Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Kobe Kiko Hughes 300

Hey guys,

Anyone remember the old Kobe Kiko Hughes 300? Not the gasser, but the one which ran on the Enya .30 heli motor...I had a yellow one with the old Heliball muffler (remember that old thing?)

Anyway, the KKK Hughes is the heli I really learned to hover with. I actually owned a Mantis before that, but could never get that pile to fly. The Mantis, as I recall, was actually partly made of cardboard!

In any case, anyone else cut their teeth on an old Kobe?

HeloJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do remember the Kobe Kiko heli's though I never flew one. I remember the Mantis too but I thought it flew pretty well, at least the one American RC made in the 80's. It had a lot of molded plastic parts and possibly wooden servo trays. I also vaguely recall a heli called the Lark from England. It was a fixed pitch unit with a wire drive tail rotor and a wrap around heatsink that clamped on your engines head. Every name brings back memories. I had an Ishimasa Playboy that was .25 size with collective pitch. I never got it flying as someone else wanted it more than me and I ended up with the GMP Cobra.
Now to find some pics of these oldies, that will be the hard part.

Frank
biffj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I worked for Orange Coast Hobbies in the early 1980's-they were the importer for Kobe Kiko at the time.

The Hughes 300 was very easy to fly and flew well, but was somewhat fragile. Ray Hotstetler used to come into the shop and worked with the shop owner to get the machine set up so that it would not shake.

I recall these as being .50 sized.

I don't have real fond memories of it, other than that, as mentioned earlier, it flew well.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes, you are correct, it did run on a .50 size engine (I had confused the .30 with my not-quite-so-old Shuttle.)

Still think I had a Heliball on it, though. Yeah, I bought mine from Orange Coast Hobbies in fact.

It was very easy to fly, quite stable. It did shake a bit. I think my fond memories of it are probably because it was the first heli that I was actually able to hover.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned to hover a helicopter useing a KKK gasser and after i fitted one of the first gyros i learned to fly it.Even though it was underpowered i was able to throw it about the sky(no aerobatics though). It was so exciting in those days (80's) there was always something new on the horizon.I bought another one after i crashed this one(black wire corrosion in the transmitter causing complete power loss).Those were the days,it's not half as pleasurable now.
helibeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember some of the "firsts" in this hobby. When I finally got a Hirobo Shuttle, I was also one of the first in my small group of fliers to have a CSM simulator and heading hold gryo (all the gryos up until then were simple rate gyros.) In any case, People at the field were amazed at my progress, LOL! I kept quiet about the sim...for a little while at least. But I got called out pretty quickly on the heading hold gryo as people kept wondering why my Shuttle didn't weathercock when I was flying it.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even the rate flywheel gyros were a revelation when they first came out,they stopped your heli swinging 180 degrees unexpectedly.The first one i bought was a Kavan with no electronics inside,you had to drill a hole in the servo and solder the gyro pot in parallel with the servo pot.It wasn't terribly sensitive but was welcome nonetheless.
helibeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember the Kavan mechanical gyro. Never flew one myself, but remember them at the LHS. I think my buddy may have had a mechanical gyro on his Schluter, but I can't recall for certain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in