Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Aftermarket Upgrades

500 Aftermarket Upgrades Align T-REX 500 Aftermarket Upgrades by HF Vendors and Supporters

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

For those who like it it is nice bling, but it really is not any more functional than stock. If it rotates at the top, that could be a problem.
fvdriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchandyaw View Post
I just recently picked up one of the KDE anti-rotation brackets for my 500. The product looks really nice and really high quality, but I have an issue with how mine fits on my 500.

Basically, once everything is installed, you can easily move top of the bracket forwards and backwards at the top in either direction. It seems that the threaded holes are too low on my bracket so it sits higher in the frame and there is a gap underneath it. IE - it doesn't rest snugly on the CF frame sides.

I'm not sure if Align have slightly changed their parts or the new bracket is 'faulty'. Mine is the very latest 500 ESP 3G kit which I only built a week or two ago.

The standard Trex plastic bracket fits fine.

Has anyone else seen this?
Yes, there was a change in the latest ALIGN frames for the 500 (with the lower battery mount), in which they moved the hole up a small amount (0.25mm or so) to what I would assume was compensation for shrink in the stock plastic anti-rotation bracket or just a way to pull tighter on the plastic (as it will flex under the load of the screws).

The simple fix for this to prevent the rocking is to drill the hole a bit oversized (standard is 2.5mm, so use a 3.0mm or 1/8" drill). Then, reassemble the KDE Direct upgrade into the frames, align the surfaces of the upgrade to the frame, and then tighten the screws (canopy standoff set screw). Once the screws are snug, the bracket is locked down tight and will not rock anymore. Since there are very minor forces on the part, it won't move once tightened.

Hope this helps and sorry about the tolerance change, it's something we unfortunately cannot control and we can't change the KDE Direct upgrade, as it would no longer fit some of the older frame sets, which are still very popular and widespread on the market.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post
Hope this helps and sorry about the tolerance change, it's something we unfortunately cannot control and we can't change the KDE Direct upgrade, as it would no longer fit some of the older frame sets, which are still very popular and widespread on the market.

Thanks,
Patrick
Yes, the old frames are plenty, but the new frames are the norm. Changing the hole location would be a good thing, since any new kits from Align will have the new frame.

SK
resqjock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this but mine began to delaminate where the antirotation bar slides up and down. it has developed rather rough patches where the black metal is showing through the silver covering... i sent an email to kde support hope i get a reply. i have only had about 10 flights with it.

Update: patrick got a hold of me and is taking care of it. im really impressed with customer service from KDE all the other parts i own of thiers are excellent

Last edited by Wh1teAfr1can; 09-14-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Wh1teAfr1can is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Aluminum rubbing on aluminum tends to cause galling, what you are most likely seeing. I thought that KDE put a anodize on their parts that will 'slow' galling but it's inevitable over time.

I always use candle wax in that area, just to keep things smooth, and I haven't had any problems.
bugdozer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in