Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Clone of dwdw910

Default 4.0 Fix For Tail Problems

A few people here have mentioned this- I made this thread to spread the word.

If your tail will not lock, wanders or wags- here is the fix. 4.0 is great so it's worth the effort. I received this advice directly from a representative at Align and it solved all my tail problems.

1. Flash to 4.0

2. Use the software while connected to USB to visually watch the Rudder Delay Slider
- Hold set button on 3GX for two seconds
- Toggle through to get to Rudder Delay
- Set red or green to your size bird ( I use the red for my 450)
- Use the rudder stick to get the Rudder Delay Value to 0. Its kind of tricky- you just barely tap it
- LET THE UNIT TIME OUT

3. You should now see the Rudder Delay Value read 0 in the software

4. You may now need to adjust the Rudder Lock Gain down as far as 30... this will vary

5. Go through setup again with the blades at 0 pitch and main shaft square to planet earth

6. Make sure you leave DIR mode with the helicopter level and the blades at 0 pitch!

5. Enjoy 4.0 Its definitely the best yet... Pitch pumps are more stable among other improvements.

Last edited by HighVoltage450; 10-11-2013 at 03:59 PM..
HighVoltage450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Clone of dwdw910
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I flew around on 4.0 with some more tuning and noted a few more things.

I have the DFC Pro 450 by the way.

-My Rudder Delay is 0
-My Rudder Lock Gain Value is 65
-My Gyro TX is at 50% Futaba 6J

Anyway, 4.0 is butter smooth and more organic. It definitely flies more stable and everything just feels smoother.

The only thing you may not like or have to get used to- is that the rudder has a more rubber feel to it. On 3.1 it would lock and snap like a robot... Like the terminator.

On 4.0, the tail will hold and lock... its just smoother. At first I really didn't like the feel of it. It feels so different than 3.1 when you just hover around. Once you get in the air and start whipping around- you'll see why its better.

Overall, its definitely an improvement. Great update.

Last edited by HighVoltage450; 10-11-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you changing the rudder lock in the software, on the 3gx or with the radio? I set mine up like you said here and it flew really well this morning. It may be that it just flies a little different than 3.1?

edit: I flew 6 more batteries through it this afternoon, only thing off that I noticed was with right rudder input it still bounces back slightly. Left rudder is locked in.

Last edited by CrashNburn420; 10-19-2013 at 01:15 PM..
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Clone of dwdw910

You adjust the rudder delay value with the set button WHILE you are plugged into the software.

This way allows you to actually get the rudder delay to zero instead of guessing and checking while programming with the set button and TX.

If you have a bounce still.... Try turning your rudder locking gain value down ONE click at a time.

It is very sensitive and one click in the software can solve the bounce while still keeping the tail locked in heading.

The rudder on 4.0 is far different than 3.1

Its way better in actual flight but it isn't perfect in hover.

Perhaps in the next update, Align can find the best attributes of 3.1 and 4.0 rudder performance.

As a whole though, 4.0 is ridiculously good. The 3GX is as good or better than any gyro out there.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

your not saying you have to flash to 4.0 to be able to set rudder delay to 0, right, as I JUST did that on my trex450 3gx with 3,1 Im now searching forums (why i found this thread) looking for answers as to why my heli at about 40% throttle acts like I just hit HARD RIGHT on my stick and then any correction sends it HARD the other way, Ive been though all the videos, set the delay, yadda yadda yadda and still wants to spin before lift argh
billryalls is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Clone of dwdw910

No, flashing to 4.0.... I just meant that you do the update.

Edit...

You are saying that the helicopter spins around upon lift off? on the Rudder/Yaw axis?

In that case, your gyro is just programmed backwards. Read about gyro reversal setting in the manual.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4.0 rudder issues

1. Flash to 4.0

2. Use the software while connected to USB to visually watch the Rudder Delay Slider- Hold set button on 3GX for two seconds- Toggle through to get to Rudder Delay- Set red or green to your size bird ( I use the red for my 450)- Use the rudder stick to get the Rudder Delay Value to 0. Its kind of tricky- you just barely tap it- LET THE UNIT TIME OUT

4. You may now need to adjust the Rudder Lock Gain down as far as 30... this will vary

5. Go through setup again with the blades at 0 pitch and main shaft square to planet earth6. Make sure you leave DIR mode with the helicopter level and the blades at 0 pitch!5. Enjoy 4.0 Its definitely the best yet... Pitch pumps are more stable among other improvements.

I have an align 550e and have recently updated my 3GX to version 4.0. The problem that I am experiencing is that my rudder keeps bouncing back after running through the setup procedure. When I give it right or left rudder it bounces back to the center as if the heading hold is turned off. I have followed the above instructions posted by user name HighVoltage450. I was able to set my rudder delay value to 0. I just haven't figured out how to adjust my rudder lock gain. The rudder lock gain is currently set to 70.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it.
TOD022 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 4.0 Fix For Tail Problems

Mine is also doing the bounce back still but only with right rudder input. My fix is to dump 4.0 and go back to 3
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail bounce is when you test this on the bench, correct? (like that of rate mode setting we are familiar with)

I have not seen any negative issue in the air. I'm wondering if Align added this functionality for reducing issues during take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOD022 View Post
1. Flash to 4.0

2. Use the software while connected to USB to visually watch the Rudder Delay Slider- Hold set button on 3GX for two seconds- Toggle through to get to Rudder Delay- Set red or green to your size bird ( I use the red for my 450)- Use the rudder stick to get the Rudder Delay Value to 0. Its kind of tricky- you just barely tap it- LET THE UNIT TIME OUT

5. Go through setup again with the blades at 0 pitch and main shaft square to planet earth6. Make sure you leave DIR mode with the helicopter level and the blades at 0 pitch!5. Enjoy 4.0 Its definitely the best yet... Pitch pumps are more stable among other improvements.

I have an align 550e and have recently updated my 3GX to version 4.0. The problem that I am experiencing is that my rudder keeps bouncing back after running through the setup procedure. When I give it right or left rudder it bounces back to the center as if the heading hold is turned off. I have followed the above instructions posted by user name HighVoltage450. I was able to set my rudder delay value to 0. I just haven't figured out how to adjust my rudder lock gain. The rudder lock gain is currently set to 70.

nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Crashnburn420, I reverted back to version 2.1 that I've been using for the past year. I haven't had any issues with this version. Is there anyone who has successfully upgraded to 4.0? If you have, does the rudder bounce back to the center after giving it left/right rudder? If so, have you been able to successfully achieve hover without the heli wanting to spin out before take off? Have you flown successfully?

As Nameci mention, did align add this feature for reducing issues? Or does the software work for some and not for others?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Highvoltage450, How do you access the rudder locking gain? I connected the 3GX to the computer via the usb cable. I am able to view rudder parameters. My rudder locking gain is at the default 70. I am not sure how to adjust it.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Clone of dwdw910

Just take your mouse and click/hold the slider icon and adjust parameter. Or use the the plus minus buttons.

If you hold the mouse pointer over the slider bar- an icon will appear a few seconds later and describe how the parameter is adjusted correctly.

I think you said you have a 550 class helicopter? Im not sure your rudder delay should be 0 with helicopter that size. I would check with others in that forum class.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOD022 View Post
1. Flash to 4.0

Check tail rod length - rate mode, move in a hole on the servo horn, Rudder Locking Gain 40, delay to 0, increased the gyro gain - still there but much better on my 500.
Trex :- 450SE V2 retired, 250SC retired, 450 PRO fbled Airwolfed, 500 ESP fbled Airwolfed, 250DFC, 450DFC, 500DFC, 800DFC. M690l, MR25P - Futaba/Align. Blade :- 4003D retired,CX2, MQX, 350QX v3 - spektrum. 4503D, 450X - spektrum/Savox.
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Highvoltage450, thank you. I'll check the forum to see if anyone with the 550 class helicopter is experiencing similar issues.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have upgraded both my 250 DFC and 600EFL to version 4.0 and re-done the setups.
I have really no issues on either - tails are rock solid even with a 10m pitch pump and pirouettes.

I have the delay on the ail gyro 0 and the locking gain at the default 70 for both.

Pots are set to show the same value on the software, 90 for the 250 and 110 for the 600e; the rest are all default (except of the small/large heli setting and the torque comp. on the 250 that it is mounted upside down.
Randmental is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage450 View Post
2. Use the software while connected to USB to visually watch the Rudder Delay Slider
- Hold set button on 3GX for two seconds
- Toggle through to get to Rudder Delay
- Set red or green to your size bird ( I use the red for my 450)
- Use the rudder stick to get the Rudder Delay Value to 0. Its kind of tricky- you just barely tap it
- LET THE UNIT TIME OUT
Thanks for the tip. the 'LET THE UNIT TIME OUT' is the key. If you press the button again like it says to do in the instructions then it defaults back to some positive value and you can never get it to zero.
Smoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Awesome fix

HighVoltage 450 you’re my hero! In my humble opinion this thread should be a sticky with a big red flashing light!

I’ve been chasing a tail wag problem since I built the 450 pro and started flying it in April or May. I’m using the stock 3GX gyro with v3.1 firmware. I kept v3.1 and set the Rudder Lock Gain to 50 from 70. Set the Rudder Delay to zero and Bob’s you uncle!!!

Went out yesterday and no wag at all even during high speed passes and pitch pumps. Like I said I’ve been working on this problem for months and was this close to buying a Mini V-Bar and a new tail gyro. You saved me $300. Thanks!
Spektrum - DX20 / DX9 Black Editon
The Mechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
HighVoltage 450 you’re my hero! In my humble opinion this thread should be a sticky with a big red flashing light!

I’ve been chasing a tail wag problem since I built the 450 pro and started flying it in April or May. I’m using the stock 3GX gyro with v3.1 firmware. I kept v3.1 and set the Rudder Lock Gain to 50 from 70. Set the Rudder Delay to zero and Bob’s you uncle!!!

Went out yesterday and no wag at all even during high speed passes and pitch pumps. Like I said I’ve been working on this problem for months and was this close to buying a Mini V-Bar and a new tail gyro. You saved me $300. Thanks!
Sounds like your issue is due to too high of tail gyro gain on the transmitter programmed, not the same issue that OP's suggestion for V4.0 related tail issue.

I'm not sure what transmitter you are using but if your transmitter HH is 0-100 and you were using 70, it was way too high. People who are referring to 70-75% tail gyro gain for initial set up is referring to the setting for transmitter that uses 50% to 100% for HH(i.e. DX7, DX6i, X9303/9503)
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

namci,
The gain setting the OP is referring to is set in the software on the computer connected to the 3GX. It’s on the “Rudder Parameters” tab if I remember correctly; Rudder Locking Gain. It doesn’t have anything to do with the gain settings in the TX. I don’t ever remember paying any attention to it before until I read this post suggesting how to set it to a better value than the factory default of 70. For me, like I said, 50 works fine along with a Rudder Delay setting of zero.

Apparently this setting is as effective in v3.1 as it is in the new v4.0 as I haven’t flashed to v4.0 yet. In fact, I may never flash to a newer firmware ever. As they say “if it ain’t broke.” I just got it working right I’m not anxious to tamper.
Spektrum - DX20 / DX9 Black Editon
The Mechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, I read it as you have reduced your TX tail gain.

This information was posted by many different members, as an work around for those were having issues after they have upgraded to 3GX to V4.0 where same heli did not have issue on V3.1/V3.0. And this was to address the tail bounce issue. This set up on PC program was not needed to be changed for majority of the people prior to V4.0.

If this change fixed your problem, that's great. But if you had to change this setting to get rid tail wag on your 450 on V3.1 software, there is something else that may be causing the wag in first place. For V3.1, I would highly recommend getting all the software parameter to default and isolate the mechanical problem first before start messing around the PC software parameter.

BTW OP, HighVoltage450, is a clone acct of dwdw510 who has been banned for life from HF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in