Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450x review...

Okay folks, I want to hear about your experience with the 450 x as I am thinking about buying 1. I have not seen a lot of reviews on this as it is a pretty new item. Start talking

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thumbs Up

I had actually swore off the 325 class completely after owning a TREX 450 Pro and sport. Something about it never really called at me. I ended up sticking with the smaller GAUI 200, trex 250, MCPX and going to the 500 size and up. I walked into my hobby shop, got to see one flying and was pretty baffled. This heli feels to me exactly like my brushless mcpx. Its fast, really fast. I would say that it might have the ability to get away from me faster than my 250(stock motor). I read another post a few minutes ago talking about taming it a little by using the sport mode parameter. I might end up doing that for awhile.

Overall, I'm impressed. I spent my first few hours tearing it down and re-loctiting everything. I did not run across anything on my 450x that felt like it had been missed. Hopefully I got a good QC group.
dfbonney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is quick and very responsive. Also stable. I was very carful with 450 3d comming up 450x dosen't like that the. You need to remember the reciever controlls the heli when I was trying to get light on the skids still on the ground any movement you make the reciever wants the heli to move so it will amplify movements till it moves. When you just pop up (boy does it pop up) it stabilizes real fast. I am going to tame myne down as I can't fly anyway but I seem to be able to control the x lots better than 3d.
Ken125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its all about the tail. It freaking amazing. Compared to my 3G FBL 450 3D conversion I have a lot of work to do to get the tail comparable..we will see how that goes now that I have a clear bench mark.

Not as stable as my 3G yet but I have not touched a thing on the 450X so I am thinking a little more head gyro gain will get it were I want it. It may need the blades balanced based on observation.

The motor is a screamer compared to the 420 however not as fast as I expected, The 450 3D FBL weighs 20 grams more than the 450X.

Very happy
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update:

Made some adjustment to the 3G system via the software interface and now have the tail working just as good as the 450x. I have flown a few more battery through both and I am not sure which one works better. They both fly extremely well. neither does anything wrong however I did get the 450x tail to blow out once. Both are running 100% flat throttle curves, zero DR and 15 expo. The Beastx is as delivered no changes have been made.

The only reason i bought this 450x was because i wanted to try the BeastX technology. All i ever hear is how bad 3G and 3GX is well I am her to tell you my 3G is just as good as the beastx. Its all about the setup. I almost feel Iike a waisted my money but I knew this was a possibility. I am still stoked but I laugh at all the people that say 3G is garbage

Anyone that wants to convert their 450 3D over wont be disappointed AT ALL.

I would say the major difference would be the 450x has a better vertical COG because the head is 1/2 inch lower than my 450 3D with align head, I may shorten my main shaft now.

Oh yea the 440 motor is realy not much faster than my 420 the 440 stops a little better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleet.jpg
Views:	6487
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	296759  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Side by side:

450 3D 3G Align
450X

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twins1.jpg
Views:	6455
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	296760   Click image for larger version

Name:	twins2.jpg
Views:	6923
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	296761   Click image for larger version

Name:	twins3.jpg
Views:	8231
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	296762  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The B450X was set up perfect right from the box.
Programmed the recommended settings in my DX6i, checked that swash / tail movements were correct - they were, and had it flying. I never had a flybarless heli this size, and what an experience - a pure pleasure to fly!
Inverted hovers, although not 'hands off' (but close), were very stable. Did not have to make any changes to the AR7200BX parameters yet, but it does give you room to fine tune if you wish. The 440 motor has power to spare. For me, where I really noticed the flight stability was in inverted hover. Felt like I could almost place the transmitter on the ground for a few seconds, pick it up, and continue (no, don't try this!!).
Myriad of Blade helis - Fusion 270/360/480

Last edited by basmo; 03-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: more info
basmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmo View Post
The B450X was set up perfect right from the box.
Programmed the recommended settings in my DX6i, checked that swash / tail movements were correct - they were, and had it flying. I never had a flybarless heli this size, and what an experience - a pure pleasure to fly!
Inverted hovers, although not 'hands off' (but close), were very stable. Did not have to make any changes to the AR7200BX parameters yet, but it does give you room to fine tune if you wish. The 440 motor has power to spare. For me, where I really noticed the flight stability was in inverted hover. Felt like I could almost place the transmitter on the ground for a few seconds, pick it up, and continue (no, don't try this!!).
Same feeling I had..

I took the 450x up about 40 feet in the big open field behind my house and literally let go of the sticks for a good 6-10 seconds and it barley went anywhere.. its EXTREMELY stable.

AR90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I moved on from my 450 3D to a T-Rex 550 V2 FBL. I have been battling for weeks just trying to get it off of the ground. I made some mistakes I admit, but it has been a very difficult experience (and expensive one).

Tonight I decided to pick up a 450X since I was so familiar with the 450 3D. My hopes are that I will be able to learn from the 450X and get a good feel for how everything should work on a FBL heli since it is all pretty much setup out of the box.
So far I programmed in the recommend settings on my controller and went through the pre-flight setup.
( It is also nice that I have a big stock-pile of parts already on hand as a nice bonus.)
So far it is so much easier than the T-Rex 550. Tomorrow will be the big test when I see if I can get the 450X off of the ground! Stay tuned....

-GN
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fwiw..

I just got the 450x...I did someting I usually wouldn't do..I went to the park, charged the battery, set up a model in my DX7 to the manual settings, bound the Rx...And flew it.

All I can say is..RUN...don't walk, to your LHS and buy one...
Peoplel may say it's not perfect, but it is another home run for E-Flite and Horizon......

John.
bmlasater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine flew perfectly right out of the box. After around 10 flights I put on some EXI FG blades, they flew great too (I have a bunch of these). I like the blade shims that come with the 450x. The blue and white canopy reminds me of a Yamaha.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR90 View Post
Same feeling I had..

I took the 450x up about 40 feet in the big open field behind my house and literally let go of the sticks for a good 6-10 seconds and it barley went anywhere.. its EXTREMELY stable.
I asked a similar question before, and now understand the the Beast X isn't a stabilization system like a CoPilot is. From your descriptions, it sounds nearly as stable though. I'm trying to figure out how close it is to a stabilization system. If you center the right stick, will the heli right itself to horizontal, or does it need a little more correction than that?

I've notice comments about main blades. I recall reading in the past that FBL needed a specific type blade? Will decent CF blades be interchangeable with the stock blade?

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Radix
EDGE
CY's

I'd stick with a quality FBL blade but that's just me.

I love my EDGE blades
DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Tomorrow will be the big test when I see if I can get the 450X off of the ground! Stay tuned....
Here is the update... Flew 4 battery packs with no major issues!!! We had sunny weather, but 10 - 20 MPH winds so I didn't try anything crazy. Pretty stable even in a pretty high wind. I did notice the tail bobbing a bit so may need adjustment there, but I need a calm day to evaluate.
Really impressed with how easy it was to setup and how solid it felt. Also feels much more powerful than the 450 3D.

-GN
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I asked a similar question before, and now understand the the Beast X isn't a stabilization system like a CoPilot is. From your descriptions, it sounds nearly as stable though. I'm trying to figure out how close it is to a stabilization system. If you center the right stick, will the heli right itself to horizontal, or does it need a little more correction than that?

I've notice comments about main blades. I recall reading in the past that FBL needed a specific type blade? Will decent CF blades be interchangeable with the stock blade?

Thanks!!
Hi, it will not stabilize its self, it will start a gradual fall off until it meets the earth. Where as copilot will hold a horizontal position and just drift horizontally.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450 x first few flights

I bought 450 x yesterday . I have flowen 5 batts through it , mainly did figure 8s and loops with it in 12 mph winds, best fllying heli I have flowen, I like it better than my 600. only problem is it gets small to fast ha ha
VISTAVEGA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Heli Pilot perspective

I received my 450x this morning. I had a couple packs charging in anticipation of the arrival.

I am a new heli pilot. I have flown planes for years, but decided to try helis a couple months ago.
In the dead of winter I got the MCX2 for something to do inside. After a couple weeks and about 150 flights I ordered a 120SR. That was a step up, I flew that for about 100 flights and decided I really needed to learn collective. I sold the MCX2 and bought an MCPx. I've been flying that for a couple weeks and have about 200 flights on it. No 3d but FFF, circuits etc.

When I saw the 300x I thought I would get that one next, but after thinking about it I decided I would just go straight to the 450 size. So I ordered the 450x last week from Ampdraw. I bought a couple Turnigy packs and a couple Sky Lipo packs for power.

I set up my DX6i using some setting from the manual, but modified D/R, Expo, throttle curve to tame the beast down for the initial flights. After checking everything out, I went to the runup test. I was a little intimidated by the power compared to the tiny MCPx. A bit scary if all you have flown CP is the MCPx. Anyway, after a couple runup I decide to go for it...

I'm pleased to report that it flew great. Wind was about 5-10 mph. It went right into a nice hover and was nice and steady. The D/R settings seemed about right (for me) and it was easy to handle. The tail @ 75% was still super sensitive. I dialed in a little more D/R on the next flights. Otherwise, it was super fun. All total I got in four good flights with a conservative flight time(s) of about 5:30 ... just hovering. At the end of the 4th flight I was wanting to push it into some FFF, but as the sun was setting, I decided to wait for another day. I very pleased with the maiden.

These ware the settings I used for initials flights, in case there are some other novices out there. I would expect to incrementally up these after every few flights. I really couldn't tell the difference between the eflight pack, the Turnigy or Sky Lipo pack.

My only "complaint" would be that the canopy fit really tight and was hard to get on the grommets. I reinforced the inside of the canopy at the seam and around the grommet holes with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. I also elongated the grommet slot and moved them back to make attachment easier.

This Heli should keep me challenged for a long time.

Throttle Curve (per manual)
NORM 0% 30% 60% 60% 60%

My Pitch Curve - normal
42 - 46 - 50 - 75 - 85

D/R - Expo
AILE 0 50% 25%
ELEV 0 50% 25%
RUDD 0 65% INH
AILE 1 75% 15%
ELEV 1 75% 15%
RUDD 1 100% INH

I also set the travel throws back from the recommended 100%
AILE 60%
ELEV 60%
RUDD 100%
PITCH 85%

Last edited by TDMModels; 03-09-2012 at 07:13 PM..
TDMModels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=TDMModels;3734572]
My Throttle Curve - normal
42 - 46 - 50 - 75 - 85

Sounds like good settings overall for novice, but I noticed your normal throttle curve above.
Should have a '0' for the low setting. Looks more like your normal pitch curve?

Good luck with this heli - it does fly great.
Myriad of Blade helis - Fusion 270/360/480
basmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

<My only "complaint" would be that the canopy fit really tight and was hard to get on the grommets. I reinforced the inside of the canopy at the seam and around the grommet holes with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. I also elongated the grommet slot and moved them back to make attachment easier.>

+100

That's really starting to annoy me, darn tight canopy...

--Jason
Jasong911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post

The only reason i bought this 450x was because i wanted to try the BeastX technology. All i ever hear is how bad 3G and 3GX is well I am her to tell you my 3G is just as good as the beastx. Its all about the setup. I almost feel Iike a waisted my money but I knew this was a possibility. I am still stoked but I laugh at all the people that say 3G is garbage
Try the 3G/3GX system in your 700 and then try the beastX in there. I purposely built 2 500EFL's to try the differences between the FBL systems. Vbar>BeastX(really, really close, but vbar's governor is the best)>3GX.

There is no comparison on hovering, control feel, along with pirouette stability. The 3GX is a competent system, but beastX is IMHO superior.
T-rex 600EFL V-bar T-rex 700E V-Bar
magbarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in