Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support > Bantam

Bantam Bantam e-Station Charger Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile My BC6 finally needed a fix

Hi folks:
This is the first post for me here. I thought I would share with you some of my experience with my Bantam BC-6.
I have owned it since 03/25/2008 and it has worked flawlessly up until about two weeks ago. I noticed it wouldn't discharge or cycle any of my 4.8V flight packs. And balancing my 2200mAH 3S batteries would be on there all day.....nothing. A schematic would have been helpful.....but chargers fall into the same category as all this RC stuff.....nothing but user manuals are available. It's on a need-to-know basis.....and nobody but service centers need to know.....and that's the way it is.
So......since it was broke.....and it belongs to me......I'm going in there for a look. After removing all the screws and laying the charger on it's face I lifted off the bottom plate. A quick look revealed a copper trace going to what I have learned is a discharge pass element.....blown loose from the board. This is a bad sign indicating a defective component. I replaced it with a piece of wire. Then after removing the IRFZ44N enhancement mode FET....I went to Jameco to see if they had any. They had them alright.....amazing price $0.62 each. I ordered 20 of them along with some other devices. After installing it......VOILA ! my BC-6 is back doing it's good stuff. BTW.....the IRFZ44N is good for 49 Amps and will sink 110 watts !
Before all this happened.....I visited the vendor booth of RC Accessory while attending the Joe Nall Fly-In and met Evan Chapkis.....I'm looking at his calling card as I write. He had a BC-6 right there on the table. I picked it up and told him directly that "this is the best damned charger on the market" I still believe this. Maybe that's why I have his card. No charger out there has the flexibility, convenience or precision as a Bantam charger. One thing for sure.....you do get your money's worth. It's a great product.
And there's my story about my BC-6

Flash
Flash1940 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great story and I am glad that you were able to do the repair yourself!
RC Accessory is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great story, I have a BC6 but havent stressed it out yet.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice of you guys to respond to my post. Evan....I think you were the only vendor I met at Nall that wasn't taller than me....and I'm only 5'-7". Good to meet you.....and wasn't that a great fly-in???? The camping was perfect. Flying was a bit windy at times......but what is "wind" when your model is over 6 ft. in span and flies 100 mph !
I really like this forum. Lots of information here.
FYI.....A charging cable can be constructed so that your Lipo battery can be charged and balanced through only the balance connector without involving the main power leads of the battery. Sometimes this may be a handy trick.
Flash
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this is an old post but any chance you have a picture of what you did?
wannaheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Response...

I will try to help you with this.....You will need a balance connector that fits your battery. and a couple of bananna connectors for the main output jacks.....and...of course....some wire....and basic soldering skills.. I will post it here in a few days....

Alllan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in