Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What the...Nose Drops if FFF???

Maidened my 450 pro and ran into a problem I've never seen before? I used a swash plate leveler and corrected for CCPM interactions during the build (I thought). Due to my ESC and AR9000 being mounted outside and towards the back, it was tail heavy. I figured this would be the case, so no problem, I'll correct the setup to get the correct CG.

The surprising issue to me was that during FFF the heli progressively drops its nose and I have to give significant elevator to correct as the speed increases. I figured being tail heavy this would be the opposite? The only tendencies during hover are for the heli to creep straight backwards. Any chance the shape of the canopy has an effect at high speed? I had a 450v2 and 500esp before and never had the issue. Tonight I'll recheck pitch, swashplate, interactions and correct the CG. By the way, what a great flying heli, although my 25c flightmax batteries seem way underpowered now.

Any help diagnosing this is appreciated!
WREX450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

fwiw..
Be sure the paddles are correctly aligned...Yes, the horzontal fin/canopy definitely have an aerodynamic effect....
forward flight in a heli involves a lot of changing dynamics with speed...If you can, get a more experienced pilot to fly it..what you are seing may be normal for the fins/canopy/paddles you have on your heli...One possible fix would be heavier paddles/flybar weights, but that will come as a loss of cyclic snap.
Let us know how you do...

John.
bmlasater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I checked and the swash was slightly out of spec, but nothing extreme. Paddles are good too. Stupid question, but your setting the CG right on the flybar right? I just pick it up by the flybar and watch the skids as I rest it on the table. I check front to back and side to side. If its hitting the rear part of the skid, I would be tail heavy right? Just double checking Im not missing something obvious here.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location
Exclamation Wow.

I will be interested to hear how this turns out. The little bit I know about helicopter aerodynamics tells me that this is impossible.

I'm not doubting what you report, I am just very interested to hear what the cause turns out to be.
Jon Bennett (AMA #836296)
T-Rex 450S CF: HKII 2221-8, BL35G, GY520, HS65MGs, R617FS, Futaba 7CH (2.4)
Align Metal Head/Tail, Align 325 woodies, 1191s K&Bs, S9257
Planks: US Aircore Trainer 40, Acromaster, Tiger 2 Kit, RealFlight G5
jondbennett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always watch newly setup helis for rise or drop in FFF and trim it out.. only takes a click or two.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

could it be the swashplate not travelling level throughout the travel. I've had similar happen on my King2 once upon a time.

--N
HeliKopter noob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd take a closer look to make sure the paddles are level. This is what comes to my mind as well. If the paddles are not level then during fast forward the wind coming accross might be pushing on it and inducing cyclic input when you don't want it. Paddles are the usual culprit in pitchy flight.

Also remember to check CG with canopy on.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

my SE does that if I go fast enough.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok when it rains it pours... Went to spool it up and the motor won't spin at all???!! I have it set on slow start, all stock set up with the 450m. I pulled the motor and it is very difficult to turn with the power on or off. I can manually get it to turn, but with moderate resistance. The motor tries to start but will make a 1/4 revolution before hitting resistance and stopping. I fiddled with it for a while and once it gets a few rpms, it appears to lose the resistance and run just fine. It does this in or out of the heli. Only problem as soon as i stop it, the resistance re-appears??? Nothing has fallen it, nor have any of my DX7 settings changed. Anyone know how to open the motor, I can't find any screws. Ran fine all day yesterday, came down cool to the touch and never been wrecked. I need a beer..

Last edited by WREX450; 12-31-2009 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Add details...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

make sure u dont have a screw stuck in one of the motor vents
finfan882002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

redo ur esc settings
finfan882002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

pitch up or down in FF can definitely be caused by "collective" pitch built into the paddles. What I mean is, with the flybar level and the swash level, the paddles both have a bit of up/down pitch. You can see it by looking end on and comparing the paddles to the flybar cage.

In hover, it wont have any effect. But in FF, if the paddles are pitched up, then the advancing paddle will lift more than the retreating paddle. Dissymmetry of lift due to the FF airflow. Precession causes the flybar "disc" to respond by lifting up in the front. which in turn causes pitch up of the main rotor. If the paddles are pitched down... the opposite happens, and the main rotor will pitch down.
Trex 450 Vx FBL, Scorpion 2221-10, RJX head, mini-V, Ice 50
markb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got my replacement motor installed and it must have been the flybar paddle. The swash was only slightly out of spec, but one flybar paddle had definitely moved. Corrected it and all is well, THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in