Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios

Hitec Radios Hitec Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Aurora 9 and Align Gyro

I'm trying to set-up a 450 Sport. Can not figure out the settings on the radio.

It is basically stock except I used 3-HS-65MG, and a Futaba 9257 with step down for the tail.

I'm new to heli's, watched Finless 450 Pro videos and set the gyro, but can't figure out the radio.

I've read this thread on the A9 and the 401 but can not figure out how to get a NEG setting. http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t575996p1/

When I tried to set it up I used a dual mode and a switch so I could switch off the gyro and get into rate mode. But in HH mode the slightest movement of the stick moves the tail all the way end to end. In rate mode right rotor worked okay but left would jump around. It got worse when I tried to move EPA to +140, -140

This newbie is lost!
Fierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still learning too sigh.
ccieslin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face

I had the same issues with my aurora 9

This is how I have in my trex 250 w/750 gyro:

++Gyro to channel 5

++Gyro channel to switch A (this is to allow HH vs rate mode)

++EPA menu: +140% and -140% on the gyro channel

++In the gyro menu, Select S NOT C (this is a global setting for the gyro setting vs single
setting for that particular heli)

++Select Single mode NOT Dual mode

++Gain to between 9 thru 20 (test this to get wag)

I was able to discover this out setting up a logitec 6100 because I could actually see what gain I had (i.e. HH vs rate and actual gain)

check out Helibreeze's explanation :

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t575996p1/

If you have to set up the gyro in rate mode for whatever reason, it gets much more complicated. You have to set it dual mode and switch A to rate mode then bring the gain to between 50 thru 100 (closer to 100 brings you closer to zero gain in rate mode & closer to 50 brings you up to 100 in actual gain)

This is how I have my setup and if anyone has a better setup, please share
h4tran is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have found a issue that could help some people. On initial setup in the channel menu I assigned the gryo function to switch "b" and then also in the gyro menu also set the switch to "b" and this only let me set my gain to around 15-25. After some research I wanted to prove or disprove helibreeze's fix. What I did was go to channel menu and set gyro channel switch to null and keep settings in gyro menu to switch "b". Low and behold now I can set my gyro gain to 65-70 just like you do in other radios. Also the "c" vs "s" explanation helibreeze gives is wrong, it does not combine both rates, only thing that is for is the differant flight modes like normal, idle1, and throttle hold. If you set to "s" you have to make sure to set the rates individually for each flight mode, if set to "c" and rate change will be same changes for each flight mode.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ccieslin,

I will try your setup with my logitec 6100 to see what I get.

I assume that for you to switch between HH and rate mode you select the "dual mode" and then switch it between "nor" and "tail lock".

++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay, just did some testing.

Per ccieslin,

I set the gyro channel to "null"
In the gyro menu I assigned my gyro switch to "E" instead of "B" (as I like to be able to switch btw three settings)

On my Logitec if I select "dual mode" and "tail-lock", then it is a 1 to 1 setting on the actual gyro
Example: "dual mode" & "tail-lock" at 54 = actual gain of 54 in HH mode
Example: "dual mode" & "nor" at 50 = actual gain of 50 in rate mode

I also tried switching it to "C" vs "S" and there seems to be no difference. However I have not tried flying any of my Heli's to confirm any of the above.

I like this better as I know for a fact I'm 1 to 1 in whichever mode that I select in the menu (i.e. "normal" vs. "tail-lock".)

What's interesting is that if I select "dual mode" & "normal" at 0, I get an actual rate mode gain of 1.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use single mode, dual mode is for older "dual rate" gyro's. I just flip switch "b" to change from rate mode and hh mode. First rate is around 70 which is switch up and second rate is 45 flip switch down.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay,

I see now so above 50 in "normal" mode puts your gyro in HH mode and below 50 (i.e. 45 in your radio) puts you in rate mode.

But I will test what the gyro is seeing if I'm in "single" mode vs. "dual" mode.

I thought most modern gyro's have a HH and rate mode. This is what I thought was referred to as dual modes.

So far what I like about using "dual" modes and assigning "tail-lock" vs "nor" in the "dual" modes is that it is a one for one gain value in HH and rate modes.

Do you know how to post pictures here ? It might be easier to show other's what we mean if there are pictures.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
okay here's what the gyro is seeing in "single" mode

>50 is equal to 0-100 in HH actual gain.

Example: 68 = 35 actual gain in HH mode

At 50, you're in rate mode at 0 actual gain

From 50 to 0 in the "single" mode you're in rate mode. The closer to 50, the lower the actual gain in rate mode.

example: 23 = 48 actual gain in rate mode
versus 49 = 1 actual gain in rate mode
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I still think is better solution is utilizing "dual" mode (then "tail lock" vs. "nor") to toggle btw HH and rate mode because it's a one to one actual gain.

Just my 2cents
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup that was confusing to me too as I thought as well that dual rate mode meant hh and rate mode but this is wrong as I did a "dual rate gyro" search on google and this seems to be a specific function of older telebee gyros.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4tran View Post
I had the same issues with my aurora 9

This is how I have in my trex 250 w/750 gyro:

++Gyro to channel 5

++Gyro channel to switch A (this is to allow HH vs rate mode)

++EPA menu: +140% and -140% on the gyro channel

++In the gyro menu, Select S NOT C (this is a global setting for the gyro setting vs single
setting for that particular heli)

++Select Single mode NOT Dual mode

++Gain to between 9 thru 20 (test this to get wag)

I was able to discover this out setting up a logitec 6100 because I could actually see what gain I had (i.e. HH vs rate and actual gain)

check out Helibreeze's explanation :

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t575996p1/

If you have to set up the gyro in rate mode for whatever reason, it gets much more complicated. You have to set it dual mode and switch A to rate mode then bring the gain to between 50 thru 100 (closer to 100 brings you closer to zero gain in rate mode & closer to 50 brings you up to 100 in actual gain)

This is how I have my setup and if anyone has a better setup, please share
I read Helibreeze's post. However I couldd find no way of getting the A9's Gain into a "negative" #. Then at the end he says set gain to 70%. I got confused, which isn't hard for me
Fierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fierce,

I'm using a combination of Ceislin and Helibreeze's instructions and can confirm it based on screen readings from my logictech 6100 and found it to work on my quark and ds760 as well. My heli's are holding great with these settings.

Do the following:

1. Go to the "channel" menu and set gyro channel to null (ensure the gyro calibration plug is in the right channel on the receiver)
++++ (I use channel 5)

2. Go to "EPA" menu and set gyro to +100% and -100%

3. Go to the "gyro" menu and set it "S"

3. In the "gyro" menu, select a switch you want to flip between different gyro settings

4. Select "dual" mode in the gyro menu

5. For HH, use between 20-45% with "tail-lock" selected

6. For rate mode, make sure you select "nor"

With this, I've noticed that with it setup this way, I get a one to one ratio of menu selected gain and actual gain. Meaning the following: 30 selected on "tail-lock" equals 31 on actual gain in ACVS (HH mode).

As you can see in the last pic posted, I have "rate 1" to 50 and in "nor" which would correspond to 51% actual gain in rate mode. I have "rate 3" to 25 in "tail-lock" which corresponds to 26% actual gain in ACVS/HH mode.

++++ You'll have to find (i.e. hover the heli) the gyro gain numbers that work for your heli. These are the gain values that work for my particular gyro and servo setup for a particular heli++++

If this doesn't work you must have a mechanical setup issue with the tail. (i.e. rudder servo is too slow, too much rub on the hail hub for the slider to move freely, binding of tail hub, tail rudder servo arm not set to 90 and slider to mid point, too low headspeed leading to inadequate rotorspeed, tail belt too tight/loose)

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	channel.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	149773   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPA.JPG
Views:	1048
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	149774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyro menu.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	149775  

Last edited by h4tran; 04-07-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot, this finaly made my setup of my Aurora and Quark gyro work. Hope you dont mind me copying your post to the E-sky Belt CP forum. Regards Knutenf
knutenf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool. what kind of bird do you have the quark on ? Waiting to get my aurora back from hitec.. fried it..sucks.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I`have a Belt Cp V1. Im a newbe and have crashed a lot, but the Aurora made things a lot easier. Im hoping the Quark gyro will do the same because the stock gyro was only rate mode.

To bad about your Aurora, what happend?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my aurora. I got a 9303 in a trade and I'm about to sell it because it's so much harder to use and set up.

I had a huge brain fart and plugged in my lipo battery the wrong polarity and then there was smoke. This is when I was about to cry. I sent it in to hitec and we'll see how and went it will be fixed.

Hitec is so smart because they actually have the polarity engraved on the back of the case so you don't mess it up. But somehow I managed to do screw it up.

Your quark gyro costs more than your heli..haha but thats cool because I have several 250 clones which the quark work great on and happen to cost more than the heli.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi again, wrong polarity sounds just like the kind of mockup I could do:o. Hope Hitec fix it for you, I would realy have banged my head aswell if somthing like this had happend to it. And even though my Belt was cheap once, it is`nt so cheep anymore. I have made quite a bit of upgrades and put good stuff into it. I think its a great platform to learn from, and parts are cheap. If i ever get to master it desently, I will by a better 450 and perhaps rebuild the Belt to stock. That way I can enjoy its spesial design and foults as it is. for now though, Im realy looking forward to try it with the Quark.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where do you have your actual (Gain/ATV) potentiometers set at; 50% or turned all the way up?
Scairborne66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

my I have those potentiometers for the gain set at 100% (i.e turned all the way clock wise)

ATV potentiometer is set based on travel of rudder w/o the slider bottoming out to each side.

Does that help ?

Last edited by h4tran; 05-04-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

absolutely... thanks for the tips!
Scairborne66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

basically you'll be using the radio to set the actual gain of the gyro.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMHO you would be better off using a channel, assign a switch and then set the gain with the EPA's of the channel. The Gyro menu is confusing because the values force you to go back and forth to the MONITOR screen to see what you actually are doing with the channel. Map one of the AUX channels to port 5 in the RX and set the gains with EPA's. Example: Map AUX 2 to port 5 in the RX, set the starting values for the gyro gains at -40 for rate mode and +40 for HH and you should have a good starting point.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in