Tail gain settings can be highly variable based on many factors (ball link distance, helicopter, servo, tail blades, etc).

Try lowering the gain until it will spool properly.

Also try spooling up with the main blades OFF until you can bump the tail around without wagging or other unexpected behavior. If it is on a smooth, flat surface, you'll be able to do this easily and safely. As you'v noticed, you're at risk of a crash/tipover with a unpredictable tail like that.
Good idea. That sounds a lot safer to dial the gain in. But Does it not matter that it's not fighting the torque from the main blades?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is minimal torque when the heli is at zero pitch on the ground, even with the main blades on.

I've found that if you have massive tail problems, or massive over-gain on the tail, it will wag without the main blades on on the ground.

By testing without main blades, you will be able to see if the tail behaves as expected and turns and stops as commanded. You'll know if you're in the ballpark with a bigger safety margin.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

go through the set-up again you did something wrong .
possible wrong type servo selected
I'm not familiar with your fbl unit but I can tell it's set up error

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in