Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sound system for as350

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about installing a sound system into my as350 600. The recommended size speaker is 4". I have seen some videos on as350's from the Model Sound site, so I am assuming that they have been set up with the same speaker. But there just isn't enough room in the belly between the frame work.
Has anyone got any suggestions, and some pics would be great.

Also, I only have a Dx7s with only the aux2 a a spare ch. I have read the manual but just can't see where it explains how to set up the Tx.

Joe
Farmer Joe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Model Sounds Inc RC Sound system wiring it up and how switch soundsets on (29 min 28 sec)

I found this Youtube video, hopes it will help.
HW.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Hw,
Some good info in that video. My prob is that the speaker is 4 or 5 mm to big to position between the frame work in the belly of the fuse. There are smaller speakers but not suitable for 6s batts.
I am hoping that someone has done an as350 and got good results.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Model Sounds Inc Shockwave Sound System install in 500 sized Huey Helicopter (13 min 44 sec)

In this video he uses 2 smaller speakers in a Huey. There are other videos in the series on this sound unit. Don't know if you checked them all out or not.
HW.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Model Sounds with Sound Exciters to vibrate the whole fuselage as a speaker

I run the same unit in a 500 Huey also. I love it
I started out with a 4" speaker in the cockpit but I didn't like the volume level. Then I tried two 2" speakers mounted in the front windows. That sounded better and worked well
500 Scale Huey Slick First Flights (2 min 11 sec)

But the heli flew like a pig kind of. even with 453 mm blades

Then we started working with sound exciters at work, so I looked them up and there is a company that makes sound for RC fixed wing and offers them. They do have a lot of great info on there site and a lot of info on using them in foamies and balsa planes but I could not get the info on impedance or power ratings. So I've ordered two 4 ohm 20 watt exciters made by Dayton Audio like we are using at work.
These are not speakers but you use them like speakers They work by vibrating the material they are mounted on, making the whole fuselage the speaker.
I have not tried them yet, and I'm wondering
If they vibrate the air frame with they mess with the FBL controller (Naza H)??
I get to find out

On the + side
1 ea. 4" speaker weighs 230 grams 8 ohms 20 watts
2 ea. 2" speakers 271 grams together 8 ohms 20 watts
2 ea exciters 186.1 grams/ together 8 ohms @ 40 watts
I finally get to turn the Shockwave up to more that 50%
mbutler6063 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Long Version of how the Sound works on a Huey

So here is how I look at it

With the sound card you get a Win PC program called SFXPC for loading sound files. You use Audacity for audio editing. ( back up your files )
Manuals at http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/manuals_datasheets.php
There are three types of sound lists Regular, Engine 1 and Engine 2
Regular would be voice sound tracks, machine guns etc.
Engine 1 is the files that are tied to the throttle. In my case JetrangerStartupandidelSt1 thru JetrangerStartupandidelSt17
Engine 2 was set up for Turbine spool up and Turbine spool down
Model Sounds recommends with helicopters you use a switch for startup / shut down with these sounds on Engine 2. In the software you can trigger Engine 2 with any aux channel you have
They have a great explanation in the software manual
Aux channel On for .5 seconds plays the startup and the next .5 seconds on plays the shutdown.
Engine 1 is tied to the throttle input
This was with a Jet Ranger and Skookum 720 so I had 6 channels for the heli and the 7th was my aux channel for start up
I changed to Naza H that takes 7 channels and lost my aux in, so I slaved the Engine 2 to the throttle also
Doesn’t work as well as the recommended method of aux on / on for shutdown. but it works
Then I moved it to a Huey Because a Huey MUST MAKE THAT NOISE in the air.
The Huey sound file from Model Sounds is very good, except when you get to the BellHueyUH1 StartupAndIdle 17 it sounded to me like a Huey on Crack. Way too fast
So here is the really good part about the Model Sounds system. If you don’t like it you can edit it.
First I got the Huey flying with and got the throttle curve set.
I ran a youtube video of a real Huey spool up and taking off and ran the SFXPC software beside it
At the point in the video when the real Huey got lite on the skids when thru all of the BellHueyUH1 StartupAndIdle files playing them one by one until I found the match between the two audios
I knew what throttle setting that made my Huey got lite on the skids so I edited the SFXPC file so the BellHueyUH1 StartupAndIdle file played at that point.
Then I did the youtube SFXPC software side by side thing for a real Huey fly by and picked my BellHueyUH1 StartupAndIdle file. That was assigned as the next and last sound in the Engine 1 list
After about 17 tries, I got the file to load and am very happy with the way it works now. 17 because I was learning how to do it.
It’s easy to change sounds from one aircraft to another, editing existing sounds is much harder and takes patience, but it can be done. Just remember to back up original files.
And that’s I love my Huey…..

Update
I have the Exciters in the Huey. Did ground testing this last weekend and Man, that's a lot better, Still have not flown it or shot video but its coming.
mbutler6063 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great explanation mbutler, thanks for spending so much time on it.

Joe
Old 04-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Benedini Sounds Systems

I installed a Benedini TBS Mini system in my AW109-500....I also use their Audio isolator to try and keep out any motor buzz....it has a 40W amp and 2 Visaton BF45 speakers (small enough to aim out the wheel wells, I decided against retracts since this is my first scale)

I guess it all works OK, but when I first connect the 6S battrery, I get a sharp "click" through the sound system.....I don't know if it is causing damage....I'm on flight number 10 with no apparent problems.....

I'll try to upload a video if anyone wants to see and hear it....
Andy Sitton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in