Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 8fg gyro set up and I'm new

I just picked up a new 8fg radio and I have a trex 450 sport and a trex 500. I am still not sure how to set up a gyro correct I am told a futaba is different, I have also been told about heading hold and rate mode. But I would like to know what settings to start with, I have the align 750 gyros in both. When do you use rate mode or heading hold? All the flying I have done has been in heading hold it works fine and goes straight. When setting up the radio should the gyro switch be set up at two different settings of heading hold or one rate mode and one heading hold?

Thanks
Kyle

Last edited by Inman20k; 04-22-2010 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: I cant spell
Inman20k is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless you fly scale stuff, we all use HH mode. The only reason I have rate mode setup is for when I carry my heli to the flight line and set it down. I toggle the gear switch between rate and HH mode to recenter the servo. That way when I spool up the heli does not spin around.
Asign your gyro to the gear switch"B", GY mode, for gyro and then set the % you want to run. I usually start around 60% and then dial it down or up, in the menu you will see 2 settings, because of the switch assignment. Give the upper one a setting with AVC in front of the number, this is HH mode.
The lower number have NOR in front of your number this is rate mode. If you want to fly in rate mode you have to setup the linkages so that your tail does not drift. It's time consuming but if you fly HH mode then you don't need it.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a very new pilot so if I say something that's just plain stupid, let me know!

I just bought an 8FG and set it up for my T-Rex. I'm using a Futaba GY401 so I set it to AVCS mode. I'm not sure if this mode is indiginous to the Futaba GY but in the 8FG manual it says to use "normal" unless it is a Futaba GYA gyro.

Anyway, I did something a little different on the gyro set-up. I spent a lot of time with my DX6i fishing for the right gyro setting and figured there must be a better way. Since the 401 is a heading hold gyro and I wouldn't need my rudder trim, I assigned T4 (rudder trim) as the control for gyro gain. I set the gain to 70% and put 20% in the fine tune area. Now I can run the gyro gain with the rudder trim while I sort out the very best setting. Set like this, centered is the 70% and it can be run in 1% increments up to 90% (70%+20%) or down to 50% (70%-20%). If that gain is too high then lower the gain to say 60% and you can have instant access to 40% to 80% etc...

It seems to work like a champ...
keef95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gyro setup is one thing real strength with the Futaba radios
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds great this is a lot of help. Is there anything else specific to the 8fg i should know about? Also in heading hold what if the tail drifts? Now with my 6i and a align750 with like 68% on the gain I clicked the trim a little and it brought the tail right in, from what I have read you should not use trim. How do you keep the tail straight? And is ACV or ACVS "heading hold"?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are there any set-up videos on the 8fg?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should not use any subtrim of any kind. Usually this will cause drift issues because it throws off what the gyro knows as center.
Look up your gyro and watch the videos on it, Drift is usually setup problems not radio issues.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman20k View Post
I just picked up a new 8fg radio and I have a trex 450 sport and a trex 500. I am still not sure how to set up a gyro correct I am told a futaba is different, I have also been told about heading hold and rate mode. But I would like to know what settings to start with, I have the align 750 gyros in both. When do you use rate mode or heading hold? All the flying I have done has been in heading hold it works fine and goes straight. When setting up the radio should the gyro switch be set up at two different settings of heading hold or one rate mode and one heading hold?

Thanks
Kyle
HI IM NEW
NEWBEE!
good to see you on Kyle.
Doctordrew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

With a futaba radio you should aim for 25 to 35% gain for gyro settings.
JR is 0 to 100, and futaba is 0 to 50. Jr also has a slightly futher throw so they set up differently.
scootr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have been looking around here and i dont think gain is switchable with this radio, unless you use different gains in each flight mode...(eg normal, idle 1, etc...) i could be wrong, but ive spent a few evenings messing with it, and couldnt figure it out....so i set my hh gain for each mode, and then set 0 gain in throttle hold. if im missing something, let me know.

rob
guitarherowanab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can put gain on a switch just click on condition and change to switch
Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
With a futaba radio you should aim for 25 to 35% gain for gyro settings.
JR is 0 to 100, and futaba is 0 to 50. Jr also has a slightly futher throw so they set up differently.
Futaba 8fg you aim above 50 below 50 is rate mode and it can go up to 100. Most of the gyro i'm around 80 or below just as my dx6i. Futaba is changing the gyro menu so you can match gain off spektrum or jr radio.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually Futaba is 0 to 100 in both rate and HH mode.
If you look at the gyro menu, you will notice that to the left of the number there is an AVCS or NORM
If you are setting a number in AVCS then this is HH mode. Finless covers this in one of his gyro videos and even shows how Futaba is 1 to 1, meaning if you set your radio to 34, it is 34 in the gyro. With JR you have to do the math to figure it out.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashagain View Post
Actually Futaba is 0 to 100 in both rate and HH mode.
If you look at the gyro menu, you will notice that to the left of the number there is an AVCS or NORM
If you are setting a number in AVCS then this is HH mode. Finless covers this in one of his gyro videos and even shows how Futaba is 1 to 1, meaning if you set your radio to 34, it is 34 in the gyro. With JR you have to do the math to figure it out.
Very odd because around 50 and below is rate mode. And above between 47 50 and above is head holding
on all my gyros. My logictech 6100t tells me (built in lcd) when its on rate mode which is below 47 or could be 48. On most gyro I select around under 40 for rate mode to check for drift while hovering. Then I switch it to 80 then
back down until wag is gone. Between 60 and 70 is my gain most servo/gyro combo except align
badge telebee which was around close to 80.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 helis, all with Spartan gyros and my gain settings are 32% 37% and 41% Using a Futaba 10C
I forgot, only cause I don't use it, but if you are in STD mode in the gyro menu then you are right about the above 50 and below 50 thing.
I have mine set in GY mode which is 1 to 1.
Finless covers this in his video on the 10C.
http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...e=gyromenu.wmv
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to follow the follow the less than 50 rate mode, more than 50 HH mode on my Futaba 7C. That had me all confused and wagging like crazy. I have since discovered Bob's 1-1 Futaba statement. As long as I am in GY mode and I have the A in gyro menu, I am in HH mode. I run my PG-800 at 32. Gyro says its in HH mode.
wishfull1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in