Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thank You for the Incredible Help!

Dear ArchmageAU,

Your Extensive "step-by-step" instructions, guides and explanations are invaluable! I am new to RC Helis and I feel that no beginner should miss your post!

I knew that if I searched long enough somebody would have taken the time and trouble to write down the "basics" for newbies! I watched countless YouTube videos which were a big help, but there's nothing like reading it in "Black & White". I totally agree that the manual for the DX6i might as well been written in Sanskrit, if you're a beginner to RC!

Thank you, again for an awesome job! I look forward to your future threads!
HeliBaby1527
HeliBaby1527 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbies guide to the DX6i for RC helicopters

Great info, thanks for taking the time to do that !
Braddock54 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up What a Great Wealth of RC Heli Information!

Thank you so much for your incredibly thorough and painstaking work! What a wealth of detailed information to help new DX6i owners, of which I am one!

I printed out this post as well as your "From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in six months" and "Phoenix setup for the DX6i", as I had recently purchased a simulator (Version 5) as you had recommended!

I then created a notebook of RC helicopter tips and "how-tos", so I could highlight the important data and also be able to take it with me as needed.

I am really looking forward to your future posts!

All the best,

HeliBaby1527
HeliBaby1527 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work man it really helped me understand better. Specially since I'm new to the flying world
StarMaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi archmage
Great post it only took me 9 months to read it but WOW now my understands of the DX6 I is so much better and the setup for the sim is invaluable
I have 2 silly questions
1) when they setup gov mod wouldn't you just be able to work out your rpm and then set that as a percentage ( 80% 1900 rpm 90%-2000rpm etc) ????
2) I have setup dr and expo and set to Rudd switch and I have set stunt mode but how do I activate the stunt mode , sorry read through it a couple of times but cann't get my head around that one
Thanks again for all your input it certainly is a great read
Watho
watho 46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by watho 46 View Post
Hi archmage
Great post it only took me 9 months to read it but WOW now my understands of the DX6 I is so much better and the setup for the sim is invaluable
I have 2 silly questions
1) when they setup gov mod wouldn't you just be able to work out your rpm and then set that as a percentage ( 80% 1900 rpm 90%-2000rpm etc) ????
2) I have setup dr and expo and set to Rudd switch and I have set stunt mode but how do I activate the stunt mode , sorry read through it a couple of times but cann't get my head around that one
Thanks again for all your input it certainly is a great read
Watho
1) Depends on how your gov in implemented. Gaui gov is throttle % = RPM, Castle gov has 3 set ranges that you nominate the RPM for in the ESC (40%, 70%, 100%). Best rule of thumb is work out the max RPM for your motor on 3.7V per cell and set max governed speed to be 95% of this value (so you have head room to make up differences and allow for inefficiencies).

2) If you want a set DR/expo per flight mode, make D/R&COMBI (SETUP LIST 7) setting of D/R SW: FM (the Flight Mode switch).

(Cannot test this as have sold my DX6i now. Still pretty sure this correct from the manual pages).

Glad to help others.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi archmage
Got it, finally found the Fmode switch
I mst say flying in stunt mode will take a bit of getting use to
Thanks again for your help it has been absolutely AWESOME to get my head a little more around the tx
Cheers watho
watho 46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Great info

Thank you ! As a newbie to RC helis and computerized transmitters, this post really helped clear things up.
wynnie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
1) Depends on how your gov in implemented. Gaui gov is throttle % = RPM, Castle gov has 3 set ranges that you nominate the RPM for in the ESC (40%, 70%, 100%). Best rule of thumb is work out the max RPM for your motor on 3.7V per cell and set max governed speed to be 95% of this value (so you have head room to make up differences and allow for inefficiencies).

2) If you want a set DR/expo per flight mode, make D/R&COMBI (SETUP LIST 7) setting of D/R SW: FM (the Flight Mode switch).

(Cannot test this as have sold my DX6i now. Still pretty sure this correct from the manual pages).

Glad to help others.
HI Archmage! I just finished building an Align 500DFC Pro with the Ar7200bx, I have a Castle 75a esc...all I have done so far is test hovers with it, my DR/COMBI is set at INH right now....how would I set this DX6i up now that I am up and running with it? Is idol 1 automatic for the higher setting or do I need to go in and enable it to FM and adjust my settings that way with DR/Expo....haven't even tried flicking the switch for idol 1 because I am not sure how the thing will react...LOL
As always your a great help on here to everyone!
Rodney
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #50 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
HI Archmage! I just finished building an Align 500DFC Pro with the Ar7200bx, I have a Castle 75a esc...all I have done so far is test hovers with it, my DR/COMBI is set at INH right now....how would I set this DX6i up now that I am up and running with it? Is idol 1 automatic for the higher setting or do I need to go in and enable it to FM and adjust my settings that way with DR/Expo....haven't even tried flicking the switch for idol 1 because I am not sure how the thing will react...LOL
As always your a great help on here to everyone!
Rodney
DR/COMBI is to combine DR/expo switching onto a single switch. If you add it to f.mode, then your DR&EXPO for Ail, Ele and Rud will switch between two possible values based on flight mode.

You can test this with the 500 turned off. Check the monitor page to watch what the channel are doing. In fact, when programming, you should see in DR&EXPO that changing f.mode switch will change between different values for DR&EXPO.

Best of luck, post or PM me if having further problems. Please also post successful results.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
DR/COMBI is to combine DR/expo switching onto a single switch. If you add it to f.mode, then your DR&EXPO for Ail, Ele and Rud will switch between two possible values based on flight mode.

You can test this with the 500 turned off. Check the monitor page to watch what the channel are doing. In fact, when programming, you should see in DR&EXPO that changing f.mode switch will change between different values for DR&EXPO.

Best of luck, post or PM me if having further problems. Please also post successful results.
Ok I'll fiddle with it....as always thank you!
Rodney
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered a Phoenix Sim with the DX6i. I have a ton of learning to do here.
hammer0419 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

So. Much. Info.

I bypassed the 6i and got a DX8 that just came in the mail today. Can't wait to try it on my mSR, which I've heard can be really dialed in with a programmable radio. I do have a 300X on its way too and had a question.

From reading this, it sounds like you can use idle up almost like a governor of sorts. Am I correct on this? It'll be my first CP bird, and would probably want to try running a lower head speed along with DR and expo to help tame it while I'm learning. Would there be a more preferred way? The 300X would have a YEP ESC that I believe has a governor, but just learning the tx is enough to soak in for now.
Mooncatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #54 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
So. Much. Info.

I bypassed the 6i and got a DX8 that just came in the mail today. Can't wait to try it on my mSR, which I've heard can be really dialed in with a programmable radio. I do have a 300X on its way too and had a question.

From reading this, it sounds like you can use idle up almost like a governor of sorts. Am I correct on this? It'll be my first CP bird, and would probably want to try running a lower head speed along with DR and expo to help tame it while I'm learning. Would there be a more preferred way? The 300X would have a YEP ESC that I believe has a governor, but just learning the tx is enough to soak in for now.
Yep, Idle up is like a governor (constant power except when throttle hold engaged).

Not sure if the YEP is a true governor (tries to maintain motor speed instead of just relative voltage). I run flat throttle curves (IU curves) on all my CP helis even if they do not have a governor.

For first CP bird, you denintely want to lower DR and run lower head speed. These thing can get away from you quick. One point though, if 300 CFX or 360 CFX, 450X or any other driven tail helis (where tail speed is dependent on main rotor speed), you need enough head speed for the tail to work to help maintain direction.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good, some of this is soaking in because that's what I was thinking, both about taming and not going too far with a lower speed. One more clarification request. On the mix notes for the mSR/mSRX setup, you mentioned using the rudder momentarily and adjusting until the heli doesn't travel as a way to test. By "doesn't travel," you're referring to movement along the X/Y axis and not yawing, right?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #56 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
... On the mix notes for the mSR/mSRX setup, you mentioned using the rudder momentarily and adjusting until the heli doesn't travel as a way to test. By "doesn't travel," you're referring to movement along the X/Y axis and not yawing, right?
Yes. The adjustments are to prevent "translational" (X,Y) movement while yaw (rotation) is occurring.

These adjustments are personal preference. You can always just learn to fly with it (manually adjust).
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need help

Hey bro .. I need ur help ... I bought blade 120 sr . I don't how to setup the d\expo and the pitch curve and throttle curve Plz help me with this setup for beginners .. Thanks
Onasis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 AM   #59 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onasis View Post
Hey bro .. I need ur help ... I bought blade 120 sr . I don't how to setup the d\expo and the pitch curve and throttle curve Plz help me with this setup for beginners .. Thanks
Follow the guide (post 1)

120SR does not need a pitch curve (fixed pitch heli). Throttle curve of 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 on both Norm and Stunt.

Could also use Acro mode, but please do not. You want to learn throttle hold.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would anyone here know way my elevator control will not hardly move? When I watch the monitor my elevator control barely moves the arrow at all. It does move it some but just barely. The arrow starts at about 30% and then if I move it all the way up to goes 33%. Moving the stick all the way down only moves the arrow barley. Maybe only like 2 %.

Andy ides? Do I need to take it in for service?
codyw20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in