Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DOA Flymentor?

Hello all

I ordered a Flymentor last winter, never got around to install it. So this week I decided to give it a try. Now I'm pretty sure I got a DOA unit. just want to check here for any ideas before I throw it away.

here is what it does:

-as soon as I power up the heli I get a solid green and red led on the FM. No red blinking during initilization like i've seen in Ivan setup video.

-no signs of life at all on the servos, whether I move the sticks or move the heli. they dont even center after power up

-cant connect to the FM with the software. The software sees the KDS Link and the FM but stays stuck at "connecting..." (using a fresh install of XP)

I've checked my wiring a few times now and everything seems perfect. I've tried to re-bind a few times too.

what do you think? Any thing else I should try before concluding that the one I got is dead?

thanks, I appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh_zx6 View Post
Hello all

I ordered a Flymentor last winter, never got around to install it. So this week I decided to give it a try. Now I'm pretty sure I got a DOA unit. just want to check here for any ideas before I throw it away.

here is what it does:

-as soon as I power up the heli I get a solid green and red led on the FM. No red blinking during initilization like i've seen in Ivan setup video.

-no signs of life at all on the servos, whether I move the sticks or move the heli. they dont even center after power up

-cant connect to the FM with the software. The software sees the KDS Link and the FM but stays stuck at "connecting..." (using a fresh install of XP)

I've checked my wiring a few times now and everything seems perfect. I've tried to re-bind a few times too.

what do you think? Any thing else I should try before concluding that the one I got is dead?

thanks, I appreciate the input.
nope,
not until you get it opened in the pc! use xp only!
this is how i test out mine, plug servos on 1 2 3 5
plug the gyro and ccd
power is on ch1 3wire, plug power on then give the gyro movement, the servos should move!
jbx907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx907 View Post
nope,
not until you get it opened in the pc! use xp only!
this is how i test out mine, plug servos on 1 2 3 5
plug the gyro and ccd
power is on ch1 3wire, plug power on then give the gyro movement, the servos should move!
Not sure I clearly understand what you mean. I pretty much followed the steps you are mentionning and I get no signs of life from the unit beside the solid leds at power on. Do you mean that it is normal until I get it configured with the software then after it'll come to life?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the blue and green wires connected. If they are unplug them and let them dangle for the moment. Also check the polarity of all the connectors to the main unit.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Are the blue and green wires connected. If they are unplug them and let them dangle for the moment. Also check the polarity of all the connectors to the main unit.
Blue and Green are unplugged at the moment. In my troubleshooting steps I tried to plug them but it didnt make a difference in the behavior the unit has.

I'll check the polarity once again tonight, but I have already checked it a few times, this was actually the first possible mistake that came in my mind when the trouble started
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

is this installed already in the heli? or are you testing it fresh out of the box?
by default the gain in the program is set to 70 position mode, without any other connetions except servo on the flymentor, plug the three wire to a chanel on the rx and do a gyro sense test, yes leave the green at blue wire unplugged and just move around the gyro and see if any servos move!

it should have gyro response to servo to know its alive!

now about the cable, the small one plugs on the FM, take note, it plugs in either way and you can reverse it accidentally, there is an arrow marking on the small plug meaning it should be face you when facing the FM front!
arrow same side as the FM label!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
is this installed already in the heli? or are you testing it fresh out of the box?
by default the gain in the program is set to 70 position mode, without any other connetions except servo on the flymentor, plug the three wire to a chanel on the rx and do a gyro sense test, yes leave the green at blue wire unplugged and just move around the gyro and see if any servos move!

it should have gyro response to servo to know its alive!

now about the cable, the small one plugs on the FM, take note, it plugs in either way and you can reverse it accidentally, there is an arrow marking on the small plug meaning it should be face you when facing the FM front!
arrow same side as the FM label!
Just tried exactly what you said. Took everything out of the heli. I use another ESC/BEC I had, plugged the ESC in to the RX, plugged the FM three wire (black,red,white) into channel 2 (AILE on spektrum). Plugged the ccd, gyro and servos into the FM.

same behavior. only the two solid green and red led right from the power up. no signs of life whatsoever on the servo and cannot connect to it with the software.

in the trash it goes
Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just tried exactly what you said. Took everything out of the heli. I use another ESC/BEC I had, plugged the ESC in to the RX, plugged the FM three wire (black,red,white) into channel 2 (AILE on spektrum). Plugged the ccd, gyro and servos into the FM.

same behavior. only the two solid green and red led right from the power up. no signs of life whatsoever on the servo and cannot connect to it with the software.

in the trash it goes
wait, check the servo connection on the FM, the brown or black ground is on the edge of the FM, just dont give up ok! check how the servos are hooked, the negative ground is on the edge to the right!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
wait, check the servo connection on the FM, the brown or black ground is on the edge of the FM, just dont give up ok! check how the servos are hooked, the negative ground is on the edge to the right!
I already checked that also. I have the right polarity.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not looking good
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry

gosh, dont you have some kind of warrantee... it is dead... im out of hopes..
i wonder if you are able to open it up in the pc to reset it to defaults... i myself have experience errors when programming and saving, all servo go on one end.. it usually need reboot! but your is totally dead! im sorry for that, next time alway do a test fresh out of the box!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

doesn't your servo twitch when booting this? it seem to have no power if it doesn't twitch!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

anyway we know its defective, if you dont have warratee, it time to open it up, its a very small board, time to see if there is a burn foil on the board, it seem to have no power on the servo too.. if you have a tester, you can test the terminals of the servo output, positive middle, negative farthest right... you should have 5-6volt reading on those terminals... examine the board with lens, the foils are very thin!
or have a geek look at the board if your not up to it! hehehe
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
doesn't your servo twitch when booting this? it seem to have no power if it doesn't twitch!
no twitch, nothing.

I bought it like 6 months ago, I doubt that I can return it to HK. I should have at least bench tested it when I received it. lesson learned.

Thanks all for the assistance, I appreciate it.
cheers!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
anyway we know its defective, if you dont have warratee, it time to open it up, its a very small board, time to see if there is a burn foil on the board, it seem to have no power on the servo too.. if you have a tester, you can test the terminals of the servo output, positive middle, negative farthest right... you should have 5-6volt reading on those terminals... examine the board with lens, the foils are very thin!
or have a geek look at the board if your not up to it! hehehe
Actually, it's a good idea and I just did that.

I have +5v on the FM servo output connector. there also +1.5v out of the FM to the CCD and Gyro connector.

It might be a cold solder somewhere. I'll to borrow a magnifying glass and look at the board..
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Actually, it's a good idea and I just did that.

I have +5v on the FM servo output connector. there also +1.5v out of the FM to the CCD and Gyro connector.

It might be a cold solder somewhere. I'll to borrow a magnifying glass and look at the board..
ok thats good.. you'll learn more electronics now hehehe! anyway its part of our hobby!

im sure the gyro and ccd and cable will be spare parts in case you get another!
good luck pilot!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is certainly a move in the right direction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in