Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tail rotor problem?

I had a crash, and had to replace the tail boom. After putting it back together, main rotor works fine, but tail wont spin. I couldnt actually find one of the two screws which hold the tail rotor in its bracket (I've ordered the part), but it seems quite solid with only one screw in there.

Is it possible it needs both screws to work? I've tried resetting several times (battery on and off etc), but the tail refuses to budge. Not sure what to do next beyond ordering a new rotor....
Morb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did the tail motor wires get cut or disconnected some how? It appears that you have to desolder and resolder the connections at the motor. Is it possible you overheated the motor and melted something internally?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

actually I didnt unsolder those wires, I just pulled off the connector (at the other end), and put it back on. But I'll check the wires are actually conducting with a multimeter.

thanks
Morb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail rotor bent shaft?

Just picked up an SR yesterday - couldn't help myself.

Anyhow, I'm not sure who is test flying these heli's at the factory, but mine has some serious wobble right out of the box!! The gyro gain was turned all the way down on the heli itself; the proportional pot was also turned all the way down. (?)

Charged up the battery and gave the SR a good once over, then slapped on the training gear for some hover-action.

As soon as I get it off the deck, the tail vibrates like crazy, the tail mototr sounds like it is "pulsing" - almost as if the tail motor shaft is bent.!!

While it was spooling down I looked at the main rotor assembly from the top/birds eye view. Looked like there was woblle there, too, as if the main shaft was bent ??

I replaced the mainshaft,(after inspection, original one isn't bent, still get a little wobble on the main rotor assembly when spooling down, though) balanced the blades - still the tail motor "pulses" and I have a wicked mechanical vibration on the tail. No tail motor shaft to replace..part of the tail motor!! Took the tail blades off and the shaft looks straight ...still, nasty tail vibrations.
Set the gain pot on heli gyro to 50%, proportional pot also at 50%.
No nose drift when I'm in a hover, just the damn tail vibration and pulsing tail motor!!!

When I have it on the deck and give it left rudder the tail rotor stops, all the vibrations go away; right rudder the tail rotor starts and the vibrations resume - so I'm sure the vibration isn't coming from the main rotor.

Anyone else have this issue and whats the fix???
Sounds like I need a new tail motor -sure hope I can talk Horizon into shipping me a new one as this one seems like it has issues right outta the box!

Other than that....I'm digging it. Much easier to hover than my B400!!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

the pulsing on the tail motor is normal on this helicopter. It does not run all the time, only when the gyro tells the motor to turn to keep the nose straight. I also have the SR, a Trex 500, a Trex 600 and a Trex 250. I got the SR to have a cheap beater for driveway fun. I noticed the wobble on the head as well. It does not appear to be the main shaft, but instead, the plastic part of the head that the feathering shaft runs thru. I suspect that it is just an off center molding. I have looked at two other SR's that have the very same issue. I have just chalked it up to the cost of the SR. One set of blades for my 600 cost almost as the entire SR, so I don't expect it to be a precision tool. It does fly, and flies better than the little MSR...with more capability. But it is still not a "no brainer" for the novice flyer.
ltalley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in