Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

How much does it actually matter if the tail rotor spins the opposite direction? So long as the blades are reversed and any settings on the gyro are correct, it should fly more or less correctly, no?
wlfk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You won't get as much 'lift' out of the tail blades if they're reversed.

The blades need to go up in to the main rotor otherwise the rotor wash will take lift off the blades.

It will work... but you won't have as much power at the tail. (ask me how I know )
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #43 (permalink)

It does matter dude!

Helis always want to turn faster in one direction than the other (talking about rudder here). Its the natural behavior of having one main rotor spinning in one direction. The heli will always have quicker rudder to the opposite direction of the way the mainblades are spinning.
This means you have to have more degrees of pitch on the tail rotor to turn the same direction as the mainblades (as opposed to how much pitch you have going opposite the main rotor) so that the rate going same direction as the mainblades matches the rate turning opposite the mainblades. If the tail rotor is blowing air in the direction of the tailboom to turn in the same direction as the mainrotor this could be a problem. I'm not saying it definitely is a problem, but in theory, it could be a problem. You dont want the tail boom obstructing or redirecting air-flow from the tail rotor when youre turning in the direction the heli doesnt like to naturally turn into. Which side you mount, or which way the tail is spinning will make a difference. How much difference is yet to be determined. My guess is it would make a slight but notable difference between the 2 different conifigurations. Just some food for thought.
glarepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Would like to convert my Trex 250SE to TT...has all the issue been resolved re: tail rotor direction, and if so, what do I require to complete? I am still a little confused. Do I just need the Tarot 250 Shaft Driven Set : http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-250-spa...1-p-62397.html

or do I also need the TT tail: http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-250-par...0-p-62112.html

or do I just use the pieces from the Align belt tail with the Shaft Driven set? I would hate to order it and then wait, only to discover upon delivery that I require something else and have to wait longer.

Jim
Newfie Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes oomodel has it fixed. I also ordered the gear box and it also included the extra shaft and spacer.
mhills51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

the only thing you need is the bottom part of the tail gear(belt) box everything else is in the kit, use the side plates off the old tail
t250se 3blade head]t 250se fbl 250spmotor ,hitec 65hb cyclic gp780 giro mks 480mg /t250pro 250mx motor savox 257mg align g31 /ds 480mg tail/alzrc devil 450,kst 115mg cyclic/ds520 tail turnigy typhoon motor/yep 45a esc /dx8...my flying ability
noddyflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

JoeW
I looked up the issue in my helicopter textbook (Leishman), and the only thing mentioned was that you get more rotor noise and vibration due to interactions between the main rotor vortices and the tail rotor, if it turns in the 'wrong' direction. It doesn't mention efficiency at all, so presumably there are no strong theoretical reasons to believe it should be an issue.

Is the problem perhaps mechanical rather than aerodynamic? On the 250 the throw on the tail is not symmetrical so if you reverse the tailblades you end up with the reduced control throw in the direction where you need it most. Could perhaps be overcome by reversing the tailgrips so that they lead rather than lag.

glarepro:
It's true that mounting the tail rotor so that it's blowing air away from the fin and boom is more efficient than blowing air over the fin (by about 10%) but this shouldn't be an issue in this case, as all we're talking about is the direction of rotation of the tail rotor. The torque from the main rotor is still causing yaw in the same direction, so we still need to push air away from the fin.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfk View Post
JoeW
I looked up the issue in my helicopter textbook (Leishman), and the only thing mentioned was that you get more rotor noise and vibration due to interactions between the main rotor vortices and the tail rotor, if it turns in the 'wrong' direction. It doesn't mention efficiency at all, so presumably there are no strong theoretical reasons to believe it should be an issue.

Is the problem perhaps mechanical rather than aerodynamic? On the 250 the throw on the tail is not symmetrical so if you reverse the tailblades you end up with the reduced control throw in the direction where you need it most. Could perhaps be overcome by reversing the tailgrips so that they lead rather than lag.

glarepro:
It's true that mounting the tail rotor so that it's blowing air away from the fin and boom is more efficient than blowing air over the fin (by about 10%) but this shouldn't be an issue in this case, as all we're talking about is the direction of rotation of the tail rotor. The torque from the main rotor is still causing yaw in the same direction, so we still need to push air away from the fin.
It's basic flight theory... A wing with a head wind will generate more lift than a wing with a tail wind.

On the 250, the forward blade is coming in to the dirtiest air from the main rotors down wash. If the forward blade is going down, that blade essentially has a tail wind and will not generate as much lift as it could if it was going in to the rotor wash. That dirty air would also make the tail the most unstable if it was coming at it from behind.

Because of that basic fact, the tail is designed to rotate with the forward blade going up in to the rotor wash, and the pitch is offset in the required direction.

If you reverse the rotation of the blades, you suffer on both fronts. You will not have enough pitch in the direction needed for maximum torque compensation, and the tail won't be generating as much lift as it could because it's not 'flying in to the wind'

It's the same reason we take off in to the wind with a plank.

The rear most tail blade has the least interaction with this dirty air, so you have more possible to gain from the forward one going up in to the rotor wash than the back.

Hope that helps

Joe
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I see where you're coming from. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You need the side plates off a Tarot tail, I have tried HK and align. Both put the end support bar too close to the bevel gear to work.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #51 (permalink)

I think I'm going to wait for ALIGN to sort all this TT tail stuff out before I buy an aftermarket kit. ALIGN's TT should be out by June.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarepro View Post
I think I'm going to wait for ALIGN to sort all this TT tail stuff out before I buy an aftermarket kit. ALIGN's TT should be out by June.
I've got enough belts to last me until then for sure!
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

mhills, how's the 250 TT going?
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
You need the side plates off a Tarot tail, I have tried HK and align. Both put the end support bar too close to the bevel gear to work.
i cut down the tie bar from a boom holder loads of clearance all round
t250se 3blade head]t 250se fbl 250spmotor ,hitec 65hb cyclic gp780 giro mks 480mg /t250pro 250mx motor savox 257mg align g31 /ds 480mg tail/alzrc devil 450,kst 115mg cyclic/ds520 tail turnigy typhoon motor/yep 45a esc /dx8...my flying ability
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Big set back. I thought my boom was mounted solid, but at speed it pulled out breaking my tail servo and bending the tail shaft. I used a Align boom mount and tarot tail boom. Next I got some align booms and if that don't work I will throw the boom mount on the belt sander and take it a little bit down
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarepro View Post
It does matter dude!

Helis always want to turn faster in one direction than the other (talking about rudder here). Its the natural behavior of having one main rotor spinning in one direction. The heli will always have quicker rudder to the opposite direction of the way the mainblades are spinning.
This means you have to have more degrees of pitch on the tail rotor to turn the same direction as the mainblades (as opposed to how much pitch you have going opposite the main rotor) so that the rate going same direction as the mainblades matches the rate turning opposite the mainblades. If the tail rotor is blowing air in the direction of the tailboom to turn in the same direction as the mainrotor this could be a problem. I'm not saying it definitely is a problem, but in theory, it could be a problem. You dont want the tail boom obstructing or redirecting air-flow from the tail rotor when youre turning in the direction the heli doesnt like to naturally turn into. Which side you mount, or which way the tail is spinning will make a difference. How much difference is yet to be determined. My guess is it would make a slight but notable difference between the 2 different conifigurations. Just some food for thought.
Old wife's tale, the TDR has the tail rotor turning CW if viewed from the right, NO problems and NONE of the symptoms you describe are present. Just fit the tail blades the other direction, make sure of gyro direction and rudder direction and fly it.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no desire to convert my 250 to torque tube.

The belt is reliable and, when set up properly, low drag. I have any desire for the added complexity, extra parts and repair costs, and increased drag of the torque tube (five additional bearings, two sets of gears, changing the direction of the power transmission 90 degrees-twice).
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I have no desire to convert my 250 to torque tube.

The belt is reliable and, when set up properly, low drag. I have any desire for the added complexity, extra parts and repair costs, and increased drag of the torque tube (five additional bearings, two sets of gears, changing the direction of the power transmission 90 degrees-twice).
give it a go first ah clem, a 250 TT may have potential???
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

i have one of each (tt and belt) and find the tt to be more solid, quieter less vibration (same giro settings)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyflyer View Post
i have one of each (tt and belt) and find the tt to be more solid, quieter less vibration (same giro settings)

Exactly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in