Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah ha! I get it now. That's a really good idea! I did see the post about the guy wanting to mass produce them for people too. Hey more power to him. I'll see how long my original gears last and probably do the slipper clutch on first replacement. I can't wait for some devo 7 vids Finless! I got that package cause it was cheaper! LOL
Richard F. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Devo 6 videos Bob already created worked great for most of my Devo 12 setup so I would imagine they would also get you up and running with your Devo 7.
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I try them then. I did notice you can assign switches on the 6. one thing I dont like about the devo 7 is the f-mode switch and the th-hold are on the wrong sides. Worse case scenario, I manually swap those switches to either side.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not really sure they are on the wrong side, they just are not on the side typically seen in the US. Someone else can chime in if I'm wrong but this really only would be a problem if you let a friend fly your heli who doesn't know the switches.

not sure if anyone has any specifics on why a throttle hold on the left would be an issue.
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't trying To slam the devo radios at all. Its just when the hold switch is on the right side of the tx you've been using for five years, is on the opposite side, from what your used to, it can cause a problem. Just a personal preference. That's all
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli8ight View Post
I'm not really sure they are on the wrong side, they just are not on the side typically seen in the US. Someone else can chime in if I'm wrong but this really only would be a problem if you let a friend fly your heli who doesn't know the switches.

not sure if anyone has any specifics on why a throttle hold on the left would be an issue.
I think it is a muscle memory issue-- you only have a split second to hit TH to minmize damage, so if all of your other birds have the TH on RHT, then you might not hit it in time-- and worse yet, instead of hitting TH, you flip the idle switch to stunt mode...

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
I think it is a muscle memory issue-- you only have a split second to hit TH to minmize damage, so if all of your other birds have the TH on RHT, then you might not hit it in time-- and worse yet, instead of hitting TH, you flip the idle switch to stunt mode...

Chief
yeah. I didn't mean to insult people in Europe, and say that their switches are on the "wrong side". I was talking about a mode two transmitter. Hope this can clear the air.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #48 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post

Chief
I think just as much too, since it pretty much is a, every time you spin up the bird thing, that as most 3D pilots do, you just go right into flipping the switch and flying in Idle 1 or 2, and then flipping back to land.

So if you get programed in the head to use the right switch for that (and even more so as you are doing it every time you fly) then you might hit the TH switch on other birds.

So for me and I'm not knocking anyone for anything here but the ability of the 8 over the 7 to remap the switches so that I could more easily change that over, is the main reason I chose it.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saved 50 bucks by getting the devo7, and even though it's not the greatest, I'm only using it for this heli, so it'll have to do. the instruction manual leaves a lot to the imagination though.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am going to move my switches inside the radio. It will take some soldering on wire extenstions as the wires are not long enough to reach.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I'll do the same with my switches too. I don't know what to make of the expo settings on the devo 7, but I'll just have to try them out and see what happens. Heck, maybe it won't need any expo!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #52 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I am going to move my switches inside the radio. It will take some soldering on wire extenstions as the wires are not long enough to reach.

Bob
Sounds like a good topic for another one of your great how to do it right the first time vids.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Say what ever happened to a flight video of the V120D02S ? I installed a 2622V RX on my Xtreme D02. Made a very big difference . A lot more stable, and the tail holds much better.

Regards, Jeff
jlb01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Do2S wants to flip over on take off. If I give tons of cyclic in the opposte direction it doesn't flip over. I've heard a lot of stories about flybarless gyros doing that. I'm gonna turn the ele/ail gain down a little and see if that helps.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been waiting patiently to see if this heli is gonna be a worth while purchase. I am hesitant to spend the $$ to add a Walkera radio to my collection as well as how I am gonna have to rely on online shops to get parts. I consider it a gamble. All that said, this heli seemed promising. But since we have not heard from Bob since he got the heli, I can only assume he is running into several issues, and so I guess I will have to look elsewhere to spend my Christmas money. Please prove me wrong.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

As to my last post, I didn't mean there is anything wrong with it, when it gets in the air it's just fine, It drifts here and there a little, but what do expect from such a small heli. And the tail holds really well. Im impressed with it over a tail motor type. All I can say is I'm glad I waited and skipped (I don't know how many of these little helis walkera has produced since getting my 4g3) but this one is night and day compared to that prototype. I actually learned how to fly on smaller helicopters. I got this one to practice side in, and nose in orientations. If you can do that stuff with these little squirrels, the 500 is a breeze.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #57 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriffith View Post
I have been waiting patiently to see if this heli is gonna be a worth while purchase. I am hesitant to spend the $$ to add a Walkera radio to my collection as well as how I am gonna have to rely on online shops to get parts. I consider it a gamble. All that said, this heli seemed promising. But since we have not heard from Bob since he got the heli, I can only assume he is running into several issues, and so I guess I will have to look elsewhere to spend my Christmas money. Please prove me wrong.
I don't mean to say any of this as I am speaking for Bob, but we all know what he has done for our hobby so we all know what kind of guy he is. And as well, I herd his Dad was hurt and on the mend, and as well he just like the rest of us he has a family and I'm sure a lot of things for the holidays to do.

All in all, I might be wrong and again I want to stress I am not looking to speak for him, but I don't think he is not done any more videos for any illicit reasons such as suspected.

About the best info I can offer if you really want to know about this helo right now is that there is a very good and long thread going on about it over at RCG and here is the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524710

I have been following this thread for quite some time and I feel the people posting there are giving great real use feed back on it and for me it has been one that sold me on the helo. And if anyone knows me, I'm a pretty critical guy and I do spend a lot of time investigating things like this before I buy.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #58 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am hear and yes the last few weeks have been busy as my Dad was in the hospital for 3 weeks. He is home now but needs a lot of help. He fell and broke his arm at the shoulder. Had surgery at 88 and this caused blood clots in his legs and lungs. He is doing better now though.

As for flying, the last 3 weeksends out here have either been 70 mile and hour winds or rain. Sheesh. So I have a video ready that talks about the production unit over the pre-production unit etc. I was saving it to add to the flying video but Iwill just post it this week when I get time to compress it. Hopeully I will fly this Sunday but due to Christmas I kind of doubt it.

I have flown the unit and was working on trimming the pots etc. As I posted before I was working on an issue of the nose coming up in rolls and that it might be tail heavy. I have made some tweaks and as soon as I fly it again I will let you all know.

Sorry for the delays,
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #59 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I am hear and yes the last few weeks have been busy as my Dad was in the hospital for 3 weeks. He is home now but needs a lot of help. He fell and broke his arm at the shoulder. Had surgery at 88 and this caused blood clots in his legs and lungs. He is doing better now though.

As for flying, the last 3 weeksends out here have either been 70 mile and hour winds or rain. Sheesh. So I have a video ready that talks about the production unit over the pre-production unit etc. I was saving it to add to the flying video but Iwill just post it this week when I get time to compress it. Hopeully I will fly this Sunday but due to Christmas I kind of doubt it.

I have flown the unit and was working on trimming the pots etc. As I posted before I was working on an issue of the nose coming up in rolls and that it might be tail heavy. I have made some tweaks and as soon as I fly it again I will let you all know.

Sorry for the delays,
Bob
Thanks for the update Bob, glad to hear that your Dad is doing better. I took care of my parents through some pretty tough things when they got to that age and I for one know its a very commanding thing of one's life, so I applaud you for that as many just pawn that off on others.

Also yeah I didn't even think about it, but you might be a part of all of those Santa Ana winds we've been seeing on the news huh.

Reports are they are especially nasty this year.

Well for me no need to explain on your part or get on anything any faster then you want to, and all the best for the holidays.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear your dad is going better Bob.
I too was waiting for this review, but just decided to pull the trigger and get one. I’ve only had around 15-20 flights on it, and half of those flights where getting things adjusted, mostly me learning the Devo 8 TX. Can’t say I’m a big fan of this Devo… I miss having my timer come on automatically with just raising the throttle, don’t care for the TH on the other side, and you can’t really see the screen outside after the screen goes to dim mode. It’s not bad just not how I would want it.
Crashing… I did bang it around a couple of times, and it’s no way as sturdy as the McpX. Replacement parts are going to come from overseas so you will be waiting for a week or two to get things. Batteries, can’t seem to find any locally, so I’m going to have to change the plugs on things and make do with what I can get here.
Flying… It does fly well, mind you I’m only doing sport flying with it, but it does fly more like a Trex 250 rather than a McpX. The main reason I got this was to be able to go out in the front yard and get some flying in on short notice. It works great for that !
All in all it doesn’t seem like your typical Walkera heli. It’s a nice little bird, let’s see how long it holds up.
Soulss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in