Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Gryphon Quasar 7075 LMT in a couple my helis and up to yesterday I'd have recommended without reservation. They are neat and compact have infinitely adjustable voltage output and the optional 'pin flag'/low-voltage unit is great.
However my confidence in the Quasar was shaken yesterday as i went to power my heli up for the second time of the day and the BEC simply didnt power up. It was completely dead. I've checked it out on the bench and it's as dead as a dodo. If it had happened in flight it would have been a nightmare
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ah Clem for the info! I knew I'd find someone with the answer to my question eventually.
Most of the guys down at my field run a 2S LiPo receiver pack and the Opti-Power Ultra Guard. I don't want to be dealing with maintaining another set of LiPo's and having to worry about not being able to fly because my receiver pack is discharged. Plus, the idea of not running regulated voltage to my electronics goes against my better judgement.
OpTi-Power does make a BEC Guard to prevent back "EMF" and voltage spikes, but it's not compatible as they implement a servo connector - doesn't make sense for my implementation.
What is your take on running a receiver pack and the Ultra Guard vs a the WR BEC like the one I am considering and using the Battery Buffer?
MIKADO VControl Touch | iCharger 406 Duo | Meanwell RSP-1500W-24V
CaptHal8HS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

"What is your take on running a receiver pack and the Ultra Guard vs a the WR BEC like the one I am considering and using the Battery Buffer?"

I only run WR BEC's on my large helicopters (I did this long before I flew for WR). In the case of the WR's, I think a backup device is unnecessary with WR BEC's (i.e. I am not using the Battery Buffer-I brought it up as your post indicated your desire for redundancy).

I would never run a 2S pack, as I have seen several fail at helicopter meets, and I have too many helicopters to keep and maintain a 2S pack on each one.

If I did run a 2S, I would use some sort of backup device (I used to run 2S, 2P in my nitro machines).

On my last three 700 applications, I installed the WR Hercules Super Pro (with bus-which prevents the back EMF issues that you referred to above). In your case the WR BEC that you already have is a good fit with the FBL unit that you have (which has a strong, internal Bus and a stout cable/connector to power it).

I have never heard of back EMF issues affecting a BeastX product, by the way. It might happen, but I have never seen any references to it as you see with other FBL units.

I have WR BEC's installed on all of my larger helicopters (and some of my smaller ones) and have never had an issue. I never have to worry about maintaining a separate pack to power the electronics or losing one cell and losing a machine as a result.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have only ever seen one 2s pack fail, the soldering job was atrocious. Everyone in our flight group uses 2s packs or 3s packs with regulators. Prob 20,000 flights and zero failures except that one with the 2s pack. But, we have seen quite a number of esc failures. All were able to auto their helis down safely. And that, is the point, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in