Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters

Miniature Aircraft Helicopters Stratus, Spectra G, Furion, Ion-X, Bobby Watts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 9252 Servo drawings

Hello - I am replacing gears in two of my 9252 servos due to my recent crash (it happens!!)
Does anyone have the drawings of the 9252 servo - wanted to make sure I was installing new gears properly,
and the new servo kit comes with some kind of small white clip - does anyone know what that is for.
Thanks,
JH
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Take the 4 screws out of the back and hold the top cover (output shaft side) down and then slide the case off. Take a look at the gears, study them so you know where each goes. They only go one way so you cant do too bad.

You need to use some servo gear grease or a thin grease of some sort. Cant use like wheel bearing grease or anything, im talking like White Moly Lithium or something of that sort. Just put some on the teeth and stick it back together, dont forget to put the O-ring thingey back in its slot and dont tighten the screws up too tight in the back. Just to where it starts to compress the tiny O-Ring. I can rebuild a servo in about 5 minutes so its not that hard.
ChrisLaFollette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply Chris - I see how the gears go back, but there is this white small piece unrelated to the gears - it looks like some kind of plastice clip (do you know what I am referring to?) Is that to be used for anything, doesn't look like it.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

If its what im thinkin of it goes up inside the Main Output gear (big black one), when you put it all together that slit sits on the pentiometer thing. I wish I had a picture to show you what I mean. You will have to turn the black gear a little to get the thing to slide onto the flat pentiometer thing. :wink: Make sure you put the white thing in the black gear the same way it came out.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

best way to get the o-ring seal back on the servo is to put the servo back together and then slip the oring back in to place. Move it to the outer case while you're working on it.
gohbeenice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sceadu50dude, thanks for your reply - I guess that is why I didn't see where the small white piece went - the black gear did not break, so I am still going to use it and have not removed it - therefore, the reason I couldn't see where that small piece went thanks,
Gohbeenice, thanks for the advice on the o-ring seal.
JH
Old 10-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I always slide the seal down the case a little before I take it apart. Its a PITA to put back on and make stay if u dont slide it down the case when your putting the top back on. Good luck fixing them things. And your welcome for the heli.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In your opinion, is it wise to replace gears after a crash or just get a whole new servo - I would assume that the motor takes a wallup after a crash and potentially, the servo would not be as strong as before the crash.
Whats your opinion on that.
Thanks,
JH
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gears are plastic and they break. Fix the part that breaks and fly it. I've smashed servo gears and cases...fix the gears and put a new case on it and it's fine. The weak link is the gears. Once you break them, most likely nothing else will take a beating. Too expensive to just be buying new servos every time you break a gear. If you do end up just buying new servos, give me a ring...I'll buy all your new servos with only broken gears!!
gohbeenice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Servo motors turn freely so when they hit something it just turns the motor really fast. Nothing really tears up. I turn my servos by hand all the time. Just replace the gears and keep flying them.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
the black gear did not break, so I am still going to use it and have not removed it

Replace all the gears when one gear breaks. It has put stress on the other gears.
Gear sets are inexpensive.
You have the servo apart. You might as well put all new gears while you have it apart. If you break gears again, your going to have to buy another set of servo gears. So you will not have any spares.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

DavidH,
Here's two related questions I have.

1. I used synthetic bearing grease when I rebuilt a 9252. What damage am I risking by not using a lithium grease?

2. I didn't replace the metal output gear in my 9251... because it's metal and I used a 9253 gear set. Is this a valid exception to your "replace all gears" statement above. I replaced all the other gears.

-Mark
marked23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am not David Harkey but I can help you. I am not sure if the grease you used will hurt the plastic gears or not but I used White Moly Lithium grease without any problems. It needs to be really thin slippery stuff though.

I wouldnt worry about the metal output gear. It will be fine using the old gear.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Mark,
I only replace the plastic gears on the metal geared servo also. With the metal geared servos, the plastic gears in the train can be purchased separate.
But with a complete plastic gear train I replace all of them.

The synthenic grease should be OK. I don't believe it will attack the material the gears are manufactuered from.
You can get the white grease at Home Depot or Lowe's in small plastic tubes. Also I have seen it at Walmart.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in