Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Is Jive Repairable?

I sent in a Pyro for repair and Jive for update and received my service quote today.

For the jive they've quoted me a price of 79.83 Euro to "change Capacitors, Wiring and Housing"
Do they peel the housing and do work as described or do they just replace the unit at a discounted price?

I have returned the email asking why I was quoted for this work when I only requested an update. Maybe upon inspection or testing they saw something i didn't.

Anyway should have my gear back soon and back in the sky.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could be suggestive selling, but I am impressed if they found some evidence of pending issues which were avoided with preventative maintenance! I plan also to send in my J80HV this winter for update also. It has many flights on it, so wouldn't be surprised if they'd find something on mine.

I was considering trying a KDE 600 for a certain model we're flying...and I gather that my old Version 7 might be an issue for this combo....
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Mine is a few years old and has a pile-o-flights on it.
Waiting to hear back if they actually found something or preventive maintenance like you say.

I'm not super impressed with the KDE motors.
My buddy has one in his 7hv and it is pretty heavy thought it does seem to make oK power but runs pretty warm.

I like my Pyro's and this one has coming home has a nice machine to snuggle into.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am convinced they replaced it, having removed a housing recenty its not a matter of just peeling it away, much easier for them to replace it so sounds like you get a bargain and a new jive!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I gave the oK to do the work at 1:30 this morning, 5:30 I had a FedEx tracking number that shows it's already been picked up. ETA is Monday,16.

When I requested to know why they suggested repair they sent me some pic's and showed a dented up Cap that they stated while it's functional now they do not recommend further use.
I figured what the Hell it's already there might as well do it right and gave the oK.

They stated in final invoice "Repair of ESC" then "ESC was reset. Please reprogram" and finally "100% Functional Test"

After reading all that I am lead to believe they do repair the unit rather that replace it.
Who knows Stolla, maybe they have a better process/machine for removing the case.
Maybe they somehow dissolve the plastic.

Might be a question for Tom, he always get's us the inside scoop.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its more work for them to dissolve the case then solder new wires and caps to the board, my money is on replacement. but if they did indeed dissolve it i would like the formula for the secret sauce that can dissolve the case without harming the electronics.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it's got new wires, caps and case I'll have no way of identifying it as my original.
Unless it's my heat spreader and heat sink all scratched up lookin.
Guess I'll see next week.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent my Jive 120 HV back for service. It was in bad shape, corrosion in the wires, case damaged etc. Did not trust it. They replaced the capacitors, case and wires. It looks like new again and I am very happy with it again. (may be new) Can't beat the service and product !!!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my stuff back.
Motor is for sure repaired, new can, shaft and bearings but stator carrier and motor leads are same as it left with.

ESC, I have no reason to believe this is my original controller. For sure looks new with Ver 13 SW (which was free) Basically paid $110CAD for a new J80Hv

They did return my Heat Sink and connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3506.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	451565  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Might be a question for Tom
Now you know how they repair.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I was told gympy is they give you a new refurbed ESC it easier and less time since they have to take the rubber case and stuff off. They just take you heatsink off for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in