Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis

Thunder Tiger Electric Helis Mini Titan E325, Raptor E550 and E620 SE Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
The way I determined witch pinion to use to get the HS I was after was by temps. I tried different ones and set up my HS with a optical tack and governer settings. Get the number I was looking for. Then put it up in IU 1 for a full 5 min. flight. Then check motor and ESC temps as soon as I landed. I found that running a flat 90% TC so that there was some head room for the governor. And letting the motor run at close to 100% output under load. It would always come down cooler than if I tried dialing it back.
LOL - for with his ESC. Even on 2KW motor, on 475mm blades, at around 50-60% throttle (governed) those ESCs barely increase temperature.

Anyway - definitively get 12T and 13T and try them both. I found out that 2800-3000RPM is more than adequate for what I'm doing and 12T does it perfectly. With 13T I had slightly shorter fly times (same time more mAh) so since I don't need to push hs over 3000RPM anyway I decided to stay at 12T. It works like a charm...

Here is where you can check it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8IS6YzL60&list=UUpK0mMatjnuBjrj8t_Z4wcg& index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

It is Scorpion 2221-8 V2 with 12T and Align's 35A on it...

When I get home I'll run it through Audacity to check the HS or if you do it sooner let me know! It is roughly run around 85-95% (would need transmitter to check - who's going to remember all the throttle curves of all helicopters! LOL )
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've got 11T, 12t, 13t, 14t pinions on the way. After reading here, I think I'll start low and work my way up so I'll have a good feel of the MT at all flyable head speeds and then decide what HS i want to run. Also waiting for new capacitors for my YGE 60A.. One of the caps got dinged up in a crash so I need to solder a new one on there.

I'm out of the crashing stage of learning but I'm almost ready to start working on inverted hovering so I betcha I'm about to be in the crashing stage again. For this reason, I'm gonna keep it cheap on the FBL head. The Tarot 450 head is only $30 bucks, so if I wreck it, I can just pop another new head on there if I have to. Maybe by the time, I get inverted figured out they will have the MT fbl conversion kits on the market.

I really don't want to drill out my beautiful metal swash to fit Trex450 balls, so I'll try MT ball links on the bottom of the swash to blade grip linkages.

I'll have my MT tommorrow!! can't wait.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbefield View Post
very good.. thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction..
See, I told you there were great folks here!

It's almost Thursday!
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, It got dropped off by Phreak Out on Thursday.(Thanks Bud!).
Last nite did the usual take it apart and put it back together thing to check everything out.

Wish servos were drop in and didn't have to mod to get correct geometry and fit. no biggie though. Just hope I don't have to cut into my CF frames to get the correct geometry. Looks like it is going to be a pretty tight fit there.

Also, my 2221-6 motor is rubbing the anti-rotation guide. Might have to shave the guide down a micron or two. I'm going with the -8, just doing a test fit with the -6 for now while i wait for the -8 to be delivered.

Overall, seems a very nicely made heli. Today, I'll be searching the threads here to see what everyone else did for the above two issues.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally got to spend some time working on my MT.
Servos are mounted, motor is installed,
Got most of the FBL conversion of the stock head done, still need to work secure my washout base so it doesn't move up or down.
I'm using balls and ball links from my blade 450 on the servo horns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mt fbl 1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	298525   Click image for larger version

Name:	mt fbl 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	298526  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you're interested in selling the FB head set, let me know.
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got most of the FBL conversion of the stock head done, still need to work secure my washout base so it doesn't move up or down.
As I said earlier I've seen two options:

1. add extra collar just below washout base. It will push washout base and secure it so it doesn't fall down
2. drill small hole through washout base (and optionally grind a flat spot on main shaft) and tap a screw in (since it is aluminium it is quite easy to do it with the screw itself). That was the reason I used plastic washout base as it is far easier to secure the screw through it and it, anyway, doesn't suffer any strong forces..

3. (I know - I said only two): bend two pins at their ends while washout base is already over them. But... DONT DO IT ON MT HEAD becase those pins are made of such material that would rather snap than bend (unlike TRex heads I followed instruction for - there pins bend easily and secure washout base so easily).
Don't tell us that I didn't warn you!

Also, if you find lower mixing arms too short (they way you cut them), use two plastic ones turned wrong way round (plus thinned ends so they can go through links). Luckily I had plastic head + plastic spares when I was doing it...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

Better link with pics to highlight what Clicky says.
http://www.raptortechnique.com/mini-titan/index.html
B335 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow - that's a nice summary how to do MT FBL head of original one!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post

Also, if you find lower mixing arms too short (they way you cut them), use two plastic ones turned wrong way round (plus thinned ends so they can go through links). Luckily I had plastic head + plastic spares when I was doing it...
Are the lower mixing arms the ones connected to the washout base?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also, my motor is rubbing very slightly on the anti-rotation guide. Is it ok to shave it down?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should be able to fix it by moving swash up or down (using links from servos to swash + links from wash to the head).

I have similar issue if insist on too big collective/cyclics travel. Actually more of the problem was at top most position of swash and full back elevator - where antirotation pin threatened to fall out of antirotation guide.

What collective/cyclics pitch are you using/set it up to?

On my MT with µBeast I have around +/-10-11º on collective and ~8º on cyclics which is more than enough for the way I fly...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
You should be able to fix it by moving swash up or down (using links from servos to swash + links from wash to the head).

I have similar issue if insist on too big collective/cyclics travel. Actually more of the problem was at top most position of swash and full back elevator - where antirotation pin threatened to fall out of antirotation guide.

What collective/cyclics pitch are you using/set it up to?

On my MT with µBeast I have around +/-10-11º on collective and ~8º on cyclics which is more than enough for the way I fly...
I had planned on going +/- 12 on collective..6-7 degrees cyclic. Not sure if I'll be able to get that with the converted stock head. Already looks like I am going to have to lower the swash so that it has even travel up and down, but even then still looks like I might bind at full pos/neg pitch with full cyclic. Once I get the washout base locked, I'll hook up my ZYX and see what can get.

Is it normal for 2221-8 motor to rub on the anti rotation guide?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I had planned on going +/- 12 on collective..6-7 degrees cyclic. Not sure if I'll be able to get that with the converted stock head. Already looks like I am going to have to lower the swash so that it has even travel up and down, but even then still looks like I might bind at full pos/neg pitch with full cyclic. Once I get the washout base locked, I'll hook up my ZYX and see what can get.

Is it normal for 2221-8 motor to rub on the anti rotation guide?
Even travel doesn't rely on position of swash.

+/- 12 deg + 6-7 is something you should achieve with no problems.

If swash pin is rubbing motor - move it higher! Lengthen servo to swash links and shorten links in the head.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's not rubbing on the pin. its rubbing on the plastic guide that the pin goes in.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

That's not normal. I have about 4-5mm clearance between the 2221-8 and the anti rotation bracket.

Of course that's determined by what pinion you're using. (I use a 13T). Use something like a 12T and the motor's going to move nearer the ARB. Still shouldn't be enough to make contact.
B335 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is possible that I have the 10T on there as the motor in the pic is actually a 2221-6. When I get home I'll put the -8 with a 12t pinion on there and see if there is more clearance.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by B335 View Post
That's not normal. I have about 4-5mm clearance between the 2221-8 and the anti rotation bracket.

Of course that's determined by what pinion you're using. (I use a 13T). Use something like a 12T and the motor's going to move nearer the ARB. Still shouldn't be enough to make contact.
My 12T came in today.. Put it on the 2221-8 and now I have about 2mm of clearance.
I've got the stuff to lock my washout base. Hopefully I can get to that this weekend.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ordered the Flybarless kit today.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ordered the Flybarless kit today.
You will like it! I flew 4 packs today with this head and it is a big improvement over the stock flybar head converted to fbl.
Jr Vibe 50, Beastx, all Futaba servos OS55hz, Hatori sab 50, Radix
Punkin71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in