Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-Rex 600 Nitro or Electric ?

Hey guys .
I was thinking of getting a T-rex 600 , but I really don't know which to go for , nitro or electric ? What do you guys think ?

And I've also never built one before , do you think i will be able to build it , following the manual and some building videos online ?
xzodiackxs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Depends upon the type of power you want. Nitros are loud and messy, but give longer flight times and quicker to get back into the air.......just refuel and fly. Engines have to be tuned properly, so some time is spent doing that.

Electrics and quieter and clean. However, batteries for a 12S setup aren't cheap. ESCs aren't cheap either. You'll need to have charging equipment and power supplies that are up to the task.

I've flown nitro for the last three years. I like electrics, but can't afford a large one right now. The smaller electrics are very convenient and fun.

This is mostly a matter of preference and it depends upon the experience you're after. In the end, you're going to spend around the same amount of money.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Trex 600 nitro or electric

Hey Bob , thanks for the reply . Since you have a 600N , I've been wondering is there a difference between the T-rex 600 Limited edition v2 and the Pro super combo ? Asfar as frames , rotor heads etc , all those metal parts etc ?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have friends who fly both.
I fly strictly electric and have paid a fairly high price to buy in, with all the charging equipment, batteries, etc. Overall, I have calculated that the cost-per-flight or cost-per-minute is actually lower for an electric if you spend wisely and take care of your equipment. But mostly I like the clean, quiet and reliable power.
Bob is right, there are a few things about nitro that are nice - flight times, lower up-front cost. And don't forget the very cool trail of smoke, which you don't get with an electric. The down side is mess, noise and tuning headaches.
I see my nitro friends spend a lot of time twiddling with mixtures, burned plugs, starters and fuel problems. I just fly....
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Cheetah . Was the build easy and smooth , or did it take numerous hours of build and frustration ?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 600e is a very fast building heli, the 600n takes more time to build.

On the 600e, you can run the gov with lower head speed, decrease collective and cyclic pitch and it is a very friendly heli or crank it up and it is an animal!

I have both and prefer the electric for being less of a hassle.

With either one, you need all the support equipment, so make sure you add that into your budget.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sorry, I haven't kept up with the T-Rex model line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzodiackxs View Post
Hey Bob , thanks for the reply . Since you have a 600N , I've been wondering is there a difference between the T-rex 600 Limited edition v2 and the Pro super combo ? Asfar as frames , rotor heads etc , all those metal parts etc ?
Sent from my HTC Incredible
Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a difference in controlling a trex 600n and e ? Or is it pretty much the same thing ?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Control on any collective heli is similar.
Electrics have more power and don't require tuning like nitros do.
The added power makes them capable of being more agile.
A 600 is a rather large powerful heli.

You say that you have not built a heli before, what do you have experience flying?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Is there a difference in controlling a trex 600n and e ? Or is it pretty much the same thing ?
Same setup, same controls. The only difference is the power source.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you consider a T-Rex 600 Gasser? Cleaner, longer flight times, 1/10 of fuel costs.
If you fly a lot you pay the Heli in a short time only in fuel savings
Check this out: www.helibug.com
reimorei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Basically I would say Im in the beginner/Intermediate phase . I have this shitty Esky CPX with crap electronics . And so i decided to buy a larger more stable heli to continue my training journey on . I would say I'm better off with the electric version ha ? What do you guys think ?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree since you have some experience. Set your cyclic and collective to mild settings until you get use to it. A great combo is the 600e with the spectrum/ beastx fbl unit.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im kinda skeptical about Flybarless
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Im kinda skeptical about Flybarless
Why?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah why?
The right unit is easier to set up than FB and way more stable.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Basically I would say Im in the beginner/Intermediate phase . I have this shitty Esky CPX with crap electronics . And so i decided to buy a larger more stable heli to continue my training journey on . I would say I'm better off with the electric version ha ? What do you guys think ?
I have a Belt CPX. It's not the best trainer, and I think it lengthened my learning curve a bit, but once I got a good quality helicopter, like the Align 600EFL, I found it was so much easier to fly around, and much, much easier to flip over and fly inverted, especially with the flybarless version.

As for electric and nitro, I prefer the electric, although you can get more training time in with the nitro. I love the sound and power that these modern electrics have, and the length/quantity of flight that nitro can give you. You can get some pretty powerful nitro helis, but overall, electric is the way to go if you do it right. Of course, batteries will cost you, like mentioned earlier, but that's just a trade-off by going electric. Electric is also cleaner, and easier to maintain than nitro.

Whatever you decide, you'll be happy with a large bird. It's much more stable than any of the ESky helicopters. The new TRex 600EFL is a very nice, stable machine that can be tuned down to suit the learner well, or cranked up to give the most hardcore 3D performance to the experienced pilot. It's overall a great bird that goes well with pretty much anyone. It's intimidating at first, but the ease-of-flight eventually shows its head and you loosen up a bit. Just don't loosen up too much, because the crash costs are much, much more than that of a Belt CPX
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nitro is not the KING of power anymore.
I love nitro..... but LiPo's have changed everything. Right now e-heli's have got the power over the nitro.

BUT ! after your Nitro heli is tuned and ready..... You'll be flyen while there charging.
MrHeliNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeliNewbie View Post
Nitro is not the KING of power anymore.
I love nitro..... but LiPo's have changed everything. Right now e-heli's have got the power over the nitro.

BUT ! after your Nitro heli is tuned and ready..... You'll be flyen while there charging.
I'm considering a nitro just because of flight times. I would be able to get more training/practice time in with it. I would love have twins of the 600efl, only one being nitro. The nitro version looks a lot different, though, but I'm sure it can be converted to look very similar with the pro canopy and all that jazz. The new pro lineup from align is a sexy one for sure
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hear ya.
I spent some time tuning up the Nitro's over the weekend ! Cleaning them up from setting, removing the after run, changed out the glow plugs, flushed the lines and tank, fueled and tuned.

CAN YOU SAY I'M READY !
MrHeliNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in