Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Helical Pinions, Something to Watch

I've been running the 188/11T helical pinion setup for a while now and decided it was time for just a little more. I've fitted a 12T helical pinion today and noticed that the 11T pinion had slipped down the motor shaft until the grub screw reached the bottom of the flat in the shaft, obviously due to the additional vertical loading with the helical pinions, as a result the pinion was only about 3/4 mesh with the main gear. I'd loctited the grib screw originally and it was still tight but this time I've put a small amount of loctite on the shaft itself and I'll keep an eye on it.

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect upon the life of the motors bearings too.

Trex 600N Sport, 700N , Trex 250, Beam E4, Trex 550E, Raptor E550, Mikado Logo 500 3D, now a happy user of Futaba 10CG
stevehonn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Wierd. I have been running the 12 and noticed that I had to place it AT the bottom of the flat spot in the motor shaft already. Obviously there are some machining differences from motor to motor.....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did either of you have problems with the one way bearings going bad ?

I used green locktight to hold the pinion in place, but this caused the gear to be push up slightly under high speed on one side and prematurly wreck the bearing.
big willie style is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have problems keeping the 11t helical "up" as well. As soon as the power gets high the pinion slides down. I am interested to hear if the locktight holds.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same problem. I used a dremel and cut the set screw flat so it seats flat on the motor shaft this also gave it about 1 more thread to bite on the pinon also. I have not had any more problems so far that was about 8 flights ago.
skew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 03:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am interested to hear if the locktight holds.
I always put a tiny drop of blue loctite (#242) on the motor shaft when I mount my pinions, this works very well! Only problem is taking them of, I really need to heat the pinion up a bit to get the loctite to release..

Cheers,

Richard
Raptor Rulezzz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Good idea skew.

I use green locktite on my pinions, and as Richard, I have to use a little heat to get them off.

Do you need green on the T-REX pinions, maybe not, but you do on the Ion-X and I am a creature of habit.
WillJames is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Will as I recall you pinion also sat on the bottom of the motor shaft flat spot?

I am wondering if some of you have your motor mount plate upside down?
Fins on the plate up or down?

The manual has a mistake on one page. One page shows the fins up and one page shows them down. They should be DOWN.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The mounting plate is the right way up. After 3 flights this weekend the pinion is still where I put it and the step up a tooth makes a real difference to the feel of the heli, I'm happy now

Trex 600N Sport, 700N , Trex 250, Beam E4, Trex 550E, Raptor E550, Mikado Logo 500 3D, now a happy user of Futaba 10CG
stevehonn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

You are correct Bob, the pinion is all the way down to the bottom of the flat spot.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My motor mount is the right way also. But the set screw has to be at the top of the flat spot for the pinion and main gear for be flush with each other on mine.
skew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone also notice play in the motor shaft due to the helical pinion? I've been running the 11T helical and my Align 600L motor failed yesturday (starting making a loud grinding noise and caused the ESC to go into shutdown). I noticed the shaft of the motor had about 1/8" of vertical play, which may be caused by the continual downward force on the shaft from the helical gear. Anyone else notice this?
KDE Direct is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine also has about 1mm of vertical play, but I have never used the helical pinions (yet). I think this is normal, it was there from the beginning I think. I remember finless saying this was normal in an earlier post.
Anyway mine has been running fine for over 100 flights now, I hope it holds out until the XL is available...
skywalkertje is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in