Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Thank you DX6i for teaching me to do a full preflight, EVERY flight

I got my 600/700 stretch super dialed in in the backyard this morning, blade tracking perfect with the new blades, almost hands off hover stability. I finally headed up to the local private airport (which is closed on Saturdays) to truly test out the 700 stretch with some real flying! Plugged it in, all seemed well. Servos were alive and going in the right direction gyro had initialized, it was go time! I started to spool up, the normal spool up vibes were shaking it, but i figured i would let it sit at mid stick for a few seconds to let the blades straighten out. I started to push a little farther, and INSTANTLY the thing tipped over (high speed tip) and carbon chunks were a flyin! Hit the throttle hold and managed to stand it back up, just chipping the blade tips severely, and breaking a swash linkage. I could not tell what had happened, it flew great just an hour before, but now I noticed that my collective, was only moving the pitch servo, not my ele or ail (but I still could do aile and ele by themselves no problem)... So I thought, hmm, maybe I accidentally changed the swash mix or something. I went into my menu, and decided to check the swash mix first. When I entered the SM set up, i got the "Inhibit" message, but it wouldn't even let me change it. When trying to scroll to it to activate it, the cursor would stay on "list" in the top right corner, not even letting me set up a swash mix
Then I thought, "Oh no, i changed the model to airplane in the set up list somehow by mistake... Nope. Still heli." So basically, I am unable to enter my swash mix setup. This makes me not trust my TX for pylon racing tomorrow (I really wouldn't want to have a failure and hit someone,) and my brand new blades are straight trashed.
I will call Horizon when they open, and see if they will do anything, but I doubt i will get any compensation for my blades. And yes, my DX6i was of the recalled batch, however I sent it in and got the new firmware and new gimbals put on.

Last edited by Foamboy; 04-16-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Foamboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats why I always check that all my servos are operating properly before clicking off throttle hold.

Align Trex 500 Scorpion 3226-1400 powered missile
Wildcards is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That really stinks,but it is a reminder to us all to ALWAYS do a pre flight check...May be Horizon will send you a new radio next time..
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can't quite decipher what actually happened.. and whose fault it was.. but ALWAYS wiggle the sticks for a quickie preflight.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...Me too...I always do the swash wiggle and sometimes, will hold at the limits to see if it has any twitch or Buzz...
PT
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I'm gathering your heli is a flybar heli, and the DX6i reset some of your settings, one of which is resetting the swash to INH mode? Because otherwise if you run a FBL setup, you want the swash to be in INH mode.

Yeah that sucks if so, I had my dx6i reset itself before, so I upgraded the TX when I got my 700 for safety reasons. Not to be harsh, but you should have caught this in a pre-flight check, although I can understand your excitement to get flying and thinking nothing should have changed from an hour before.

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Update

I did a quick preflight cylic circle, and saw that all servos were moving in the right direction as well as my tail servo. The one thing I didn't check, was collective... Bit me on the ass that time.

The radio didn't just reset, but it is actually glitched or something. Check this video, It won't even let me put any swash mix in there... http://youtu.be/JfWGPukKfcc

I have no idea how this happened, or how I'm gonna fix the TX... I already tried taking the batteries out, still nada. So up next is setting up a new model, but I will have to pick something to delete.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default One more thing

Also, what it says on the screen is "Inhibit." Not just the usual INH... Something is really whack with this one...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about deleting the current model?
Does the swash mix work with the other models in your list?
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the swash type setting. Should be 120 degree setting.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you somehow changed the swash type to one servo/mechanical mixing. Would explain why you cant get into the swash mix settings and only the pitch servo moving on collective.
fletch83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing that comes to mind.
If your swash type is 90 degree 1 servos the swash mix menu in the DX6i is INH, its just how it is.
Check that!
But isnt you using V-bar becouse if you are swash type is supose to be set to 90 degree 1 servo where the V-bar does the mixing.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch! It's sad when you can't trust something to perform like it is programmed. Well, live and learn I guess.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are using an fbl system, and the swash is set to 90 degree single servo, it will say INH in the mix setting and that is correct for most FBL applications. There is no mixing with most fbl setups. Sounds like there is another issue not related to the TX. But nevertheless, sorry to hear about your crash.
You can go into the "settings" menu and change the swash type back to 120ccpm and then the inh will go away and allow you to change the mixing in the "swash mix" menu
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My none dsmx 6i will brainfart and lose/reset or reverse settings. The reversed setting is still flagged as being correct. The lost/reset settings only retain model name. I have the model backed up in a spare slot so when it all goes wrong I can reset model and copy back. The dsmx 6i the elevator pot failed with only a few hours use!. Got lucky preflight finds brainfart, in the case of the pot fail model was erratic and failed on the bench.
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Twice mine got reversed somehow when setting up FBL, works fine now.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not FBL...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=405855
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default found the problem

I'm not FBL, im still running the flybar. But i went into the swash type, and it had changed itself from 120 to 90 degree. I realize that we can bump a trim tab, or accidentally adjust something, but swash type is pretty deep in the menu to accidentally click. Especially since I hadn't done any adjusting in the TX all morning. I believe the the radio changed itself, which still has me worried. Im glad something like that didn't happen while I was flying though.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have kids? They love playing with radios.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Have kids? They love playing with radios.
They love breaking radios, atleast mine do.
Oh boy I know that feeling.

I have a DX6i and I would never trust it or even fly a model with it. Mine is strictly used as a trainer TX on the sim for my kids.

Tags
dx6i fail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in