Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vertical play in main shaft? (Super CP)

Hi folks, I have a Super CP (which I believe shares the majority of parts with the Genius CP). From time to time this helicopter starts climbing out of control and I'm trying to track down why.

I've noticed about 1mm of vertical play in the main shaft, which can obviously affect the blade angle. Is this normal, and is it something that can be adjusted?

Looking at the heli myself I can see a small collar attached to the shaft, but from pictures online I think this locks into a fixed notch in the shaft. I'm also wondering if the main gear can be removed or re-seated easily, but from my gentle prodding it appears to be pretty firmly attached.

Thanks,

Myx
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a super, but on the Genius, you can loosen the screw and lower the collar.

Other things to check...

- Make sure the main gear is pressed on tightly so that the main shaft is flush with the bottom of the gear
- I had a notchy servo also create undesired climbing. Make sure they are all smooth.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
I don't have a super, but on the Genius, you can loosen the screw and lower the collar.

Other things to check...

- Make sure the main gear is pressed on tightly so that the main shaft is flush with the bottom of the gear
- I had a notchy servo also create undesired climbing. Make sure they are all smooth.
agreed..... that shaft collar or your main gear slipping down are the most likely culprits!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The main gear often moves down the main shaft on a crash. Easy to restore proper position by pinching with your thumb and index finger on the bottom of the main gear and the head button.

Main gear seems firmly attached, but it's just a friction press on to the main shaft.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Genius CP Mainshaft Endplay (1 min 43 sec)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks guys. I think I actually have two problems lol. The main gear had popped off a little so I've tightened that up, but as that video says the main effect of that should have been a lack of lift (which I did find occasionally).

After checking I've also got one servo which feels completely different to the others, and which has gotten stuck in the past, so I think I've most likely got a servo fault too.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

definitely change out that servo then dude.... last think you want is it messing you up mid flight... better to be safe than sorry.... it is always possible that you might be able to do the whole "turning the gears past the broken teeth" thing, some gears in the servo only need about 50% travel.... i've had some luck doing this, but only limited... they tend not to last too long after... but worth a try.. if it doesn't work... change it out.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,

Firstly, thanks for the heads up on the servos, I'll get that changed and I've read up on the servo saver mod so I think I'll buy some spare servo arms and get started on that too.

However I've just managed to get my first stable inverted hover outside, and within 20-30 seconds, I had the same behavior as before, with the helicopter stuck in a climb... but inverted o_0.

Now I'm a beginner at this, but that doesn't sound like something physical any more. Could that be either a problem with the receiver, or with the helicopter losing signal and sticking with whatever it was told to do last? My only doubt with that thought is that throttle hold works instantly, cutting the throttle to zero, and that's how I've been recovering without losing this little copter.

If the battery is running low on voltage, and you're drawing load on the main motor to climb, can that cause you to lose control of the servos? If so, how on earth would that happen a minute into the flight?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

a servo sticking could cause this behavior.... both upright and inverted. and yes... throttle hold is your friend!! it'll save you heaps of damage if you can get to it before you crash!! change that sticky servo out, and i have a strong feeling your problem will go away..... let us know how it goes... oh and congrats on the first stable hover!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the servo, it's the servo, 1000 times it's the servo. If you unplug the battery & move the servos slowly by hand, they should move smoothly with no binding or funny noises. ANY servo that isn't silky smooth is a candidate for replacement; these helis work a servo to death even when you aren't beating them up crashing.

Ask me how I know.

mnem
I know that $15 hurts. I've felt the pain many times myself.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The weird thing is, the servo I suspect is unbelievably smooth. I can move it about silently, there's no resistance at all, and no sound of internal gears moving. I'd have thought it was completely broken except it still flies fine.

Will get some spares on order though.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ummm... "No sound of gears moving at all" IS A FUNNY NOISE...

... at least for a servo. It means there are no teeth left on part of a gear, or a gear has broken off the shaft.

Replace it. Or replace them all with the HK 5330; you need to reverse them internally (soldering wires) but they're only $3 each.

mnem
He did it.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post

mnem
He did it.
+1 to what he said!! if a servo moves in the woods, and there is nobody there to hear it ... the your heli has probably been eaten by a tree....... after a fly away caused by a MUNTED SERVO!!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post

... at least for a servo. It means there are no teeth left on part of a gear, or a gear has broken off the shaft.

Replace it. Or replace them all with the HK 5330; you need to reverse them internally (soldering wires) but they're only $3 each.

mnem
He did it.
I was checking out the HK 5330 servos as an option for my Super CP and noticed that they have different connectors than mine has. The Super CP seems to use 5 wire/pin connectors and the HK 5330 only have 3.
Tseeley0203 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in