Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Fly View Post
Thanks but I'm fine with that because I'm actually flying a Goblin 700 Comp with tri head and tail wich are dampened, I'm just looking for different blades. However is that saying the Helix's are not made for dampened heads?!
Helix were designed for an undamped head so they will not work well with the 3 way damped Sab head.

They may have made a more stuff set as well but they would be labeled differently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fortunately the HPS3 has adjustable damping. I'm going to try mine with the mid setting first with the Helix blades. I'll tighten it up later to see if I like the difference.
MikelG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks but I'm fine with that because I'm actually flying a Goblin 700 Comp with tri head and tail wich are dampened, I'm just looking for different blades. However is that saying the Helix's are not made for dampened heads?!
So where are you located? The forecast for this area (S London and Surrey) doesn't look too promising for the weekend.

If you're close though you're welcome to try the Helix's. I'm not in a big rush. (And the problem with the main place I fly is that if it's too windy no one else will show and because we have a two member rule it means a lot of the time I'm grounded as well)
HD Cell 750, Core 700, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
So where are you located? The forecast for this area (S London and Surrey) doesn't look too promising for the weekend.

If you're close though you're welcome to try the Helix's. I'm not in a big rush. (And the problem with the main place I fly is that if it's too windy no one else will show and because we have a two member rule it means a lot of the time I'm grounded as well)
That would be well cool plus the chance to meet another London heli freak [emoji16]. I'm in S London and don't mind a bit of a travel around to other clubs. I fly as long as there's no rain! I would love to give them a try in 3D and big air flight and you're sure welcome to compare them too yourself. Thanks... should we PM?
Super Fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikelG View Post
Fortunately the HPS3 has adjustable damping. I'm going to try mine with the mid setting first with the Helix blades. I'll tighten it up later to see if I like the difference.
I already fly on the hard dampening as it is because I like a very crisp and robotic feeling heli being very predictable... you guy's got me thinking now! Saying that these SAB tri 690 3D blades feel very flexy so they may not feel any worse!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I already fly on the hard dampening as it is because I like a very crisp and robotic feeling heli being very predictable... you guy's got me thinking now! Saying that these SAB tri 690 3D blades feel very flexy so they may not feel any worse!
One of these days I'm going to try to speak with the guy from NHP, I forgot his name but I know someone that knows him. Apparently he is a minicopter flyer himself. I am really curious to know the bottom line about this whole issue of what differences are needed in blades going on a fully rigid head, if indeed there is really much to it. As I have said before, I suspect there is very little difference.
HD Cell 750, Core 700, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea keep us posted still like that test though as it's said them Helix's are made for rigid heads so I can tell if there's much difference myself.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
One of these days I'm going to try to speak with the guy from NHP, I forgot his name but I know someone that knows him. Apparently he is a minicopter flyer himself. I am really curious to know the bottom line about this whole issue of what differences are needed in blades going on a fully rigid head, if indeed there is really much to it. As I have said before, I suspect there is very little difference.
there is quite a large difference in span wise stiffness. try flexing a set next time you can feel the difference with your hands. most of the difference comes from the orientation of the carbon layup.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teAfr1can View Post
there is quite a large difference in span wise stiffness. try flexing a set next time you can feel the difference with your hands. most of the difference comes from the orientation of the carbon layup.

I have a pair of regular 700mm NHP Razor Pro blades and the Triabolo blades are NOT more flexible, in fact the regular Razor Pros have noticeably more span-wise flex to them. But this kind of very subjective flexibility is different between lots of blades and I'm not convinced you can tell anything meaningful that way unless the difference is really extreme.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a pair of regular 700mm NHP Razor Pro blades and the Triabolo blades are NOT more flexible, in fact the regular Razor Pros have noticeably more span-wise flex to them. But this kind of very subjective flexibility is different between lots of blades and I'm not convinced you can tell anything meaningful that way unless the difference is really extreme.
Maybe for NHP they are very similar but pick up a pair of Sab blades and compare and you can notice a difference
Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Maybe for NHP they are very similar but pick up a pair of Sab blades and compare and you can notice a difference
Yeah, the thing is that relative blade stiffness varies quite a bit. I don't know where the rigidity threshold is for non-damped rotorheads, there are lots of variables in the equation (as well as swash gain and etc.).
Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, the thing is that relative blade stiffness varies quite a bit. I don't know where the rigidity threshold is for non-damped rotorheads, there are lots of variables in the equation (as well as swash gain and etc.).
yeah but after a friend tried a set of helix 3 blades with a goblin with a damped head he could not adjust the osculations out of it. swapped back to more rigid blades and you could.

Helix like NHP were designed for solid heads. and have quite a bit of spanwise flex.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting all this and I'm surprised that undampened heads where even made! Hear I was getting exited that we now have more tri blade options... but no now it's about dampened and undampened [emoji19]
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Interesting all this and I'm surprised that undampened heads where even made! Hear I was getting exited that we now have more tri blade options... but no now it's about dampened and undampened [emoji19]
damped tri blade heads are very hard to get right. it is very hard without having a very large head to get enough of a moment arm for the damping to work well. even then the damping is not as easy as a 2 blade because the 2 blade head naturally balances because the other end of the shaft is attached to another blade.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
damped tri blade heads are very hard to get right. it is very hard without having a very large head to get enough of a moment arm for the damping to work well. even then the damping is not as easy as a 2 blade because the 2 blade head naturally balances because the other end of the shaft is attached to another blade.
Ok, so why then did SAB made also a HPS2 head which has indipendent dampening on a two blade head? And why does small helis even micros have dampened heads?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, so why then did SAB made also a HPS2 head which has indipendent dampening on a two blade head? And why does small helis even micros have dampened heads?
Because they could and it didn't work very well. Smaller 450s use a seesaw single shaft which is different
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The independent damping was done in relationship to their tri program. Since it is extremely hard to anchor a moving pin. But carried over directly to the early DFC designed head. Which has very little feathering shaft rock whatsoever. Unlike the stock damped HPS. They simply took the new damped tri rotor grips and added them into an almost rigid two blade head design. This head uses very hard damps! The advantage supposedly being you now have some individual damping, but without the disadvantage of the feathering shaft itself rocking, supposedly giving better tracking during transitions. They have a more crisp feel than their stock damped HPS heads from what I hear. Not as crisp as the early DFC, which was unable to perform well at lower head speeds. ( Mostly due to tuning issues with the more basic fbl systems can be argued ).
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried out the helix blades on the Triabolo. The first thing you notice is how much faster it is in the collective and cyclic. The heli feels lighter and more agile/faster, with the same FBL settings I had with the NHP blades. The FBL needs to be re tuned to suit the blades. The tail kicks a bit more on full collective punchouts as there is probably more bite from the blades. I may try adjusting the ESC P gain to tune this.
There were no obvious vibrations to the naked eye, and tracking was OK, some flights better than others, can't explain this. They performed well in my 3 HS, 1200 1500 1750, but I felt they were happier at 1750, just my observation, no reason to this.
I am putting the NHP blades back on as I can't be bothered to retune the heli as it is working great as it is with the NHP blades, but once they are gone, then I look forward to putting the Helix blades back on.
In conclusion there is a difference in flight performance between the NHP and the Helix blades, with the helix being faster, more aggressive and with more bite. I did not notice any change in noise from the blades. There were no obvious issues with the airframe in using the blades so far. I only had 3 flights on them.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you get the feeling they're any more efficient than the NHPs? To really judge I think it would require hovering for a few seconds at each headspeed and do the same with the NHPs and then compare the logs.

I don't want to bias myself against the Helix blades but I have a feeling I won't like them because I love the really planted rock solid feel of the Tri with the NHPs. But we shall see. If I end up liking them it's because they're really good, not because I want to like them :-o I'd prefer to not like them so I can sell them on! :-)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

smsodhi,

Your tracking was going in and out? Is that what you meant?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in