Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #201 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Finally got to review and upload some of the video taken when flying Clicky's nano last month. Thank you to Clicky for the video.

(Had to upgrade my video player on the Linux as it would originally not play the video).

May not be very impressive, but the thing to remember is that I had been flying CP less than 5 months at this stage.

(Inverted and upright hovers, upright CW and CCW circles)
Nano flying in the UK (2 min 30 sec)

(backward CCW circles)
Nano flying in the UK - Backward circles (0 min 28 sec)
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Post your sim and skill videos here!

For flying as short as you do, you're progressing at quite a high speed. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #203 (permalink)

have seen that,really great
Nortrom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the style I have been working on...

Sorry no cameraman, so I used an iPhone on a Rube Goldberg hat mount.

[ame]http://youtu.be/nO3d5yliSLg[/ame]

Still have much to learn, but I see progress each week.
Trexwilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like that style, close to what I am working on: slow, precise 3d with smooth transitions between maneuvers. I do fly a bit more aggressive with more piros here and there but not as close to the ground!
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks,

I do fly a bit harder when I fly a little higher, I kind of had to keep it low so that the iPhone could capture the flight. But I have been working more on control and less on shock style flying. I am never going to be a 3D king, so I would rather keep it smooth and controlled!

Getting old sucks!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #207 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexwilly View Post
Thanks,

I do fly a bit harder when I fly a little higher, I kind of had to keep it low so that the iPhone could capture the flight. But I have been working more on control and less on shock style flying. I am never going to be a 3D king, so I would rather keep it smooth and controlled!

Getting old sucks!
I personally prefer this style to "heli on crack" that seems to be popular. I am not yet that confident (or smooth). Getting there slowly.

I like the smooth transitions, the backward circles and loop.

You did well keeping it in frame.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't posted 'first inverted' or anything similar until now! (First heli in January, inverted by April)

I was so excited when I finally 'stirred' my first piro-funnel tonight. I've been flying them (horribly) since I learned all my funnels about 2/3 months ago. I've been able to 'bump' them around for a while, but after two weeks of solid work I got a few going tonight with a proper piro-stir. Stirring is not quite 100% apparent in the video, but this is a moment for me. True 3D flying!

[ame]http://youtu.be/JRoLoLkqblc[/ame]

P.S. It is easy to record videos on the Mac using quicktime. Just go to File -> New Screen Recording
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #209 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Code3Medic,

That looks amazing. Beats the socks off anything I'm doing.

Next is to do it IRL with your TRex 500.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a flight with a little more aggressive flying.

[ame]http://youtu.be/KNiKRjtjOqI[/ame]
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

Code3Medic,

Your video is inspiring. Amazing progress for 6 months into the hobby. The heli stays level even through the transitions from upright to inverted. And what a nice tight funnel. Bravo

By the way, at around 0:47 when the "people" suddenly popped into view, I almost jumped out of my seat. I forgot for a moment that this is a sim
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the compliments.

The sim is a wonderful thing. I spend about half my time with unstructured flying and practicing particular moves for 10-20 minutes here and there. When the mood strikes I may spend an hour or two really working on something, usually a new move.

I ran through piro-tic tocs like this, starting a 30% speed and slowly working my way up.

For me, the sim is a relaxing way to listen to some music and kill time at work (between calls on the ambulance). I've been doing about 10 hours on the sim per week since I started.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man i wish i could sim at work while waiting between service calls. i can at least sit on here but id really be goin somewhere if i could sim for half the day everyday lol.

Deff awesome flying Codemedic, the piro funnel almost looked like a circle tho, not quite the angle you see funnels at but props anyhow cuz i couldnt do it with that smoothness of control. im sure youll get them flatter as you get better with them.
Stubbz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Inverted Flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZf4W...ature=youtu.be

I know it's not very exciting sim work, but it's actually an accomplishment considering that only weeks ago most of my attempts at inverted flight ended in crashes... and that was in the sim too. I wanted to thank Archmage for recommending the slow piro training... it really seems to be helping.

I'm still quite a ways off from being able to attempt anything like this in RL, but I can hover inverted nose-in for a bit, bring it towards me and then flip it around.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #215 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter76 View Post
I know it's not very exciting sim work, but it's actually an accomplishment considering that only weeks ago most of my attempts at inverted flight ended in crashes... and that was in the sim too. I wanted to thank Archmage for recommending the slow piro training... it really seems to be helping.

I'm still quite a ways off from being able to attempt anything like this in RL, but I can hover inverted nose-in for a bit, bring it towards me and then flip it around.
Looking mighty fine. I'd still practice more in sim before taking to field. Try keep it on the same side (like at the field) instead of going around you. Looks to be in control.

Keep at it and it will "click" pretty soon and invert forward flight will be as comfortable as upright forward.

Most of all, have fun. Use the sim to safely stretch the comfort zones so you can fly IRL how you want.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter76 View Post
I see in your sig that you have an MCPX. I think you are ready to try inverted circuits on your MCPX at least. I find the practice I do on the mcpx really helps me with the bigger helis. The mcpx is just so darned quick that it hones your reflexes to the point where the larger helis almost move in slow motion allowing your brain/fingers to "auto-think" and react.
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cannot agree more, I learnt real life inverted circuit on the mcpx. Made them a breeze when I stepped up to 600 and 700 size helis....
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@reez View Post
I see in your sig that you have an MCPX. I think you are ready to try inverted circuits on your MCPX at least. I find the practice I do on the mcpx really helps me with the bigger helis. The mcpx is just so darned quick that it hones your reflexes to the point where the larger helis almost move in slow motion allowing your brain/fingers to "auto-think" and react.
Thanks man, that's a great idea. I broke off the battery leads from the main board after too many rough disconnects, but it shouldn't be hard to order another board and get it going again. A lot less risk doing the inverted circuits with the micro too. Maybe I'll upgrade to the BL while I'm at it.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't normally post over here, but I would recommend the mcpx over the mcpx-bl for your first inverted circuits. The BL has an insane amount of power for a micro and will take a little getting used to. I still use the mcpx when I want to work on circuits, and I have the BL and 2 130x's. Also, you shouldn't need to buy a new board, just solder the old battery wires back on. The battery wires are the easiest soldering you'll ever do on a micro heli.

Good luck!

George
gstoneberg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
I don't normally post over here, but I would recommend the mcpx over the mcpx-bl for your first inverted circuits. The BL has an insane amount of power for a micro and will take a little getting used to. I still use the mcpx when I want to work on circuits, and I have the BL and 2 130x's. Also, you shouldn't need to buy a new board, just solder the old battery wires back on. The battery wires are the easiest soldering you'll ever do on a micro heli.
Ah too late... already grabbed a BL in the for sale section. That's okay I'll try running a lower head speed if it's too crazy.

Yes I had already soldered back on the battery leads, but then I cut off the connector for some other random project. I never liked the way the MCPX flips/rolls so hopefully the BL is better that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in