Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default 3 Batterys Tested and Evaluated

OK so I was asked to test a Kong Power battery from Readyheli and decided the best way to do this was to compare them to two other batteries with a head to head comparison.

So this is my evaluation of three batteries
Kong Power 2200
FlightPower Evo25 2170
Thunder Power Extreme V2

All three packs were brand new and got 4 break in flights followed by 15 flights each. This evaluation will show all 3 batteries on the bench with weights and then after the 15 flights each, a EagleTree recording of each battery in a straight 5 minute hover. I choose the hover test with the EagleTree over 3D flight because it gives a apples to apples reading. Not every 3D flight is identical on collective management and what the pilot may do in the flight. Thus a straight hover flight is the best way to compare performance in my opinion.

So first up is a on the bench comparison showing differences in size and weight along with how they look on the heli.
Video Link ->3 Batteries Compared on the Bench (28 Megs)

Next up is in the field showing each battery mounted with EagleTree followed by post flight resting cell voltage measurement. Then a overview and analysis of the EagleTree recordings from each battery.
Video Link ->3 Batteries Compared with EagleTree recording analysis (46 Megs)

OK so there is my first Eval after each pack got 15 flights each. I am not done with this Eval as longevity is a key factor when buying batteries! Batteries these days tend to perform pretty much the same out of the starting gate thus getting the best bang for you buck is the deciding factor. So I will continue this eval with a data recording at 50 flights on each pack, then 100. Stay tuned.

Bob

PS below are the FDR graphs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fp.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	29731   Click image for larger version

Name:	kong.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	29732   Click image for larger version

Name:	tp.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	29733   Click image for larger version

Name:	combined.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	29734   Click image for larger version

Name:	combinedv.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	29735  

Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob:

good stuff. thank you very much for your time, and effort in this bipartisan review.

like i said before, nice work.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really cool. I would have liked to also see the Air Thunder 2200 battery, preety similar to the Kong Power.

Looking forward to the 50 flight test.
hillar73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Cool comparison Bob. Looking forward to following along.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is great, so when you do your comparision at 50 flights we will be able to get a clear indication as to which one is value for money, are the warranty the same?

Any test on the 6s packs too

Thanks

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am anxious to see the tests around 75-100 flights. I keep logs with all of my lipo cycles for each battery and the majority of them started losing power or a cell started going bad around 75-100 cycles.

Thanks for the review Bob

Have you had a chance to re-test the FP pack to see if you have the same higher voltage as the first test?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

it appears that the dynamic voltage drop with the evo 25 is less than that of the other batterys flown. would you attribute that to weight? or is the internal resistance of the cells less than that of the others?
sorry if this is metioned in the videos.... i cant stream vids here at work....
BIRDBRAIN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That battery showed a higher starting voltage than the others at plugin, Bob was going to retest it. The videos explain a lot, should watch them at home if you can.

She says I don't Listen (or something like that)

Raptor 50 Titan - HS5625MG, 401/9254, TT Pro50H
e325 Mini Titan - HS65MG, HG5000/HS5083, FP 3S-2500 Evo Lite
ghtracey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have bought quite a few different brands of LiPo packs.
In the year that i have been flying. The ONLY brands out of
Align
Hextronick
Flightpower
3E
Mystery

Out of the above: Flightpower, 3E and Mystery packs
have NOT puffed at ALL, even after discharging them
until the Align 450 ESC was cutting out.
On 6S2P, 6S1P & 3S1P.

The new KONG POWER packs are
of very similar size and weight to the 3E packs.
TREX 600CF, 9255'S, GY401 9254, Fut 138 DP RX.
TREX 500CF, 4x9257 on 6 volt, GY401, 6S 2500's EVOLITE'S, 13T, 2700HS.
Antony Konnarides is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default new to bats

hey guys, first off great site here and yep here it comes, THANKS Bob for all the vids, huge help. I have my first t-rex and would like to get more batteries, currently using one thunder power 2100, 11.1v , have been looking at a site called commonsenserc.com re batteries and seems like quite a good place to research batteries and for purchasing, they have also stated that you can now charge at 2c? on all there batteries. I'm not trying to plug this site or company just trying to figure out what is the right way to go, also figure that if you aren't mentioning them on this site then there is probably a good reason for it, thanks again , Bob
bobbyboy1962 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well there are WAY to many batteries to try to evaluate them all..... I have never tired a Common Sense RC batt so I cant say either way.
This test was to look at some of the top batts most users hear about.
Understand 6 months from now all this could be obsolete as batts change over time! Heck a little over a year ago most of us were flying 15C batts!

Bob
Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

bob the commonsencerc batt that i had would puff after about 15 to 20 flights, I have had no luck with them at all, which does not mean that they can not improve thing just I have been unlucky with them.
dxtarl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default nuff said

will stick with the tp's, thanks for the input
bobbyboy1962 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great info Bob.

Im interested as the longevity

Representing:
AMain Hobbies, XNova Motors
Jason Bell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky View Post
I keep logs with all of my lipo cycles for each battery and the majority of them started losing power or a cell started going bad around 75-100 cycles.

I also keep track of my lipo flights. 3 of my FP evo20s have lost all power with only around 60-80 recharges each. They barely have enough power to hover anymore, a real shame as i was expecting 200 recharges off them. Hard to not consider nitro when i have to replace my lipos after only 6-7 months.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFG View Post
I also keep track of my lipo flights. 3 of my FP evo20s have lost all power with only around 60-80 recharges each. They barely have enough power to hover anymore, a real shame as i was expecting 200 recharges off them. Hard to not consider nitro when i have to replace my lipos after only 6-7 months.
Interesting. I got my 20C FP's around November of last year. I flew the heck out of them with easily 100+ on each pack. When the 25C's came out I got mine in June and gave away my 20C's to a friend. He is still flying them although pack 1 died a month ago or so he is still going good with the other 2. Now I will say they are no longer at the performance level I like but for him (just FF and a few loops) they are just fine.

So not sure what happened with your 20C's but that is not the norm.

Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

It' been a real downer as my flying has been improving by leaps and bounds, now with only the 2 packs I basically have to stop flying until i get the replacements (its a long way to the park for 2x 4min of flying). My first lipo is my TP 2100mah (not extreme or lite) and it must have about 150 recharges on it and its as good as my relatively new evo25 which rules out my settings or treatment. As a little shameless self promotion here i did my first 4 point tic tocs on my newly modded tail with K&B blades with radix main blades
Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah no kidding.. I got into RC Helis 2 years ago this coming Februrary.. My very first battery was a TP Prolite.. 16C's of happiness that just don't quit. Well over 300 rounds on that thing and it only died on me a few months ago after it met my new friend, Align 430XL.
arclite5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Edited as this was a mistake... Sorrt Arclite

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 11-11-2007 at 09:41 AM..
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Wow.... there goes arclite5 with another "wealth of information" post!

WTF does this mean dude? I think I know but really how about being a bit more informational about what your talking about rather than trying to send ANOTHER meaningless message?

Seesh......

Bob

First off, aren't you the guy who trash talked the hell out of me for saying the S9257 is a viable option for the T-Rex 450 tail? 'Cuz gosh, if that's the sort of "meaningless message" you're saying I'm all about posting, then wow.

Second, what the hell is your problem? My post wasn't any more or less relevant than the other guys posting about their battery experiences. If you thought my post was not concise enough for your taste, you could have privately contacted me instead of putting on this show.

Yeah I'm upset that you were so rude. So, in the spirit of things I'll clarify for my post for you since you asked nicely:

User bobbyboy1962 posted that he is using one TP 2100 Prolite (just like me), then you posted that just around a year ago we were all flying 15C packs, so I was more hyped to post my good experience with my TP 2100 Prolite.

Here's a simple version of my response so you don't have such a hard time again and lash out at me:

No kidding, my TP Prolites held up better than any pack I've ever had and they're only 16C! After 2 years of flying and hundreds of flights, they were destroyed by my power hungry Align 430XL motor.

If you feel like lashing out like this again, do it in a PM and spare everyone else.
arclite5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in