Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What is the best quad to learn on?

I heard the UDI U818A is the best quad to learn on... is this true?
JimmyNutron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

this is the kind of question that will get LOTS of different responses...
I would say that the quad you mentioned is NOT the best for learning for a couple of reasons... it does not appear that the tx is programmable - this is an issue because you won't be able to make fine tune adjustments to set the transmitter dual rates and expo (even if it flies fine, you will at some point want to learn how to do this on your "next" quad).
If something breaks can you get parts?

a lot of your decision will come down to personal preference, current flying skill and budget. The Blade NanoQX is a good starter... if you already have a Spektrum radio, it will bind to it and it has 2 flight modes. In stability mode it is a very calm, forgiving quad. If you use a Spektrum radio, you will be able to set expo to your flying skill as well as multiple flight modes. with a flip of a switch you can go to acro mode on the Nano which makes it a bit more "squirrally" to fly - its there whenever you want it and are ready for it.

If you want something bigger and more complex, a DJI 450 with Naza/GPS is a good setup... with GPS, return to home and some of the other features it makes for a easy to fly bird. The issue I have seen for many is they get used to "flying the Naza" and not flying the quad - if something goes wrong it generally leads to a crash.

What is "flying the Naza"?

There are a couple modes one being IOC or Intelligent Orientation Control with the Naza controller - in this mode the nose orientation of the bird does not matter... set "home" before lift off and whatever the orientation of the nose, pull back on the cyclic and it is coming home... it is actually quite useful - I use it when I get to far out and lose orientation - simply switch to IOC and wherever it is, pull back on the cyclic and its headed back to me! The down side to this is that if you don't force yourself to learn to fly and control the bird in manual mode, you WONT be able to successfully fly without IOC because you won't learn flying other orientations. with GPS and altitude hold, it can give you a false sense of security.

The setup of a Naza is obviously more challenging than that of the Nano which you just take out of the box, charge it up and fly...

My recommendation? get a nano or similar, learn to fly all orientations... you can fly it indoors and during the process of learning to fly it, start looking at other bigger systems... read a lot and by the time you are rocking the Nano in Acro mode you will be ready and know what you want in a bigger quad.

Welcome to the madness!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyNutron View Post
A quad that:
a) Is within you budget.
b) Is crash resistant
c) Can get parts for.
d) Uses 2.4Gz band (not IR control)
e) Uses a controller style you intend using ongoing (mode 2/1 (your preference), programmable (preferably))

Whether this is model XYZ or ABC depends on all the above factors.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyNutron View Post
You can find your best quadcopter here/ There are a lot of reviews (Best Quadcopter Under $100 or Best Quadcopter with Camera Under $200) Than tell us what one you have bought.
Savran is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I would personally take recommendations from flying drones expert and drone life style with a grain of salt. IMHO they are too enamored of "dead end" or proprietary products.

Nothing wrong with that unless you take the blue pill.

I'd start with the previously mentioned Nano QX, preferably with a "real" transmitter and if all goes well then something like a Flamewheel with Naza+GPS as referenced by Badfrog.

If you find the blue pill kicking in then you'll be able to tell if you're wanting to specialize in camera ships, FPV racing, long range or autonomous or ... the list goes on.

Meantime the Nano will soldier along.

The "real" transmitter can be a bit gummy as this jacks the initial cost a bit and might jack it up a lot if you want to "future proof" the selection. Unlike CP helis where extra channels often go unused a full-boat multi will use up channels like there's no tomorrow. Mostly for flight mode selection but other interesting uses present themselves. You could wake up to find a DX-6i barely adequate depending on the proverbial blue pill.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for NanoQX for indoors. Or outdoors any 250-sized quadcopter really. Just stock up on the props. You can even build one yourself for around $150 (excluding batteries charger and transmitter).
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also add "why?"

As in "Why do you want to learn to fly quads?"

Do you think they're easier to fly than helis, and your endgame is really to fly helis? (hint, they're not really any easier to fly than a heli with similar stabilization controls).

Do you just want something to fart around with in your living room?

Does FPV racing interest you?

Maybe you want to start a career in filming with "drones".

There's a different quad better suited for each of those categories.

Buy your budget is really the limiting factor. If you only have $70 to spend, there's always the Blade Nano QX.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Yup, the heli / quad cross-over traffic is mostly in one direction.

Quads don't usually make a viable replacement for a CP heli.

But the larger CP helis make a good replacement for uber-expensive multi-rotor camera ships. Slap a Pixhawk on an 800 and it's as solid as a rock - and about as boring if your endgame is 3D. If your endgame is stability and possibly autonomous operation large CP helis work well with the proper selection of flight controller.

Such things used to be heretical if discussed in the "general" forum but us "Pixhawk on a Urukay" types are gradually wearing them down. Heresy is relative though. It's not unusual in a Bergen forum but folks in the Goblin forums will look at you like you have three heads. Not a problem though - this is the internet and you can't see them.

If you don't yet know what direction you're headed in the QX is safe harbor. Not too much invested if you wind up tossing it but plenty of fun in the meantime without being as limited as some on the beginner's sites.

Last edited by Hawk404; 09-25-2015 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: "you're" vs. "your" - drives me nuts.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally learned piloting on a traxxas alias - here is a review of it. A bit more expensive but large enough to fly outdoors on a calm day. Will also fly in rate mode and you can do nice stunts with its preprogrammed stunt features - that is a lot of fun.
haley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think if it is quads you are looking at to teach and train you like mentioned I love the nano qx. I still fly it around the house in the winter to keep up on stick control and orientations. Its a great little quad taught and helped me a great deal before going into helis.
sooners is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you already have a decent transmitter, and are looking for a small microquad that you can play around with indoors, then the Eachine QX95 is a perfect choice!
  • Less than $100 !
  • Spektrum DSM2, or FlySky, or Frsky Compatible Receivers are available
  • Can be fully tuned and programmed using CleanFlight or BetaFlight software
  • Very active discussion threads on RCGroups
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post

I'd start with the previously mentioned Nano QX, preferably with a "real" transmitter
This^ and was in fact exactly what I did 2 years ago. The Nano QX is great because:-

a) you can use it with a decent Spektrum Tx (DX8 in my case)
b) it responds just like a CP heli when in agility mode (upright only of course). You can start out with self-levelling at first to get the hang of the controls.
c) you can fly it in any small room without fear of damage (it weighs next to nothing and the props do no damage)

It's a great indoor trainer for racking up literally hundreds of flights in no time and once you can fly it in agility mode you are ready to fly any CP heli (without going inverted).

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say an inductrix or a nano qx. I love my inductrix. It flies like a bigger quad. It's great practice and it flies great outside if there is no wind. Once your comfortable with one of those get a dji phantom. Their like 400 bucks with everything you need. My cousin just got a refurbished unit for 350 with camera, gimble , transmitter, battery and charger. I'm surprised all the things it can do. Check out blades website then check out dji's.
Blade Nano CPX Spektrum DX9 Black Edition
MikeW9788 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

One other thing. If you get a blade at least it's repairable if you manage to break it. Even the inductrix is repairable. They are really tough though.
Blade Nano CPX Spektrum DX9 Black Edition
MikeW9788 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out nitrokyosho's YouTube review of the Dromida Ominus quadcopter, headed the ultimate winter practice tool. After watching his review I purchased the Dromida Ominus and he was right on. Best practice tool ever for collective pitch helis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in