Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Question BEC instalation?

Ok I have the deans connectors, and my BEC. Any tips on how to install the BEC. It looks easy but from everything that I remember about my CPPro, nothing is as eaasy as it looks. What can I look forward to in the problem or Damn I should have known that areas? I want to get my 400 back in the air BADLY but I am not going to rush it and screw it up even worse.
Kindling Maker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depending on the brand will affect your actual connection. On mine (a Hobbywing) I connected the input in parallel with the deans connector, kept the connection from the ESC to the receiver but removed the red power wire and then plugged the lead form the BEC into the receivers battery port.

Some (such as the Castle Creations I think?) have a socket to plug the existing lead from the ESC to receiver into, then the other lead from the BEC plugs back into the receiver's throttle position.

I then mounted mine on the front left outside of the frame, with a little doublesided tape and a cable tie.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok thanks I have a Sport BEC. Where you mounted it, did it evect the canopy fit? I am going to put it on tomorrow, but I am going to have our HVAC guys do the deal connectors, They have a better soldering iron and I want to make sure that I get a good weld on that. my Iron is good for little things but not real good for big stuff.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Na, no problems at all with the canopy - plenty of room up there on the side.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just solder the esc/bec to the deans black black - red red and your done.....very easy then if your servos/gyro can handle 6V just flip the switch. No wires to cut like the CC version.
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I choose to stay with the EC3 connections so I guess the only way to solder my SportBEC to the ESC is to cut off the existing EC3 connector and solder in the Sport as I solder in a new plug. I know people swear by Deans but I saw some threads on people having trouble pulling them apart as well as connectiviity issues so I'll stick with the factory connector for now. If these give me too much problem, I'll try the PowerPoles.
Gsquared08 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsquared08 View Post
I choose to stay with the EC3 connections so I guess the only way to solder my SportBEC to the ESC is to cut off the existing EC3 connector and solder in the Sport as I solder in a new plug.
Actually, all you have to do is solder the SportBEC power leads to the ESC end of the power leads (i.e. to the ESC itself) and you won't have to mess with carving up the EC3's.
Dynarace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynarace View Post
Actually, all you have to do is solder the SportBEC power leads to the ESC end of the power leads (i.e. to the ESC itself) and you won't have to mess with carving up the EC3's.
Right Dynarace slice open the red/black wires after the EC3 and tap or solder the sportbec power lead to it.
eugenefelisco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, that saved some headache since I suck at soldering.

Wait! Slice open the wires AFTER the EC3? I'm at work so I can't look at it and I can't picture in my head where that is in the line. I'll check it out when I get home.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Between the EC3 and the ESC. Slice into the wires covering and peel it open. Solder the BEC's lead onto that. It still needs to be soldered tho, do not just wrap the wires around and tape it - you will regret it as you pick up the pieces... You are better off though cutting the wire then rejoining it, otherwise you can not get heat shrink tubing over it, or, as suggested before, just solder the BEC's wires directly to the ESC itself (where the wires from the EC3 connect to it).

Cheers, Dave.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it!
Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post

That's an interesting canopy mount. What's up??

widower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I am also glad to notice that I am not the only one to get the battery up against the motor case, I thought I was the only persom who had done that. Thanks for all the help I am going to do it today or tomorrow, I have 1200 barrels to load onto trucks today, hopefully it wont take all day, I am going to be setting in a Bobcat until I get it done
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindling Maker View Post
I am also glad to notice that I am not the only one to get the battery up against the motor case, I thought I was the only persom who had done that. Thanks for all the help I am going to do it today or tomorrow, I have 1200 barrels to load onto trucks today, hopefully it wont take all day, I am going to be setting in a Bobcat until I get it done

So far from local pilots the ONLY clean motor I've seen was Eugene's, we all have been there except him so he is OUT of the club
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD View Post
So far from local pilots the ONLY clean motor I've seen was Eugene's, we all have been there except him so he is OUT of the club
Still here Lock and she is still clean.....how can I join your club? Still trying to go circuits but the wind is crazy strong last few days, think its 15gust. I will try again tomorrow morning.
Here's what I'm going to do, pray over her for a few seconds then hover then hit the idle-up then let her rip then land her then pray again finally smoke my victory cigar.
eugenefelisco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by widower View Post
That's an interesting canopy mount. What's up??
Just a bit of heat shrink tuning over the rod pushed up against the frame to stop it moving. Also acts as a stopper to stop the canopy sliding on to far.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well I am started and have already cut my fingers twice trying to get the connectors for the battery off so that I can put my Deans connectors on. Also is there a common way to do the deans connectors such as the Positive goes to a certin prong or is it just how we want to do it.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ok that was a stupid question, about the deans connectors, they are labeled, DUH DUH DUH. Now I have a Sport BEC from Demension engineering. It says to go from the ESC to the BEC and there is supposed to be a connector on it. and to the reciever, which channel did you hook it up to???? Which set of pins coming from the back I am having hell. Is the throttle servo on channel 2 or 3 I cant tell and it is not in the manual that I can find. Thanks for the help guys, One of these days i will get it going
Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindling Maker View Post
Ok that was a stupid question, about the deans connectors, they are labeled, DUH DUH DUH. Now I have a Sport BEC from Demension engineering. It says to go from the ESC to the BEC and there is supposed to be a connector on it. and to the reciever, which channel did you hook it up to???? Which set of pins coming from the back I am having hell. Is the throttle servo on channel 2 or 3 I cant tell and it is not in the manual that I can find. Thanks for the help guys, One of these days i will get it going

the throttle channel is labled just unplug your esc from the throttle channel, plug it into the bec and then plug the bec into the throttle channel.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Cool I will be flying this afternoon as soon as I get a bat charged. Thanks alot, I am going to do a GOOD preflight on it and throw some air under the rotors and see how she does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in