Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default how difficult to replace the BeastX by a Skookum ?

I would feel more comfortable using the Skookum 720 with its self leveling capability than the Beast which doesn't have it. How hard would it be to swap them?
I would like to know that before considering buying one.
Thanks for any answer.
fricotin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to think that it wouldn't be that hard. But then again, I'd also like to think HH would release the 300X before I turn 40!
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricotin View Post
I would feel more comfortable using the Skookum 720 with its self leveling capability than the Beast which doesn't have it. How hard would it be to swap them?
I would like to know that before considering buying one.
Thanks for any answer.
IMHO, if you are worried about self-leveling, I really don't think this is the heli for you. It is small and relatively "jumpy" I think. Not really a beginners heli. You'd also have to add a receiver too by the way (I'm sure you knew that, but I mention it just in case!)

Why not try a mCPX, and get use to leveling the heli yourself!
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatRocket View Post
I would like to think that it wouldn't be that hard. But then again, I'd also like to think HH would release the 300X before I turn 40!
It's probably worth making a decision based on the technology available at the time of release
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
It's probably worth making a decision based on the technology available at the time of release
Well, I turn 40 in the middle of July. Given HH's track record of letting the release date slip on this thing so far, I might just be 40 before it's actually released!
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

You guys are worse than a teenage boy waiting to get laid for the first time.
Just be patient. You'll have your 300X before you know it.
glarepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt answers but I was under the impression that the Skookum worked as a receiver and I would only have to add a satellite to it since I use A Spektrum radio ...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, funny comments here.

The SK720 does not include a receiver, it's solely a FBL controller.

So, you'll need a standard receiver in addition to your SK720. The receiver satellite is optional for this sized heli but is recommended for anything above a 450. A sat would be a bit overkill on a 300 X due to its small airframe, and the fact that there is not much carbon fiber on it which can cause electromagnetic interference.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Self levelling? Why don't you just pay someone else to fly it for you, that would be just as fun.
Langdon04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should read up on the sk720 , if you want to use the self leveling that heli better be 100% vibe free. Which in my experience was as fun as dragging nails on the caulk board.

I once thought I needed self level, but after a few crashes that the 720 caused the small shred of confidence I got from flying with self level was gone.

I got rid of It , and now I just have a beastx,the heli was so smooth and stable I thought ,,really ?? I never needed self level
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
Haha, funny comments here.

The SK720 does not include a receiver, it's solely a FBL controller.

So, you'll need a standard receiver in addition to your SK720. The receiver satellite is optional for this sized heli but is recommended for anything above a 450. A sat would be a bit overkill on a 300 X due to its small airframe, and the fact that there is not much carbon fiber on it which can cause electromagnetic interference.
You might want to read up at this link, most FBL controllers are in fact a rx also. If you fly Spektrum, all you do is add a sat or two, if you fly Futaba, add a S-Bus rx and go.
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemil View Post
You might want to read up at this link, most FBL controllers are in fact a rx also. If you fly Spektrum, all you do is add a sat or two, if you fly Futaba, add a S-Bus rx and go.
I have to say, that Skookum link is completely confusing, and a bit misleading.

It does NOT include a receiver!!! You cannot use it without hooking up some type a receiver to it. A satellite or s-bus receiver is a receiver --period. It is what receives (appropriately enough) the transmissions from your transmitter.

This is unlike the AR7200BX, which doesn't need any other device to receive signals.

In cases of large helis (or planes) that can fly at far distances, both the Skookum, and the AR7200BX recommend adding an additional satellite receiver (=2 for the Skookum) to help eliminate signal shadowing.

So lets summarize, receivers are necessary with a Skookum 3D board. You can call the receivers, satellites, or whatever you want, but you need to add an extra chunk of electronics (and cash) if you want to fly with it!

There is nothing wrong with that, but that is the way it is!
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes it is a bit confusing, they call their receiver "the receiver core"
From The Skookum site:

"The SK-720 can greatly simplify your heli’s setup, by eliminating the flybar mechanics, tail gyro, and with the use of satellite receivers (not included), the receiver core and associated wiring as well."

My question is: Could I just remove the BeastX and connect a Skookum in its place with a satellite added of course?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your going to put a sk720 or helicommand hc3sx on a blade heli put it on the 450x not the 300x. The smaller the bird the less stable it is and it will be just as expensive in a crash and you'll need faster reactions and better eyesight to fly the 300x. Better to learn on the sim and mcpx. Leave the 450x on the shelf till you can fly.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahahn View Post
I have to say, that Skookum link is completely confusing, and a bit misleading.

It does NOT include a receiver!!! You cannot use it without hooking up some type a receiver to it. A satellite or s-bus receiver is a receiver --period. It is what receives (appropriately enough) the transmissions from your transmitter.

This is unlike the AR7200BX, which doesn't need any other device to receive signals.

In cases of large helis (or planes) that can fly at far distances, both the Skookum, and the AR7200BX recommend adding an additional satellite receiver (=2 for the Skookum) to help eliminate signal shadowing.

So lets summarize, receivers are necessary with a Skookum 3D board. You can call the receivers, satellites, or whatever you want, but you need to add an extra chunk of electronics (and cash) if you want to fly with it!

There is nothing wrong with that, but that is the way it is!

You're description is right.

My previous post is slightly off and may add to the confusion, so please disregard.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricotin View Post
My question is: Could I just remove the BeastX and connect a Skookum in its place with a satellite added of course?
You can remove the AR7200BX and replace it with a SK720+some kind of receiving hardware.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes you can replace the AR7200BX with an SK720. You will need to supply one satellite receiver but you can do this without any issues. If you don't need self leveling then the SK540 is a better fit for the heli IMO. It will also need a single satellite.

Hope this helps....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in