Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default six axis gyro

http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu6000.html

This little guy is using six axis gyro: Walkera Genius CP

http://www.micro-helicopters.net/201...ro-helicopters

another mCP X competitor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19178

Any thoughts?
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally my preference is for any that will BNF with my current radios, as far as I can see that means the Blade MCPX. They all look nice and have some good features but happy to pay more for the BNF and a good product.

Cheers.

Pete
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do realise that it is not a 6 axis gyro (which doesn't make sense anyway...), but a 3-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer. From a practical standpoint, the addition of the accelerometer doesn't really do much to either stability or performance.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabidkoala View Post
Do realise that it is not a 6 axis gyro (which doesn't make sense anyway...), but a 3-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer. From a practical standpoint, the addition of the accelerometer doesn't really do much to either stability or performance.
Not sure why you say this. In the proper application, accelerometers can have a considerable effect on both stability and performance. I have 2 helis with Skookum 720s, and believe me, the 3 axis accelerometer definitely has its benefits. I'm curious if you've had any firsthand experience with 6 axis??
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The mcpx has taken off like a rocket. There are readily available parts, a ton of aftermarket replacement parts, and a ton of tried and tested hop ups that make it a beast that outperforms anything in its class.

The Genius is nice, but it's late to market. Parts exist but are expensive and have limited availability.

The verdict on the Solo Pro 100 is still out. There are *some* parts advertised, but none available. Might not be a problem in the future, but it is for now.

Here in the states (don't know about Poland) the mcpx rtf (albeit with a shit transmitter) is $169 with free shipping. That's cheaper than the solo pro shipped from HK. You can make a mcpx brushless, and it will still be cheaper than a stock Genius.

That's my take.
DudeInMyrtleBeach is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
Not sure why you say this. In the proper application, accelerometers can have a considerable effect on both stability and performance. I have 2 helis with Skookum 720s, and believe me, the 3 axis accelerometer definitely has its benefits. I'm curious if you've had any firsthand experience with 6 axis??
Unless I am mistaken, with aircraft like this what you want to control is the angular velocity. It follows that to do this, you only need a rate-gyro. Heading/Attitude holding can be done with the integration of the rate-gyro.

Accelerometers give you an estimate of formal acceleration in the body frame (including g and all the fictitious forces). This doesnt help the angular actuation at all, which is what a adept pilot would be controlling. Accelerometers do, however, allow you to estimate the spatial velocity of the aircraft which can be used for "coaxial-like" flight, but this would only be advantageous to a beginner.

Looking at the skookum 720 fbl system, it looks like it uses some very high quality components. What you may be noticing is the high-quality gyro and control algorithms they employ within the device. It is likely, if you are doing stunt flying, that you have the features that the accelerometer provides turned off.

Yes, I have experience with IMU's, but more in the context of making and doing sensor fusion with them. They tend to have really good (ish) applications in aerial robotics
Old 10-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabidkoala View Post
Unless I am mistaken, with aircraft like this what you want to control is the angular velocity. It follows that to do this, you only need a rate-gyro. Heading/Attitude holding can be done with the integration of the rate-gyro.

Accelerometers give you an estimate of formal acceleration in the body frame (including g and all the fictitious forces). This doesnt help the angular actuation at all, which is what a adept pilot would be controlling. Accelerometers do, however, allow you to estimate the spatial velocity of the aircraft which can be used for "coaxial-like" flight, but this would only be advantageous to a beginner.

Looking at the skookum 720 fbl system, it looks like it uses some very high quality components. What you may be noticing is the high-quality gyro and control algorithms they employ within the device. It is likely, if you are doing stunt flying, that you have the features that the accelerometer provides turned off.

Yes, I have experience with IMU's, but more in the context of making and doing sensor fusion with them. They tend to have really good (ish) applications in aerial robotics
I agree with you on all counts. However, no one ever accused me of being an adept pilot, so for the time being, the bailout feature of the SK720 is a great thing for me while I'm working on my ccpm skills and progressing into the rudiments of 3d flying.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
I agree with you on all counts. However, no one ever accused me of being an adept pilot, so for the time being, the bailout feature of the SK720 is a great thing for me while I'm working on my ccpm skills and progressing into the rudiments of 3d flying.
Oh well in that case, happy flying
Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes genius is late and brushed. i like [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpgT0u80TEY[/ame]

but i wait for users review of crashability of tail. if is good, will be a nice hely and i will buy my first walkera.
firedragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Man, that is beautiful. Sometimes I wish I didn't have $1,000 in spektrum radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedragon View Post
yes genius is late and brushed. i like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpgT0u80TEY

but i wait for users review of crashability of tail. if is good, will be a nice hely and i will buy my first walkera.
DudeInMyrtleBeach is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

After two years of very expensive flying walkera helis similar to the one in the video I had spent easily $2000 in buying the helis and keeping them flying.

They never flew well and did not crash well at all. I could only barely hold an inverted hover after finding a large space to flip over in. The shaft driven tail is awful as is the tail servo.

I have several Trex 600 helis so I knew how to set things up right and i had wanted the small heli to practice with close to my house.

I bought an mcpx and have never looked back.

My own opinion is that Walkera should be avoided the quality is not there and the parts always need to be ordered online.

With the BL mod and a 120 tail motor the mcpx is ballistic and fully 3D capable.

This is just my opinion, but if you want to save a lot of $$ and actually spend your time flying and improving stay with the mcpx
GB ian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in