Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brushless Options for Blade Nano CPX

The other day, someone asked for a summary of the brushless motor options for the Nano CPX. So I went ahead and compiled a list. PM me if I need to update this in the future.

Horizon Hobby/Factory Brushless Kit: $50 (MSRP) BLH3325. No frame mods, Adds 2.5g, similar power (some say lower, some say a little more). Comes with 1yr warranty from HH - no more dead brushed motors! Quote from Dylwad (who generally knows what he's talking about) "Its a good upgrade if you want simple and cheap, the motors have to last longer than the brushed, but I don't see any real gain in performance against a good brushed motor, just lower flight times."
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/BLH3325

Astroid Designs Mild/Wild: $64. Frame mods are required. Servo spacers are required. Soldering is required. Removes about 0.5g from the heli (both mild&wild). For Mild, power is about the same or a little more than stock brushed motor. For Wild, power is WAY more than stock/HH BL kit/Mild kit. If you are afraid of the soldering and frame mods, you can contact NCcraig and he can do them for you.

Mild kit is 13500kv: http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...-brushless-kit
Wild kit is 16500kv: http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...-brushless-kit

PJACQ Mild/Wild (topcopter): site is down at the moment... Don't know what that means Cost: $?? (Price was similar to AD). There are less frame mods to do compared to the AD kits, but still some frame mods. Some soldering is required, but I have heard not quite as much as the AD kit (for example, I heard the motor comes pre-soldered to the ESC). Don't know exactly the weight gain/loss, but it's probably very similar to the AD kit (same principle of operation) - so think: same or slightly less than stock weight heli. His website (topcopter.com) appears to be down right now, but if you want a kit, i guess you could PM him on helifreaks @ PJACQ.

Here is a link to people implementing and showing off the PJACQ kit.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread....ighlight=pjacq

Some other forms of aftermarket Brushless Plug-N-Play kits:
Cost: as low as $42. However, the aftermarket PNP kits add weight. Also, i notice the PNP kits tend to use 7Amp or 10Amp ESC's. Everything I have read and experienced says that the XP3A ESC is enough for even the Wild kits, so those bigger ESCs are just adding weight. Another downside is the uneven center of gravity since these BL motors have to be added outside/side of the frame. (see attached picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nano CPX brushless PNP.JPG
Views:	2475
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	482608  
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only 2 I would recommend is the AD & pjacq

The pjacq is like 0.2g heavier. But the frame mod is easier and can be moved to the next frame no problem after the canopy pins are all snapped. The esc and motors are the same.

Xtreme do a good motor but until they bring out their own frame sometime in spring the mounting option sucks and makes it heavy. Also the pnp 10A esc they recommend for it is way to big for the nano and the xp3A is the better option for that motor as well.

Last edited by Bhujang; 01-28-2014 at 03:07 PM..
Bhujang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got an inrunner to test against my hp03. I'll be running it on the xp3a soldered signal wire etc etc.

Curious to see what the hybrid kit does. Comparing the kit to kit means nothing. Try comparing the motors and just assume you'll use the xp3a for all.

I got the in runner as a backup since hp03 pinions and shafts can be hard to find at times and I don't hoard motors lol. Have yet to kill the hp03 I started with on a 1mm pinion.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are there any BL kits (either PNP or solder) that use the stock sized motor (like the HH kit) so as to not throw off the CG?

Or, at that point, should you just get the HH kit...

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Brushless Options for Blade Nano CPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhujang View Post
The only 2 I would recommend is the AD & pjacq

The pjacq is like 0.2g heavier. But the frame mode is easier and can be moved to the next frame no problem after the canopy pins are all snapped. The esc and motors are the same.

Xtreme do a good motor but until they bring out their own frame sometime in spring the mounting option sucks and makes it heavy. Also the pnp 10A esc they recommend for it is way to big for the nano and the xp3A is the better option for that motor as well.
The motors are not the same, mine are almost .5 grams lighter
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Are there any BL kits (either PNP or solder) that use the stock sized motor (like the HH kit) so as to not throw off the CG?

Or, at that point, should you just get the HH kit...
I do not know of any BL "inrunners" other than the one in the HH BL kit. There are some that talk about running the HH inrunner using the XP3A ESC. That might be what you are looking for. The XP3A has the benefit of a governor when flashed with BLHELI. Soldering would be required to use the XP3A in this configuration.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
The motors are not the same, mine are almost .5 grams lighter
I stand corrected... Looks and performance can be deceptive. I never did weigh either. But both perform really well.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The AD kit from Dylan is very nice. Take your time reading up on how to work it as far as radio setup and arming it, but once you have that down it's really nice. It takes a few frame mods but isn't too difficult as long as your patient.

Now I just need to get the BL tail kit.
seth556 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I stand corrected... Looks and performance can be deceptive. I never did weigh either. But both perform really well.
I have to do extra work on them to get them that light The guts are the same though
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have to do extra work on them to get them that light The guts are the same though
Well the last wild motor I got from you is amazing! When do we see V2?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well the last wild motor I got from you is amazing! When do we see V2?
Need to send some out for testing first, before stocking them... Interested?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Need to send some out for testing first, before stocking them... Interested?
Sure thing! I got an xp3A all ready for one
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to order a mild BL kit from AD. A couple of questions.

What would be the ideal stock size battery for this BL kit?

Also, any other proven BL main frame options out there?

I don't really want to carbon/CNC bling the Nano. I'm just curious if there's any BL friendly main frames out there in case I need to replace the stock frame. One of the comments I get from here is that the AD BL kit requires a fair amount of modification to the main frame.

Topcopter website is dead for a while now. So that BL kit is not available.

Thanks guys.
roubaix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I highly recommend the Oversky 200mah batteries with the mild BL kit. I ran the 150mah eflite 35C batteries for a while. They were really good. I would assume the 45C eflite are even better.
I can't make any recommendations on other main frames, as i have only used the stock frame modified with the spacers and stiffeners from AD (and I ran PJACQ's kit for a while too). What i do now is... I have a few of the carbon fiber stiffener parts "sets" from AD, and when i break a frame beyond repair, i put it in a bin and wait until i've basically killed all my frames. THen i get new frames from HH and modify 3 frames at the same time. I've found it saves a lot of time to modify the frames simultaneously, then when i actually need to change frames, I have a few waiting for me, and the changeover is as simple as changing the original stock brushed motor.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a frame made by yannick now too that looks promising if not a bit expensive...

It's BL ready and only weighs a bit more than the stock frame... The pins are reinforced too but the price puts me off...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I went to the LHS the other day to pick up a HH brushless kit, and the guy didn't stock them (anymore). He said he initially got 8 or them, and it took 4 of them to piece one together to work, then they burned the board on their shop heli on another one. Needless to say, he's not going to stock them anymore.

Has anyone else had this experience with the HH kit? From what I've been reading here, they seem to be fairly reliable without "major" issues, but they are blade, after all...

My stock motor is starting to go bad, and was looking for an excuse to "upgrade". I don't do soldering (at least that small), so solder kits are out for me, and I don't really care about power, as I don't do hard 3D. I just want something that's more reliable. I was 100% set on the HH kit until the LHS steered me away from them.

Can anyone steer me back? Or should I just order a couple more stock motors?

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

well,, i just installed the Horizon brushless kit on my Nano,, the best 40 bucks i spent,,it has more power then every stock motor i have used,, which is about 6 of them,,,i use e-flite 150mah 45c batteries,,and this thing is perfect!!!!! this thing flys awesome!!! but,,if u want it to be crazy,,this isnt for u,,if i want crazy i will go to my Mcpx Bl or my converted Brushless Mcpx V2
elmobster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131 View Post
T

Some other forms of aftermarket Brushless Plug-N-Play kits:
Cost: as low as $42. However, the aftermarket PNP kits add weight. Also, i notice the PNP kits tend to use 7Amp or 10Amp ESC's. Everything I have read and experienced says that the XP3A ESC is enough for even the Wild kits, so those bigger ESCs are just adding weight. Another downside is the uneven center of gravity since these BL motors have to be added outside/side of the frame. (see attached picture)
This may be a stupid question, but I don't get how the Xtreme Motor (in your picture) spins the gear, there is no pinion...
heli_shmeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_shmeli View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I don't get how the Xtreme Motor (in your picture) spins the gear, there is no pinion...
Haha, I hadn’t noticed that, but yes, you are right. There is no pinion in that picture, so obviously it can’t spin the gear. Perhaps that ebay seller (where I got the picture) did not include a pinion with the purchase. Of course you would need a pinion and the user would have to add that himself.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought it was on of those new "Invisipinions" that have just come out and everyone is raving about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in