Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to "un warp" blades??

I got a brand new set of upper blades and as soon as I put them on I noticed a lift issue and a wobble issue. At first I thought it was because of all the bling I had put on it but the only things I added with the blades were new motors, a CNC lower head, and a steel main shaft w/ CNC upper head. I had NO problems before that except my motors were wearing out. At first thought I had bad motors out of the bag.

Both heads had tight spots where the blades went in. Cured that by hand spinning a drill bit in them to clean up all the burrs/imperfectins. Then I lubricated EVERYTHING with silicone. That solved my wobble issues, but the lift was still just not there. It would climb but only SOOOO slowly.

Then last night I figured it out I think. One of the upper blades is warped badly. I could see it when hovering at eye level it actually looked like the top blades were making a V at the edges because the one hangs down so much. is there any way to fix this or do I just buy new ones.

How could a blade be warped out of the bag?? Is this common? Needless to say I'll be checking all of em from now on.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried just bending them? If that doesn't work I guess you could try some heat from a blow dryer maybe.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's only the one. The other loos fine. I tried just bending it but it just goes right back to how it was. I'll try the hairdryer on high tonight.

The curve should be exactly the same on both top blades, correct? I'll just try and make it look like the other by matching them up a few times.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

They say if you put your plastic blades in boiling hot water for about a minute and then let them cool on a flat surface. This will correct the warp. I have never done this but there are internet videos to show it works.
suresharp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you just bought them from your LHS, just bring them back. To heat and bend it without changing the pitch may be difficult. If you bought them online, call the vendor and send them a pic they might just send you a new pair. For me, not worth the hassel for $3 blades unless you don't have access to other blades.
GeKu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
It's only the one. The other loos fine. I tried just bending it but it just goes right back to how it was. I'll try the hairdryer on high tonight.

The curve should be exactly the same on both top blades, correct? I'll just try and make it look like the other by matching them up a few times.
The head speed is pretty low on the mcx so I doubt you will have to be too precise.

The hot water trick sound like a good idea.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got em through Amazon, and it's totally not worth the hassle of sending them back.

That's why I wanna just try and fix em, if it doesnt work no big deal but if it does I got the fresh blades I paid for at no extra cost.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boil them in water and lay them on a flat surface. You can search Youtube and you will find many videos on this....Hopes this helps....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuccio View Post
Boil them in water and lay them on a flat surface. You can search Youtube and you will find many videos on this....Hopes this helps....

Nice found a vid for the CX2. I'm sure the process is the same. Thats exactly how mine is warped too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNv8OlG6GQ[/ame]

Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
I got em through Amazon, and it's totally not worth the hassle of sending them back.

That's why I wanna just try and fix em, if it doesnt work no big deal but if it does I got the fresh blades I paid for at no extra cost.
True, especially if you have to file a PP claim and wait out the 45 days or whatever it is. I would only put them in for 1/2 the time as I think the CX2 blades are thicker. Hopefully you don't lose the inside curve. Let us know how it turns out.
GeKu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

WELLLLLL... 30 seconds was too long LOL. It curled up like a taquito so fast it wasnt funny. It was fine for about 20 then once it started to curl it did it so fast it was unsalvageable.

Put the old uppers on and it flew fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

DOH!! I was thinking boiling might be too much and 30 seconds might be too long..lol

Hot out of the tap would have probably done it..

Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a REAL fine line. I did it for about 12 the first time and they weren't relaxed enough to hold the new shape. Probably should have let em cool all the way down or only put em back in for another 12.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure the water wasn't boiling, unless he has hands of steel.

Anyway, I have an extra set of new blades that I'd be happy to send you. I bought a bunch when I bought the heli, but I haven't broken a blade yet. Send me a message with your mailing address and I'll send the blades to you. No charge.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The water was boiling and he wrote that he ran his hands under cold water for a few seconds first. I did the same and it was fine. (If you burn yourself I didn't tell you to do it LOL.)

We did it to 3 of my buddies blades the other day. He got two sets and 3 out of 4 were badly warped. After experimenting the sweet spot seems to be at like 21-22 seconds. It starts to curl at 25.

2 out of the 3 ended up perfect and one got taco'd LOL.

I really appreciate the offer das but it'd probably cost you more to ship em than it would for me to just buy new ones. She's back in the air with the old one on there for now anyway. Glad to know there are still good people out there who just want to help others. If I'm ever in a position to help you I'll remember that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in