Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What pitch range are you using?

I set up my swash as per the user manual and get +/- 12.5 - Quite close to the 13 that is mentioned.

However, I've tamed that down to +/- 10 in the SK-720 software, and am thinking of using +10 to -3 and +10 to -5 in flight, simply because that's how I've set up all my other helis...

I'm curious though to know what most people here are using, and whether my planned pitch range will still have a good TDR feel to it...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Depends on the head speed.

About 1400-1600 go for +/- 14º
1700-1900 go for +/- 12.5/13
Speed - as much + as you can get.
Edvard R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
I set up my swash as per the user manual and get +/- 12.5 - Quite close to the 13 that is mentioned.

However, I've tamed that down to +/- 10 in the SK-720 software, and am thinking of using +10 to -3 and +10 to -5 in flight, simply because that's how I've set up all my other helis...

I'm curious though to know what most people here are using, and whether my planned pitch range will still have a good TDR feel to it...

I take it that you don't do much inverted flight if you are used to only running -3 or -5 degrees negative pitch. I would find that dangerous as I couldn't get enough reversed thrust with any positive momentum.

I'm running +/- 13 degrees and it really is much easier to fly than anything else I own.
I'm running +/- 12 degrees in both my Protos 500 and TREX 550E for reference.

However based on your extremely conservative settings on your other helis, I really don't know what to recommend to you. I have no idea what your skill level is.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't like 3D, so the most my helis do are large loops, flips and rolls...

With the -5 degrees I set, I can keep my 450 and 550 inverted and climbing, so I don't require much more in their case.

Last edited by Groucho_; 03-18-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+/- 12 deg here
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Insane almost 14.5 in all flight modes, just slightly bellow mechanical maximum.
I do not use it usually, but i have it there.
I am used to high pitch and have no problems to control it precisely.
- TDR #2, Scorpion 4525LE, PowerJive, MKS HBL950/980, Vbar
- TDR #1 (stock, sold at 700+ flights), e-Revo, Protos 500, Jeti DS14
jointer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointer View Post
Insane almost 14.5 in all flight modes, just slightly bellow mechanical maximum.
I do not use it usually, but i have it there.
I am used to high pitch and have no problems to control it precisely.
+1
jakeg1999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

13.5/-13.5, hs 1650-1750.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't like 3D, so the most my helis do are large loops, flips and rolls...

With the -5 degrees I set, I can keep my 450 and 550 inverted and climbing, so I don't require much more in their case.
Let me put first, that I don't want to encourage you to anything, you don't feel comfortable with!
Having said this here my personal opinion about drastically different pos and neg settings for your stick.
First of all you use 50% of the stick movement for about 12% of positive pitch and then you use the other 50% for 3 to 5 degrees negative pitch.
That's pretty odd for your brain, because the same amount of movement of your fingers creates different results.
I know, you are used to it, but that does not mean it is positive for your further development as a heli pilot.
Sooner or later you feel comfortable to do the same flying "normal" or inverted. It is just a matter of time and training.
And then comes the point where you have to change your settings in order to get more negative pitch. This will result in an uncomfortable feeling and you might change back to the "odd", uneven setting you had before.
And this is what I mean, it will hinder your development or prolong the process.

Therefor my advice is to use the same pos or neg pitch setting in order to get comfortable with it and then gradually increase you inverted flying time rather than gradually increasing your negative pitch.
It might not feel right at the beginning (because you are used to the low negative pitch setting) but it will help in the long run.
Just my 2 cents on this. . .
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Plus 1

I don't know how long you have been flying but I can speak for myself. When I first started I was happy to be able to just fly around and bring her home safely. Then eventually I got bored with that. You will eventually want to use all the capabilities of the helicopter and you will have to reteach yourself. You may as well get used to a balanced pitch range now. Just be careful the first time you land or you will drive her straight into the ground
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and suggestions everyone - much appreciated

I think I've been convinced to at least try going for +/- 10...

I'll change my range in the sim too for what it's worth and see if it feels any different.

Regarding my skill level, it's not very advanced. I hardly ever get to fly, but I do try to get at least one long flight a day in on the sim. I've only managed to actually go out and fly twice in the past six months, and even then, it's a race against the setting sun to try and use up all my batteries on at least two helis...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am at +- 13.5.

Mind you that if you fly an Idle 1 at low head speed, say between 1400 and 1500, you WILL need more pitch than -5. Every maneuver at those head speeds demands much more collective input.

My take is to standardize every Condition, and if possible every heli. I encourage everyone that asks to go to a linear pitch curve on everything, even Normal and Hold. Start with +-12 and every condition uses the same curve (or line). That way every change in Condition (Idle 1 / 2 / 3) you don't have a pitch change. I usually use Conditions to change Governed head speed only, though with the TDR I use the Vbar's 4 banks to adjust gains, agility, pre compensation, pitch pump, paddle sim, etc to every flight mode. It's the first heli I've done this since the rpm envelope is so big!!! I am LOVING IT. You could use a shallower curve for Normal, say +-10, but I highly recommend you don't have collective jumps all over the place, the heli will behave more consistently this way. We are not doing F3C after all!

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in