Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Synergy Model Helicopters

Synergy Model Helicopters Synergy Model Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Canopy Screw Design

I haven't really been a big fan of the canopy attachment method since I got my N9 (not long ago at all), so I decided to do something about it.

The problem I have with the stock setup is that the canopy screws put far too much pressure on the grommets when they are tightened down sufficiently to keep them from vibrating loose. This pressure causes undue stress to be placed on the grommets, which really shouldn't be getting much abuse at all. In turn, this stress causes the grommets to prematurely fail.

The reason this pressure is required is because the small pieces of metal that protrude out of the thumb screws is too short. This metal piece is intended to contact the canopy post on the frame so that the screw can tighten against metal instead of the rubber grommet. That piece is just too short for the job... the grommet is far wider than it is, which means that the grommet must be compressed a good bit before the thumb screws actually contacts the canopy post/stand-off.

My solution to this was to build a new screw setup with a larger spacer. The parts used are as follows:
- 3x12mm socket head bolt
- 3x5x5mm spacer (Synergy part 109-355)
- 3x9x1mm flat washer (Hirobo part 2506-010)

This one is easy, I just put a little medium CA on the first 5mm of the base of the bolt then slid on the flat washer followed by the spacer. Gluing these together makes for one complete piece so there is less chance of losing a spacer at the field. See the pics below for a visual

This setup eliminates almost all of the pressure on the grommet, but leaves enough compression (around .5mm worth) so that the canopy/grommet isn't just shaking around on the bolt. And as an added bonus, I think it looks cleaner than the big gold plated thumb screws. *shrug* I'll post a follow up once I have put the same number of flights on this setup that did the old grommets in.

-syn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1061.jpg (77.6 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg img_1063.jpg (86.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg img_1075.jpg (85.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg img_1070.jpg (69.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg img_1083.jpg (72.3 KB, 227 views)
- Trex SE 450
- JR x9303
syn- is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

For reference, here are some pics of what the original thumb screws look like in the same positions as well as a picture of what happens to the grommet.

-syn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1106.jpg (90.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg img_1104_164.jpg (57.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg img_1102.jpg (62.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg img_1089.jpg (126.3 KB, 117 views)
- Trex SE 450
- JR x9303
Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You need to CA each grommet to the canopy and use a little grease under the thumbscrew. My grommets have lasted for 6months to more than one year following these steps.

Regards,

Charles
Chuckie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I tried the grease thing on the inside of the grommets, but not on the thumbscrew side... I guess I should have. Hopefully I'll have the bird up in the air this weekend and can see how the new screws work out.

I'll post crash pics if the canopy flys off while I'm inverted!

-syn
- Trex SE 450
- JR x9303
Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

also another easy option would be to add a locknut on the inside of the canopy..

thats what i used on my Xcell machines, worked a treat.. i love the look of those thumbscrews.
MAIONX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

My screws for my Extreme are similiar to that. I started off with CF rod cut to length and a big 3mm washer. Then changed to a metal piece on each that looks like what I started off with once I found what I really needed. So far so good and they look clean and dont kill my grommets.
ChrisLaFollette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The synergy canopy has a very tight on the bottom support. I already have to stretch out the bottom of the canopy a little when putting it in place. Well I move one into place first then the other. For the rear standoffs adding a locknut would work. Just tighten the thumb screws with a hex driver! Thumb screw is the wrong name. I agree they look good. A lot of attention to detail has gone into many small parts on the N9.

Charles
Chuckie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in