Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > mQX

mQX Blade mQX Quad Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Breakage?

So, whats the most likely to break durring a crash? Of coarse, there are the blades, but what else?
As this quad really has no moving parts other than the spinning blades, I expect it to be much more durable than our regular helicopters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I already have several cracks and holes in my canopy. I like the looks but couldn't they have gotten a little cheaper with the material they used on it?
skipper1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I think they were trying to make it as light as possible.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, the canopy is not good, but everything else is

A little clear tape goes a long way to strengthen the stock canopy. Mine is getting pretty beat up already, but I don't really care what it looks like (it was ugly when new) I just want it there to protect the board in a crash...

I have an old Jaguar 1/24 slotcar body from the 1960s that looks like it will fit with minor mod. I'm thinking about putting that on there, but it needs to be repainted, which would be a chore
ct420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive crashed this thing into my workbench this evening. The kind of crash that wouldve broken swashplates, linkages, tailbooms, whatever. Close inspection, nothing broken and up and away we went again. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Mind you, the MIA canopy is much more durable than the stock one.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
So, whats the most likely to break durring a crash? Of coarse, there are the blades, but what else?
As this quad really has no moving parts other than the spinning blades, I expect it to be much more durable than our regular helicopters.

i have some fractures in the carbon arms. it makes its easy to twist the pod. hard stops tend to wobble more from the twisting til it stabilizes. but im still very happy with how it is holding up ive only cracked one prop. i have not been easy with this thing... got way to carried away with how agile it is.

by far the most durable aircraft ive own EVER!
seeyalaterbye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

busted 2 of the 4 carbon thruster booms, think a 3rd might be showing stress fractures but hasn't come apart yet. one is still sturdy enough to fly but the other is going to need some mcguyver action....ordering replacements tomorrow if LHS doesn't have any. Stock canopy is tore up, hell I think I actually lost it...left it on porch maybe and the wind blew it away lol. Mostly been using slurpee lids from quick trip as canopy. Oh and I think the battery wire is loose, or its the connector on one battery, haven't tested it yet to be sure though....just know I'm loosing main power occasionally and have to jiggle it to get it working again. The hyperion batteries don't seem to sit in there as tight and during crashes the battery pops out and tugs the wire. I've also bent 2 of the props 90 degrees, but didn't crack or break. I just bent it back into place. Lastly I popped a motor loose a time or 2 and had to push it back in so the gears meshed right.

This is my first real rc flying machine....so given my complete lack of piloting skills and the 1 crash per 10-30 seconds of flight time average, I'm impressed how its held up. I would have shattered any heli a hundred times over probably.

The good news is I do seem to be improving and even managed to roll it on purpose, recover and hover...other trick attempts didn't end well enough for me to say I pulled them off or were mostly accidental
dmarksvr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wrap a little electrical tape around the hyp 550's that will snug them up. Just keep practicing and soon you wont be breaking much

This little guy can take a beating! Just watch this lol...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcrWlJaXI&feature=g-upl&context=G2d1c605AUAAAAAAAEAA[/ame]
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i tinkered with it after my post last night and jammed what was left of the boom back in the hole after about an inch of it broke off, and even with one shorter then the other 3 the thing still flies good. Makes me curious about shortening all 4, and maybe using some 3 or 4 blade props (maybe smaller ones) if suitable ones could be found and seeing what happens.

Didn't make it to the LHS since it was closed by the time i rolled out of bed but I'll go tomorrow probably. Even though it flies with the shorter boom I plan to fix it and the other broken one.

The main problem I'm having now is power cutting out. I tried another battery and the problem appears to be the connector on the board, not on the bat, or something else on the board (hope not!!) so looks like I may have to attach another connector to those wires or even re-attach the entire connector wires and all to the board if that doesnt work. There is the slim hope that maybe my transmitter batteries are just low and causing the issue, i did accidently leave it on over night awhile back.

btw, I came up with the electrical tape on the battery fix to make it fit better on my own, but thanks...great minds think alike
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have bounced mine off the roof, drove it into the ground, smacked both cars..... Worse I have had was a split boom, easily fixed with some CA. If your quick on the throttle hold, guess the canopy is the worst of your fears. Very durable in my opinion.
Kyosho Nexus 30 - "Damn I can't believe I learned on something like this........
J-son600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I AM THE GOD OF SOLDERING!!!!

Ok sorry bout that, I'm just really proud of myself at the moment. I've never really soldered anything and I just managed to re-solder my battery connector back onto the 4 in 1 board. the contacts are tiny, and first try there was smoke when I hooked up the battery, guess the contacts were touching, so I pulled the board and flipped it over where there were lil bumps of solder and they were large enough and spaced apart a lil more making it easier to solder the connections back together ( still hard for this noob).

So my power connector is no longer attached to the top of the board, now its on the underside....but it works! Also just for extra security I melted a plastic drinking straw over my solder points to cement everything in place and help hold it to the board. Its gotta be one of the ugliest solder jobs ever...but it works!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today, I crashed mine into a shed and bush from probably 50 feet in the air. Canopy took a bit of a beating, but other than that, a prop came off. That was easy to put back on, once I found the gear.

Oh that wasn't the only crash of the day. Just most impacting one. Others into the grass, and even from the same height, tweaked the caompy a little and that was it. Brand newbie here.

Looking for more durable canopies.

Kudos to the Blade mQX.
BrettOssman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Canopy and props is all and I have sent mine cartwheeling impressively. Love this thing.
ErikIL77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, my "canopy" is more scotch tape than canopy... :
mitsaras is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you guys seen these canopies yet. they sell for $10 and you can paint them or if you would rather just fly the way they are then you can do that, but if you want to put a little work in on them, they can look really good.
here's the link. there's just not a lot out there yet as far as after market canopies.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=583
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool
Looking for options on mQX canopies
BrettOssman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, this morning was our local soccer field meet. Finally had some time with dear ol' Dad and flew some models. I was getting pretty good with the quad having that nice wide open soccer field space as a posed to the enclosed space between the trees in our front yard.
Anyway, I was getting excited as I was doing some fast forward flight, circles, figure eights, some banks, and just really enjoying it. But somehow, that silly ground below wanted to play as well and came up to close to the quad and snapped it from the sky. I broke a thruster-boom and the plastic motor housing popped out. I discovered I had actually cracked the boom right down the middle. So, out of commission for a while till I fix the darned thing.
But what great fun though! With a wide open soccer field, you can really let loose with the quad and it is soooooooo much easier than flying the helicopters. One of our local club members was asking me about it, and as I told several other people, flying the quad is like between an airplane, and a helicopter. It's awesome. but now I have to fix it.
At least the ever so cool TDR-style canopy remained in once piece. Plus, the other thing I like about the TDR, is it's very orientation friendly!
The original stock canopy would've ben scotched-taped by now! LOL!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wil say this for the mqx, durability factor on this thing is far better than ant rc i have owned. out of the dozens of mishaps i have had, i had a slight crack in one blade, which is still perfectly useable as a spare. a few blades bent which were easily straightened out, one of the motor mount landing skids has 2 cracks in it which doesnt effect anything, and of course the body has cracked also. again, durability on a 1 to 10 scale is right around 29 lol. this thing is truely durable! i couldnt ask for a more forgiving rc. that fact alone makes me reccomend it to anyone looking for a truely badass "heli"
diabolic-mind is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Managed to fix my MQX today. Just a piece of clear tape, and a few dabs of CA along the crack and it flies perfectly. Then discovered I had a spare boom in my spare-parts box, so decided to keep the spare for next time.
So, I was able to hover it around in our friends large basement.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

i extended the length of my booms out 3/4" each, and then superglued them in place. this may seem like a bad idea as if something needs to be replaced then it would be extremely difficult to fly. but i found that parts are really cheap, sofar i have enough spare parts for mine to build an entire mqx minus motors and the main board. but having everything superglued sofar seems to increase its durability i think, the fact that stuff doesnt give during an impact means that when it would flex and over time slightly alter the shape, it now holds true to its original shape. also the mqx is light enough that it really wont have a massive impact unless you fly it full speed into a wall or something. i havent had any accidents like that. the majority of the accidents i have are simply from pitching it to steep at low altitude and having it scrape on the ground.
diabolic-mind is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in