Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay! My aluminum tail servo mount arrived, and that has eliminated the screw-dragging-on-the-underside-of-the-chassis problem. 'Twas not even that expensive, either!

I discovered a 4mm length of exposed servo wire from where it had been chafing on the frame, so I ended up re-routing all of the wires and shielding those areas where they cross/penetrate the framing members.

I ordered a pack of aluminum hex spacers (H60032) to replace the plastic ones that are stripped...but that is not the right p/n for my rig. The H60032 are 42mm long and I need 47mm. (The H60032 p/n was provided by the vendor; not my error)

I also ordered the canopy spacers...which come with two aluminum rods. Those are 54mm!! So I can't use them, either - but I was able to install the rubber knobbies, so I guess that's alright.

I'd still like to learn the answer to the f. shaft question [without tearing the head apart again] but otherwise I'm down to two relatively simple issues:

Do I need to program the ESC before I try to lift off? or are the factory defaults satisfactory? (Limited, docile flying in store for awhile!)

When my Sportbec arrives, should I install it immediately (before maiden-ing) or get some flying under my belt before worrying about it?

Still having fun!
Ron~FordTech is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron~FordTech View Post
I ordered a pack of aluminum hex spacers (H60032) to replace the plastic ones that are stripped...but that is not the right p/n for my rig. The H60032 are 42mm long and I need 47mm. (The H60032 p/n was provided by the vendor; not my error)
That's the part number I used - not sure why you think it's not right - they aren't meant to touch both side frames.
1 x Align Aluminum Hexagonal Bolt H60032 - Trex 600 (H60032) = $7.99

The stock plastic ones are 42.7mm, and the H60032's are 42mm
Quote:

Do I need to program the ESC before I try to lift off? or are the factory defaults satisfactory? (Limited, docile flying in store for awhile!)
If you know the settings of the ESC by listening to the boot up pulses, then no need to program the ESC before the flight.
Quote:
When my Sportbec arrives, should I install it immediately (before maiden-ing) or get some flying under my belt before worrying about it?
Why not install it before the maiden?

Whats the rating of the Sportbec ?

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Re: spacers - very strange! My front-most spacer - into which the rubber stand-offs are secured - is 47mm long. Are there *shorter* spacers in other locations within the frame?! That would explain it.

I will educate myself on the ESC pulses.

The Sportbec is 3.5A I believe. CC says good for up to 8 servos, so in non-aggressive flying with the standard 4 servos I should be good.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Beware, no way will 3.5A support those servos, I did extensive tests and managed a peak of 7A briefly, you really should not consider anything less than a CC BEC Pro, 20A rated at certain voltage, 15A if I remember correctly for 6s. Align built in are 5A but they have a little more headroom for peaks than some.
The spacers for the Tail boom do not reach the frames, they are designed to clamp the boom assy and frames in one!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the 550 club !!!
you'll love it Mine is a V1 with 3g. flys great !! Enjoy
Blade MSR
Raptorg2zman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm. Evidently I was mis-informed re: the BEC.

And the spacer issue is making me feel quite ignorant! I need to educate myself better so as not to so neatly insert my foot into my mouth!

<scuttles off to read & look more closely at heli>
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright - I get the alum spacer length issue. You explained it correctly...but it was not clear to me 'til I saw a picture. So the ones I got are right after all.

I'm still a bit mystified about the BEC power rating, though. Yeah yeah - companies exaggerate the performance/ratings of their products. I get that. But when it comes to a discreet BEC...is it a question of how much amperage the servos pull? or how much amperage the BEC can tolerate coming into it? or how much amperage the BEC delivers to the servos?

On the website, it says:

"Output current: 3.5A (~8 standard servos, 4-6 digital)"

So I am assuming it is basically a step-down transformer...that lowers the voltage from the 22.2v delivered by the LiPo to 5v or 6v...and the amperage to (in this case) 3.5A. Although it's still a bit unclear, because...

Typically, devices that run on electricity PULL amperage; they don't have it PUSHED into them. So I don't get how the 3.5A BEC can be insufficient for four servos.

Without falling too deeply into the electrical engineering pool...can someone please provide some support to the "3.5A-is-not-nearly-enough-for-this-application" argument?

Many thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well - it's a lovely day here on the north shore of L. Ontario, and I couldn't resist spinning up the heli for its first hover since I bought (and overhauled) it.

Went well! Extremely brief, 'cuz I was between the houses (no space) but I lifted off in STUNT1 and it seems solid and level.

I've elected to fly it at the club field a bit before installing the 10A BEC, but I anticipate no problems.

(Yeah right)

Cheers!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The BEC will brown Out under heavy load, i.e. extreme collective and cyclic moves (3D) this is due to the load being placed on the servo's. When this happens the current demand goes up and can reach close to 10amps! This is what causes a brown out and if you are flying a FBL unit you are in trouble due to a re-boot (CRASH!). When I upgraded my 550E V1 to a Vbar FS Blue line I added the CC BEC Pro to ensure I have enough overhead to handle surges. I do not do allot of 3D (if any ) but I see it as cheap insurance for an expensive model. My 450's I will take the risk with using the built in's but the 550 I will not.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well...it's not FBL, and I am gently maidening at this point. But are you saying put in the 10A BEC ASAP or are you saying I need a bigger BEC?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well...it's not FBL, and I am gently maidening at this point. But are you saying put in the 10A BEC ASAP or are you saying I need a bigger BEC?
The 10A BEC is not suitably rated for this size heli - use the CC BEC Pro 20A or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyprusFlyer View Post
Beware, no way will 3.5A support those servos, I did extensive tests and managed a peak of 7A briefly, you really should not consider anything less than a CC BEC Pro, 20A rated at certain voltage, 15A if I remember correctly for 6s. Align built in are 5A but they have a little more headroom for peaks than some.
The spacers for the Tail boom do not reach the frames, they are designed to clamp the boom assy and frames in one!

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it depends on the mfg of the BEC, as the voltage goes up the current handling goes down usually, this means the 6s and 12s systems will impact some BEC's performance.

The CC BEC Pro will lose some current handling at higher voltages and is not recommended above a 6S pack. This is why the 12S systems use taps on one 6S battery in those configurations.

the Bec Pro is supposed to handle 20a but I would not expect more than 10 to 12 on 6S with the ability to handle brief surges/spikes.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geez - I still find it incredible that the four little servos on this bird could draw upwards of TEN AMPS. That's a helluva lot of power!

The BEC I picked up is a CC. 10A/6S/25V, 4.8v -> 9V out. Keeping in mind that I am not inverting and/or doing aggressive 3D...do you gentlemen still recommend I get a higher cap BEC or will this one be alright until I start to push the heli more?

(Still running OE servos and no mods whatsoever)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Geez - I still find it incredible that the four little servos on this bird could draw upwards of TEN AMPS. That's a helluva lot of power!

The BEC I picked up is a CC. 10A/6S/25V, 4.8v -> 9V out. Keeping in mind that I am not inverting and/or doing aggressive 3D...do you gentlemen still recommend I get a higher cap BEC or will this one be alright until I start to push the heli more?

(Still running OE servos and no mods whatsoever)
You're a brave man if you go ahead and use the CC 10A BEC in spite of all the advice offered here.

From the product literature:
Quote:
Peak: 10 amps
Continuous:
12 volts input = 7 amps*
24 volts input = 5 amps* - This is the rating on the 550 using a 6S batt.
*Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC. Servo connectors are not rated for current in excess of 5 amps. Users are encouraged to replace the connectors if more than 5 amp currents are anticipated. (the BEC Pro uses two connectors)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cc_bec_user_guide.pdf (365.1 KB, 32 views)

Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Re-inventing the wheel here, yes I found it difficult to believe, if you really want to go ahead:
Power up the electronics only if you can, avoid motor spooling.
Put your hand on the swash, stir the swash and resist the movement with as much force as you dare, also do the same by violent movement of the throttle/pitch. Do for a couple of minutes to warm up the BEC.
I did this as a non believer! FBL unit crashed and reset, sat RX blinking on brownout.
Hmm not fying this configuration then!
Alun
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

In re-reading my posts, I can see how I must appear thick-headed! It was not my intention, and I apologize for sounding unreasonably skeptical. I will of course heed this advice - it is the fundamental reason why I reach out to this community in the first place.

Thank you for your ongoing patience, and most particularly for the supporting data. I have a clearer understanding now.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LOL, no problem, took me a while to get back into this after 20yrs last January! A hell of a lot to catch up on and I do hard electronics stuff etc for a living.
The best difference is forums like this, before it was a few guys in a club for advice, now we have the world!
Anyway, better to thrash it out here than comming back later uttering phrases that rhyme with "clucking bell".
Alun
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We do not want you to crash it due to a setup issue, dumb thumbs is another issue all together
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

I appreciate that sentiment! Thank you, gentlemen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in