Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Edge 80 enough?

Ok Im finishing up my 600L just wondering is the edge 80 enough if you spank on it a bit? I'm thinking about at least a 120, or the 80 is ok?
AllanNg is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

80 is perfect! just make sure to set current to insensitive!

insensitive gives u tolerance up to 160a peak spikes from memory. never hit that yet personally. but im not a hardcore hard smak 3d pilot.
Synergy E7se - MSH Brain / CC Edge 120HV
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep.. the 80 is perfect. A lot of people look at the motor specs but that does not describe how the motor will pull current under the specific condition of the helicopter's rotor RPM, blade size, weight..... etc. The motor will only pull current under load.

This helicopter uses about 30A on average and about 110A at peak. I've even seen peaks of 130A in very hard smack 3D flights and still the ESC temps stay about 160* F. Definitely agree to verify your currrent load in the logs and then turn off Current limiting. It sounds scary, but CC tells you to in the manual. It's not a helicopter feature anyway. I turned mine off completely... or you can set insensitive. Your choice and your conditions.

Align had it perfect. Now if you managed to get the 750mx around some 700 blades.... (which is what it was designed for) OMG you'd need a 120A ESC. As long as you stay on the 600 disc... you can blast any rotor RPM and pitch combo you can think of.

I recommend 5-8*timing, 2400 RPM governed, 12 pwm and a tuned governor gain. Its a monster helicopter with insane flight times and I run packs back to back. The ESC isn't warm, the motor is hardly even warm and its making 6000 watts at peak.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys. Will give that a go and check the log too. I do run all voltage at low or disabled.
AllanNg is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea I'd put the voltage cutoff to RPM reduction at 3.2volts.

And the Current cutoff to either insensitive or disabled after you review a flight log.

It'll be fine. I murder it at 2400 & 2500 rpm governed and 13 degrees of pitch with the current limiting disabled entirely.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few I know are running 80s on their 600s. I ran a YGE version for a few flights. But had issues with mine overheating, even with a smaller motor. Which I hated. I found I could install a cheaper $$$100.00 Yep HV120 with heat sinc, and have stayed with that for years now running larger motors. Mine is mounted inside the frame, and is to date my favorite daily warm up 3d smack heli. Even over my 7 and 800s. But for most, and 80 works just fine.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run 3 edge 80's and one of ICE2's- never had problem.....

Never see pics of these burnt up like the talon 90's.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in