Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Gohbee

Gohbee Gohbee Stinger and Phazor 30 50 60 90 Helicopters Support Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default High winds vs. Stinger .50

The Stinger wins !
Yea... I needed a nitro fix today, I debated on a fly, or no fly day.
I elected to go for it. I own a wind speed indicator & the readings were as follows : Steady 7 to10 mph with gust recorded up to 25 mph.

I'll admit, my hands was full & I found it very challenging but the Stinger .50 allowed me two flights with no mis-haps.
I kept the maneuvers fairly simple with only big loops & rolls.
I wished you guys could of been with me so you could of witnessed how freaking fast the Stinger's speed was with a tail wind. It freaked me out... Man, that model was covering a lot of ground quick !

When I turned into the wind... at times, it seemed to take forever to return, I gave it all it had ! My point is, these models fly good.
I don't think I'd have much fun with wind conditions any higher but today was a challenge I wanted to take.

aerosmith is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have flown my S50 in 35 gusting to 50+ and it handled it fine.

The wind here rarely gets below 10-15mph. I guess it is all in what you are used to.

Try a full power dive into a downwind pass with a 50mph tail wind, That's a riot.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

*Try a full power dive into a downwind pass with a 50mph tail wind, That's a riot. *

Not me Jeff, I'll be inside doing maintenance on my helis. ha ha ha
Like you said though...it's all in what your use to.

aerosmith is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

glad to hear the flight went to plan for ya ......!
kiwibob72 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The point was that the heli can handle it.
50 mph wind is about the max that the Stinger 50 can handle and be able to land safely.

Any more than that and the disk angle in a hover, to compensate for the wind, will put the tips of the rotor below the skids. NOT my favorite way to land. It can be done in more wind but it is not easy to get it on the ground in one piece and it then helps to have a plan before the time comes.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think that I can stand up in a 50 mph wind! I tried to fly my 450 in 25+ mph wind last week and that was exciting enough!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just tried it on a simulator and the heli blew away into the trees. 50mph is like flying a brick.
rhorlacher is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking of limitations due to wind and landing angle (and blade hitting ground) ......... build a HUGE steep mound of dirt, and land on the face of the mound that is exposed to the wind .... kinda back it in ...... then you aim fo 60mph!! LOL
kiwibob72 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually what I had to do to land was to get some forward ground speed dead straight into the wind and then level it out just before touchdown and let the wind stop the forward progress just as it touches down, and then pin it to the ground with negative so that the wind can not pick it back up while it spools down.

Another reason to have full negative available in normal mode and hold.

I was struggling to stay standing with the 50 mph wind, I dont know if I, meaning my body, can handle 60mph.

ps. the 50+mph wind that I "flew" in was not on purpose. When I lifted off it was dead calm and during the flight a big storm front came through. I had to figure out the landing while flying. Ya I know, I should have already been packed up and out of there, but really wanted to get in one more flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in